New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

On 5/11/2024 at 6:18 AM, ScotSHO said:

Many southerners I have met explain it like this - they set the huge race issues aside (typically thru the eye of how the world viewed slavery in 1860) and talk about the unfair tariffs at that time & states rights vs. federal rights.  They also lost almost the same number of ancestors (60/40).  So they view the naming of a couple of the rebel leaders that retained their dignity (notice Jefferson Davis isn't named for sh*t) as a way to retain their rebelliousness.  A reminder that they'll go along, but do need to their viewpoint be heard.  Like it or not, it's become their regional identity.  Undoing that slowly drives that old wedge back into place.

BS.  I was born in Texas and lived there 40+ years.  I never once heard anyone that lives there say slavery or the civil war is their "regional identity".  Sure, horrible history happened there and the people I knew certainly aren't proud of it.

I always viewed the south's identity to be music.  Rock, blues, Jazz, and c&w all started there and is the birthplace of many great musicians.  Like the Charlie Daniels song lyrics.

Edited by reddogblitz

On 5/10/2024 at 2:46 PM, B-Man said:

The schools had their names changed back.

"We appreciate your dedication to our schools and the well-being of our students, Restoring these names would demonstrate a commitment to inclusivity, respect for history, and responsiveness to community feedback."

The group's letter stated Confederate Gens. Jackson and Lee, and Cmdr. Ashby have historical connections to Virginia and the commonwealth's history

Yup, a connection in fighting to keep black people enslaved

• Eyeroll 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Leftists being leftists

Anti-Israel activists vandalize Ben Franklin statue at UPenn, call it ‘symbol of imperial violence and colonialism.’

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjYW1wdXMucmVmb3JtIiwia2V5

https://www.campusreform.org/article/anti-israel-activists-vandalize-ben-franklin-statue-upenn-call-symbol-imperial-violence-colonialism/26358

Yeah. Cause electricity is so racist and regressive.  

Does UPenn still have the china fusion center and the Biden center in it?  

Seems that school has bigger issues than a statue. 

https://www.archives.gov/legislative/features/franklin

During his life, Franklin had many careers including service as a diplomat, a printer, a writer, an inventor, a scientist, a lawmaker, and a postmaster, among others. In his later years he became vocal as an abolitionist and in 1787 began to serve as President of the Pennsylvania Society for Promoting the Abolition of Slavery. The Society was originally formed April 14, 1775, in Philadelphia, as The Society for the Relief of Free Negroes Unlawfully Held in Bondage; it was reorganized in 1784 and again in 1787, and then incorporated by the state of Pennsylvania in 1789

• Like (+1) 1