Report: Mario Could Be Gone- NFL.com

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate this. Loved getting Mario and he is fantastic when is he on. But there is something wrong here.

Of course something is wrong here, it's Rex. That dude in you avatar. Mario, Bradham,Preston,Kyle all of a sudden can't play d? Yea something is wrong.

I wonder the same. It's like he's not really willing to use a variety of moves from play to play. It's kinda painful to watch.

I believe I've heard he is being used to set edges, at least that's what I've listened to the commentators say several times......

Of course something is wrong here, it's Rex. That dude in you avatar. Mario, Bradham,Preston,Kyle all of a sudden can't play d? Yea something is wrong.

Kyle Williams? Yeah, he is not on the field.

Bradham. Not on the field.

Now Preston Brown looks lost and can't tackle. Sorry, that's on him.

Mario? I see him out there against backup RT's and ZERO pressure.

Dareus is the only player I can say has dropped because of scheme and you didn't mention him.

That's right. When I watch him he's trying to push the lineman straight back - and he's legitimately trying to do that in terms of effort. As we've said there's no other attempt being made - so is that what he's being asked to do and what he's frustrated about or is he playing with a bad attitude? I honestly have no idea what the answer is but it's clear it has zero to do with complexity and dropping in coverage.

I disagree. I'd say it more proves that Rex has pissed off his defensive players - or at least most definitely the defensive line. It's not just Mario - you'd have to put Hughes, Dareus and Brown in that group too. I'll concede to the effort of Hughes but he's being underutilized just the same. Imagine if this was Hughes contract year - do you think he'd have a few things to say to the media?

Not only did we have one of the most feared defensive teams in the NFL last year but there was clear cohesion and comradery. This year at least on the field it's totally disjointed. If you believe the players - it's on Rex.

This is a complete 180 from last year. These guys didn't forget how to play football in 1 yr. They were all in and excited just like we were. They were duped just like we were. I'm with the players on this one, it's on Rex.

Kyle can't play because he's hurt. He looked good the first part of the year, was a beast vs Tennessee. The LBs aren't a match for what they were asked to do in the scheme this year and Mario IS a fit for the scheme but doesn't want to be in it. I'm not really defending Rex because I think he did a lot wrong but that's just my thought on those particular players.

That's right. When I watch him he's trying to push the lineman straight back - and he's legitimately trying to do that in terms of effort. As we've said there's no other attempt being made - so is that what he's being asked to do and what he's frustrated about or is he playing with a bad attitude? I honestly have no idea what the answer is but it's clear it has zero to do with complexity and dropping in coverage.

I disagree. I'd say it more proves that Rex has pissed off his defensive players - or at least most definitely the defensive line. It's not just Mario - you'd have to put Hughes, Dareus and Brown in that group too. I'll concede to the effort of Hughes but he's being underutilized just the same. Imagine if this was Hughes contract year - do you think he'd have a few things to say to the media?

Not only did we have one of the most feared defensive teams in the NFL last year but there was clear cohesion and comradery. This year at least on the field it's totally disjointed. If you believe the players - it's on Rex.

Mario Williams has embodied the scapegoat. He has been doing a very good job setting the edge but has not played terrifically good football. It is hard to understand that on face value, but read the quotes and read between his quotes and lines.

Mario has complained about very simple things going on with this team. The inability to get the proper personnel on the field, the inability to call and adjust defensively, the inability to recognize offensive situations which put the defensive unit in a bind (calling timeouts, challenging plays, etc). Basically, Mario has called out the poor coaching and leadership off of the field.

This also combined with removing Fred Jackson, injuries to Kyle Wiliams and Aaron Williams and the lack of Eric Wood to become a leader have become and issue. When Mario entered Buffalo he insisted he would not take a leadership role. Anyone who understands basic psychology knew that would never be the case; when you're the best player on your team and you're the highest earning than you are going to be a leader, if only by example. All eyes are going to be on you.

Mario's frustration is clear. If anyone has paid attention he has shown this on the field and I am sure other players have fed off of his frustration. I have seen Gilmore and Graham show frustration when players have made very poor plays or errors. McKelvin, Brooks, the LB unit, etc have let down a lot of the team but they have shown the ability to play in the NFL and based off of their experience I would place their value above Rex Ryan's defense.

I still hold hope that Mario is back next year, that Rex Ryan is forced to make major changes to his staff - if he is retained. I still think some things could cause major sweeping changes in Buffalo that could blow up and that won't involve Whaley leaving. If Rex Ryan does come out to be the source of a lot of these rumors than that will be one issue. But, if it is similar to what we heard with Marrone complaining than maybe Whaley needs his reigns brought in a little. Maybe that will not be such a bad thing but Doug Whaley and Mario Williams are much better at their jobs then Rex Ryan and his coaching staff are better at their jobs.

I don't think he's impressed with his coaches. Noticed his bully comment too. if I was a betting man, he's gone. Or his coach is.
i wish he was more of a leader.

mccoy, watkins and others have made the same type of bully comments.

I wonder the same. It's like he's not really willing to use a variety of moves from play to play. It's kinda painful to watch.

I think they should just make him an inactive for the last two games.

I'll be the first to blame this coaching staff for this debacle......the first two moves the Monday after the Jets game should be Crossman and Thurman fired if not Rex too......... but like you said it looks like Mario just isn't even trying to disengage from the OT.

It's like he is so wrapped up in proving how bad this system is that he is f*cking HIMSELF up.

Another thing I noticed in the preseason was that Mario hurt his arm/shoulder and was shaking it in one of the games like maybe he didn't have feeling in it.

After seeing the Mean Joe Greene Football Life show it's possible that something happened to Mario that has weakened his arm to a point where he can't disengage....but we haven't heard a word from him about it and haven't seen him favoring it at all during the season.

There are some super weird dudes on this team and nobody has ever accused him of sound judgement so I wouldn't put it past him to be dogging it but there is no doubt his play has been inexplicable, if nothing else.

I agree, if your people are PRODUCING and happy, don't F with the system, it's now completely broken.....

Not real hard to figure out......we tried changing things up before and got killed (not that they were real good back then). Now, they've screwed up awesome : /

Edited by firemedic

Kyle Williams? Yeah, he is not on the field.

Bradham. Not on the field.

Now Preston Brown looks lost and can't tackle. Sorry, that's on him.

Mario? I see him out there against backup RT's and ZERO pressure.

Dareus is the only player I can say has dropped because of scheme and you didn't mention him.

Guess my point Rex is what's wrong. Whether Darius is included or forgotten. Too many players to list that don't work in rex's scheme. He did take a damn good d and made them, not just average but below average. But that's jmo.

Guess my point Rex is what's wrong. Whether Darius is included or forgotten. Too many players to list that don't work in rex's scheme. He did take a damn good d and made them, not just average but below average. But that's jmo.

The D is worse. The scheme is not a great fit, I agree there. But now what? 2 of our best 4-3 Dlinemen are Kyle and Mario. Do you want to build around these two injured, older players moving forward? And ANOTHER scheme change for next year?

Edited by jeffismagic

The numbers and performance drop off says it all. Rex has done what he said he wouldn't do, force a system on players instead of best utilizing the talent he had. This passive, rush 3 crap is sickening to watch. The D quit on him today. 14 games in and they still don't know where to line up or who to cover. We wasted a year on this crap with a roster like this...it just pisses me off. The game has passed Rex by. I didn't necessarily think we were a lock to be a playoff team, but I didn't expect us to be an embarrassment on national TV 14 games in.

Edited by Green Lightning

The D is worse. The scheme is not a great fit, I agree there. But now what? 2 of our best 4-3 Dlinemen are Kyle and Mario. Do you want to build around these two injured, older players moving forward? And ANOTHER scheme change for next year?

Now what?! Rex can do what he said before the season started he said he isn't stuck to one scheme. We all know windows close quick in the NFL. We HAD a damn good d that was set to be this way for 2-3 years. Well we wasted this year and now we're gonna blow it up. Rex was supposed to take THIS team to the playoffs, with this d. So again to answer the question I want him to do what he was brought in for. Because so far he lied to us.

Edited by Dopey

Now what?! Rex can do what he said before the season started he said he isn't stuck to one scheme. We all know windows close quick in the NFL. We HAD a damn good d that was set to be this way for 2-3 years. Well we wasted this year and now we're gonna blow it up. Rex was supposed to take THIS team to the playoffs, with this d. So again to answer the question I want him to do what he was brought in for. Because so far he lied to us.

So you want Rex to run his scheme or a 4-3?

I firmly believe this is where we are headed.... Whaley will be gone. We let players walk, draft specific to Rex's scheme, cut previous pro-bowlers all to match a scheme that over the past few years has proven to be outdated. All in on Rex. All to give a below .500 career HC, the players he needs to potentially be successful.

Fast forward a year or two down the road and we will need that 4-3 pass rusher (Mario) to suit the new HC in town. Rinse and repeat.

Edited by jmc12290