Shining a light on Shady

BADOLBILZ

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm talking about pushing him out behind the scenes, not on the field.

As for Fred's short yardage stats, here's his career

3rd/4th & short 80 att 269 yds 3.4 avg 3 TDs 47 1Dns

That's barely good. Good average per carry as I remember him breaking a couple long ones on short yardage, not so great percentage at all. Plus I said goal line, which is a little different. For some reason he was stuffed at the goal line a lot in his career and I thought Fred was a fabulous player. One of the ten guys on my Top Five All Time Favorite Bill list.

So those games where Shady was out and the run game didn't exist?

I mean Karlos Williams 18 rushes for 40 yards sure was good against the Giants. Or was it Boom Herron and company against the Titans that really drove home your point.

Good post. Give yourself another pat on the back.

YUP. #facts

It could come into play when he stops getting the ball next season.

This is ludicrous. Seems the OP has a vendetta against McCoy. He was awesome when he was playing, what's the beef?

Yup

That's barely good. Good average per carry as I remember him breaking a couple long ones on short yardage, not so great percentage at all. Plus I said goal line, which is a little different. For some reason he was stuffed at the goal line a lot in his career and I thought Fred was a fabulous player. One of the ten guys on my Top Five All Time Favorite Bill list.

He had 7 red goal to go TDs in 2013, and fell down to 2 in 2014.

He had 7 red goal to go TDs in 2013, and fell down to 2 in 2014.

He had one good year out of about ten (120 games). I've seen his splits. In 8 career fourth down carries he has three first downs. Again, I love the guy.

Why would you suspect behind the scenes Shady did stuff to hurt Fred? Shady spoke very highly of him. Fred can only play 10-15 snaps a game now.

Ironically, Fred's greatest short yardage play ever occurred against Rex in 2013. On the last play of the first quarter, he ran for 59 yards after being hit by at least 3 people in the backfield on a 3rd and 1. I wonder if Rex remembers that.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201309220nyj.htm

As for why he was cut, it seems simple to me: Whaley preferred his guy, Bryce Brown. Whaley has made some good moves and has some good instincts, but not in this particular instance.

Edited by dave mcbride

McCoy's contract, particularly this coming off-season, needs to be a part of the discussion regardless of how much Pegula spends. What the Bills did giving him an extension to placate his trade inhibits their ability to staff other positions, namely defensive ones. And that will undoubtedly be a requirement real soon.

I think certain fans like (and vocally support) McCoy more for his name than his output on the field. He's in the news a lot and for a team with (some) fans starving for any shred of attention, he provides that. What he doesn't provide is value based on his contract.

People worrying about Shady's contract need to come to grip with two things:

1. The NFL cap is fluid, flexible, and will keep going up 10+ million a year for the duration of McCoy's deal (perhaps more when the new tv contract are negotiated).

2. We have an owner who is willing to spend to the cap (and beyond) each year.

These points are often overlooked because most Bills fans are used to how the team used to do business (as cheaply as possible). As a result, most of us are conditioned to worry unnecessarily about the cap and how the numbers will work out. Even if his deal was too rich (which I completely disagree with) his deal is not going to prevent the Bills from retaining the guys they want or signing new players. It's not an outrageously rich contract that's going to hamper the Bills cap situation by any stretch unless you believe the cap is rigid. This part of the discussion when it comes to McCoy has been completely overblown by people who frankly just do not understand the NFL salary cap or how successful teams work the cap to their favor.

So, if you put the contract concerns aside and focus of the player himself what do you see? I'd argue you see the best RB the Bills have had since Lynch. You can bend the stats to paint whatever picture you want, as we have seen in this thread, but your eyeballs should show you the reality: He is an elite player in a league where you need elite players to be a top tier team. RBs have been devalued as a position, yes, but elite rbs are incredibly valuable because they are game changers. Shady is still, without a doubt, a RB who, DC's have to account for, have to scheme for, and who keeps opposing defenses on their heels because he's a threat to score each time he touches the ball.

McCoy's impact on the offense and its effectiveness is clear, he's the engine that makes the Bills' offense work. Saying otherwise is ignoring what actually happened on the field in games he played versus ones he sat. It's also evident in the teams rushing numbers and his pro bowl selection. McCoy is a centerpiece, he's still young (yes even for a RB) and has shown no signs of losing a step (and I've looked, and watched him his whole career). He blocks, he's a threat in space, he also can score from anywhere despite the ridiculous claims that he's not a TD maker.

I say we should just enjoy watching the best RB this team has seen in half a decade and worry about the areas on this team that are actually a problem -- there are plenty of those that should concern Bills' fans but McCoy ain't one of them.

/my 2 cents

People worrying about Shady's contract need to come to grip with two things:

1. The NFL cap is fluid, flexible, and will keep going up 10+ million a year for the duration of McCoy's deal (perhaps more when the new tv contract are negotiated).

2. We have an owner who is willing to spend to the cap (and beyond) each year.

These points are often overlooked because most Bills fans are used to how the team used to do business (as cheaply as possible). As a result, most of us are conditioned to worry unnecessarily about the cap and how the numbers will work out. Even if his deal was too rich (which I completely disagree with) his deal is not going to prevent the Bills from retaining the guys they want or signing new players. It's not an outrageously rich contract that's going to hamper the Bills cap situation by any stretch unless you believe the cap is rigid. This part of the discussion when it comes to McCoy has been completely overblown by people who frankly just do not understand the NFL salary cap or how successful teams work the cap to their favor.

So, if you put the contract concerns aside and focus of the player himself what do you see? I'd argue you see the best RB the Bills have had since Lynch. You can bend the stats to paint whatever picture you want, as we have seen in this thread, but your eyeballs should show you the reality: He is an elite player in a league where you need elite players to be a top tier team. RBs have been devalued as a position, yes, but elite rbs are incredibly valuable because they are game changers. Shady is still, without a doubt, a RB who, DC's have to account for, have to scheme for, and who keeps opposing defenses on their heels because he's a threat to score each time he touches the ball.

McCoy's impact on the offense and its effectiveness is clear, he's the engine that makes the Bills' offense work. Saying otherwise is ignoring what actually happened on the field in games he played versus ones he sat. It's also evident in the teams rushing numbers and his pro bowl selection. McCoy is a centerpiece, he's still young (yes even for a RB) and has shown no signs of losing a step (and I've looked, and watched him his whole career). He blocks, he's a threat in space, he also can score from anywhere despite the ridiculous claims that he's not a TD maker.

I say we should just enjoy watching the best RB this team has seen in half a decade and worry about the areas on this team that are actually a problem -- there are plenty of those that should concern Bills' fans but McCoy ain't one of them.

/my 2 cents

I agree with this.

As many of you know, I've been a vocal detractor of the LeSean McCoy acquisition.

I made my points this summer and early in the season and all I could do was let the season play out.

Though I wish I was wrong, I was not.

I am wondering if the picture is coming into focus for some of you.

LeSean is nowhere near being a superstar. Not close.

He is a nice back. He is VERY entertaining but he is barely above average in terms of production.

For all his shiftiness......he doesn't make big plays.......he's a singles hitter.........and combine that with his frequent net-zero runs and inability to be physical in short yardage and you understand why a guy with such fancy feet lead the NFL in FEWEST yards per play in 2014.

I know there are many people still in denial.....like I said, he is entertaining......but it is not just a coincidence that less than great backs like Karlos and Gilliislee come in and regularly make big runs while Shady has one big play(48 yarder in home game versus Miami) to show for 200 plus carries.

We all know this is NOT a great OL. But the plays are there.......other backs are making them.

The OTHER backs are also more physical.

If you are going to run for 4.2-4.4 ypc like Shady has 3 of the past 4 seasons......then one would hope that a physical toll is being exacted on the defense.

With Shady there is NONE of that.

McCoy was a bad scheme fit for this offense.

There is no inside game with him in there and we saw the past two weeks that opponents familiar with McCoy knew this and rendered him relatively ineffective.

I am not saying that Karlos or Gillislee are the answers......but IMO, two years of average production from McCoy prove to me that he is NOT.

And now, the Bills are on the hook for $20M+ in guaranteed money for him going forward.

interesting comments as always badol....the only defense i have for this deal is that he played better than the guy we gave up for him. i always though kiko was overrrated by bills fans.

he played well this year...it's the heinous contract that will bite us in the ass...that's why whaley needs someone holding his hand if he's going to stay.

maybe if you're the bills you rationalize by thinking it's a lock you're going to the playoffs and you want to have this guy NOW while he's still good?

i guess that only makes sense if you don't piss away all those close games. oh well.

Badol only speaks when it's convenient to his narrative. It looks bad, because it is bad.

Say what you will about the post, but this is most definitely not true. He says these sorts of things even when the evidence at a particular point in time seems to point in a different way, and has been doing it for nearly 20 years here. He was saying this stuff after McCoy's good games, saying in effect, "just wait and see." you can criticize him for the take, but not for the timing of his takes.

Yea, he made the pro bowl on a bad team, so he must suck! :doh:

I love Shady McCoy in a manly " here have a beer on me" sort of way. Like Fred Jackson did his entire career in Buffalo, and what CJ Spiller was able to do for one year. McCoy made something out of nothing more often than not.

I can tell you that the majority of Eagle fans are bleating like baby sheep they still don't have McCoy.

If the Bills had been able to properly upgrade the right side of that line along with a more experienced QB the offense is top five this year IMO