New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Monticello, the Home of Thomas Jefferson, Is the Latest Victim of 'Wokeism'

When the now-discredited “1619 Project” pseudo-history was published in the New York Times three years ago, there was immediate pushback from actual historians. Nikole Hannah-Jones’ main thesis (that everything American flows from the well of race and slavery) was debunked but that didn’t stop her acolytes from using the “1619 Project” as a template for revisionist history.

Hannah-Jones’ version of history has stepped off the campuses of academia and onto the campuses of national treasures. Monticello is the new victim. Thomas Jefferson’s home is now infected with the woke virus.

Both the New York Post and Fox News have reported that visitors to Monticello are no longer guided through the home of our third president — rather, visitors are presented with a revisionist lecture and a less-then-subtle attack on the author of the Declaration of Independence.

https://redstate.com/jimthompson/2022/07/11/monticello-the-home-of-thomas-jefferson-is-the-latest-victim-of-wokeism-n592848

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

When the now-discredited “1619 Project” pseudo-history was published in the New York Times three years ago, there was immediate pushback from actual historians. Nikole Hannah-Jones’ main thesis (that everything American flows from the well of race and slavery) was debunked but that didn’t stop her acolytes from using the “1619 Project” as a template for revisionist history.

Hannah-Jones’ version of history has stepped off the campuses of academia and onto the campuses of national treasures. Monticello is the new victim. Thomas Jefferson’s home is now infected with the woke virus.

Both the New York Post and Fox News have reported that visitors to Monticello are no longer guided through the home of our third president — rather, visitors are presented with a revisionist lecture and a less-then-subtle attack on the author of the Declaration of Independence.

https://redstate.com/jimthompson/2022/07/11/monticello-the-home-of-thomas-jefferson-is-the-latest-victim-of-wokeism-n592848

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148862glin0egkzmkb9rdp5

9 minutes ago, B-Man said:

The situation there is absolutely pathetic.

I've lived here for years, discovered this area as the result of looking in depth at Jefferson's life and contributions. Commuted to my career profession from here.

What has happened to that tour in the last three years is disgusting.

Many volunteer guides have quit over it.

We had family visitors a few weeks ago, brother in law who had done it before and his kids, and said the change was terrible.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I've lived here for years, discovered this area as the result of looking in depth at Jefferson's life and contributions. Commuted to my career profession from here.

We had family visitors a few weeks ago, brother in law who had done it before and his kids, and said the change was terrible.

Weird - I can’t find any articles about volunteer guides quitting… help us out.

The cult simply wants to run on culture wars because they bring nothing else to the table.

4 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Weird - I can’t find any articles about volunteer guides quitting… help us out.

The cult simply wants to run on culture wars because they bring nothing else to the table.

Because there's a lot of media regarding volunteers who quit?

I have friends and neighbors who have done this for years.

The change over these past years is astounding, and I know nothing nor anyone in the "cult."

35 minutes ago, sherpa said:

The change over these past years is astounding, and I know nothing nor anyone in the "cult."

Yes - there would be coverage around volunteers quitting (over telling the truth) just like there is drama about this the past couple days.

7 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Yes - there would be coverage around volunteers quitting (over telling the truth) just like there is drama about this the past couple days.

Nonsense.

The fact is, not that you would know, is that there has been a massive change in the focus of that tour.

If you are not familiar with that issue, don't claim it doesn't exist because of your ignorance of it.

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

What is pathetic? Got anything to back up this claim? 

The fact of the matter is that national historical landmarks where white washed for decades to try and erase the true history. Now, as people try and tell the real history some people are upset that the brutal truth about injustice and racism are laid out. 

I remember when the DNA tests were first used to prove that the Hemmings and Jefferson families were related and how there was denial and all until it could not be ignored. And the world didn't end because the truth came out that the Jefferson family was using their slaves not only for free labor, but also sex 

55 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Like what?

5 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Nonsense.

The fact is, not that you would know, is that there has been a massive change in the focus of that tour.

If you are not familiar with that issue, don't claim it doesn't exist because of your ignorance of it.

You mean they stopped sugarcoating history?

Why does our history make you so uncomfortable?

29 minutes ago, BillStime said:

You mean they stopped sugarcoating history?

Why does our history make you so uncomfortable?

Oh contraire.

History makes me quite comfortable.

Know why?'

I've been a student of this, and I've done the work.

When you have done the same, we can have a conversation.

Till then, I am not going to waste my time with someone who continues bring up "cult" crap, as if that has anything to do with me or this subject.

Jefferson was a brilliant jurist.

A brilliant political philosopher who wrote a document that changed the relationship between the governed and the governors forever.

An accomplished astronomer, agronomist, inventor and the best architect in the colonies.

He wasn't perfect, but his many writings on the issue of slavery were prescient and illuminating, and though he had slaves, he hated the practice.

People in those times cannot be judged by folks two centuries later, anymore than people who practiced medicine in those times can.

In our current situation, we would be blessed by people of the Washington, Jefferson, Madison group.

Late edit:

If anyone is interested in this, read "The Life and Selected Writings of Thomas Jefferson."

The book includes a number of the personal letters between Jefferson and John Adams as they aged and repaired their political differences, each man expressing ultimate respect for the other, as well as correspondence with his daughter while he was Minister to France.

I'm as certain that anyone who reads the book will be better for it, just as sure as no one will.

Got a place on the top shelf of my library.

Edited by sherpa
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Oh contraire.

History makes me quite comfortable.

Know why?'

I've been a student of this, and I've done the work.

When you have done the same, we can have a conversation.

Till then, I am not going to waste my time with someone who continues bring up "cult" crap, as if that has anything to do with me or this subject.

Jefferson was a brilliant jurist.

A brilliant political philosopher who wrote a document that changed the relationship between the governed and the governors forever.

An accomplished astronomer, agronomist, inventor and the best architect in the colonies.

He wasn't perfect, but his many writings on the issue of slavery were prescient and illuminating, and though he had slaves, he hated the practice.

People in those times cannot be judged by folks two centuries later, anymore than people who practiced medicine in those times can.

In our current situation, we would be blessed by people of the Washington, Jefferson, Madison group.

Late edit:

If anyone is interested in this, read "The Life and Selected Writings of Thomas Jefferson."

The book includes a number of the personal letters between Jefferson and John Adams as they aged and repaired their political differences, each man expressing ultimate respect for the other, as well as correspondence with his daughter while he was Minister to France.

I'm as certain that anyone who reads the book will be better for it, just as sure as no one will.

Got a place on the top shelf of my library.

That’s wonderful. If you’re a devoted historian - why would you want to keep ignoring the elephant in the room tho? No one is JUDGING Jefferson for being a slave owner or for having a four century long relationship with one of his slaves. It’s history - right? We can’t change it, right? But why can’t we be honest about it and not glorify it either, right? Because that is exactly what you want.

So why should we ignore Sally Hemings, who bore Jefferson’s kids?

Everyone knew about it at the time…

Did John Adams Out Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings?

Isn’t that part of Jefferson’s history? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

Nonsense.

What’s the new focus? 

14 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

What’s the new focus? 

Monticello is an architectural and agronomic masterpiece.

Many items invented by Jefferson are still in place and working well.

The new focus is on slavery.

19 minutes ago, BillStime said:

That’s wonderful. If you’re a devoted historian - why would you want to keep ignoring the elephant in the room tho? No one is JUDGING Jefferson for being a slave owner or for having a four century long relationship with one of his slaves. It’s history - right? We can’t change it, right? But why can’t we be honest about it and not glorify it either, right? Because that is exactly what you want.

So why should we ignore Sally Hemings, who bore Jefferson’s kids?

Everyone knew about it at the time…

Did John Adams Out Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings?

Isn’t that part of Jefferson’s history? 

There is no elephant in the room.

There is Jefferson DNA in Sally Hemmings descendants.

There is no conclusive evidence that it was his, as there were a couple of Jeffersons around.

Either way, there is absolutely no evidence of anything untoward or non conceptual.

Jefferson's wife died at an early age.

Anybody who suggests anything inappropriate or unwanted needs to be in the early 1800's or shut up.

To suggest that one of the most brilliant men of his time, and a priceless contributor to our's and the world's political philosophy is somehow sullied by suggestions two hundred years later is foolish, but inevitable on this forum.

It always amazes me how people can display their hate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Monticello is an architectural and agronomic masterpiece.

Many items invented by Jefferson are still in place and working well.

The new focus is on slavery.

A plantation? A the focus is on slavery, you don't say!! 

It's almost as if slavery was a big part of our history or something and a historical site is displaying that, wow. 

Almost like we fought a Civil War because of slavery or something. Gees, so out of place 

5 minutes ago, sherpa said:

There is no elephant in the room.

There is Jefferson DNA in Sally Hemmings descendants.

There is no conclusive evidence that it was his, as there were a couple of Jeffersons around.

Either way, there is absolutely no evidence of anything untoward or non conceptual.

Jefferson's wife died at an early age.

Anybody who suggests anything inappropriate or unwanted needs to be in the early 1800's or shut up.

To suggest that one of the most brilliant men of his time, and a priceless contributor to our's and the world's political philosophy is somehow sullied by suggestions two hundred years later is foolish, but inevitable on this forum.

It always amazes me how people can display their hate.

How old was she when he took her to Paris? 

You mean "non-consensual"? 

How can a slave girl say no to her owner? 

• Thank you (+1) 1