12-16: Rex Ryan's Wednesday Presser

26CornerBlitz

Rex Ryan: "Going to Work Hard, That's What We Do" (23:31)

The Bills head coach talks about the defensive struggles, the team not giving up, and what he sees from the Redskins.

@ChrisBrownBills

Rex - Karlos Williams, Nigel Bradham both limited in practice today. Gilmore out for practice. #Bills

Rex - Mario called in sick will not practice today. Hoping Seantrel Henderson can practice. #Bills

Rex - Charles Clay is a wait and see this week to see how he progresses in return from back injury. #Bills

Rex - on defense- I think we're doing a much better job in terms of communication. We hope for better results. Haven't got there yet. #Bills

@AdamBenigni

#Bills Rex Ryan with old school holiday sweater choice at presser @wgrz

CWW7ZNSXAAESxUc.jpg

#Bills Rex Ryan said it's "ugly holiday sweater day" in the building. "I thought the vest was appropriate." @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan on defense: "Our numbers haven't been what I expected... that falls directly on me." @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan: "It falls on my lap... I'm not going to point fingers." @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan: Will certainly look at changes (players) on defense after the season... right now three games left.... "band-aid" approach.

#Bills Rex Ryan on Richie Incognito: "He manned up and owned it" after Sunday's loss. @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan on Mario Williams: "Has not checked out." Not practicing today with illness. @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan on Tyrod Taylor: "I think he's well on his way to earning" a true leadership role. @wgrz

@JoeBuscaglia

#Bills HC Rex Ryan on defense: Hey, the numbers aren't where we want them to be. I think it just comes down to coaching.

#Bills HC Rex Ryan: I know we have the talent. We haven't measured up statistically. Hasn't been for a lack of effort.

#Bills HC Rex Ryan: This is the first time I've ever been considered the weakness of the team.

#Bills HC Rex Ryan: Everybody anticipated us being a great defense. Why? Because they were great last year.

#Bills HC Rex Ryan being a little sarcastic: My scheme is clearly too complicated to play. That's the issue here.

#Bills HC Rex Ryan: I think I'm an above average coach, maybe.

#Bills HC Rex Ryan: I know I'll try to be better. This league is always changing. The stats are ugly.

#Bills HC Rex Ryan: Mario had a foot injury that has slowed him down. But he doesn't use it as an excuse. He hasn't checked out.

#Bills HC Rex Ryan: Has Mario had a great year statistically? No. But you know what, he plays. He's out there, and wants to compete.

#Bills HC Rex Ryan: I think Tyrod sees the field pretty good. I don't think he locks on to half-field. He's a complete quarterback.

#Bills HC Rex Ryan: We may be barely breathing, but we've got [a pulse]

#Bills HC Rex Ryan: If we win this week, guess what? We're still in this thing. We have to win all three to have snowball's chance.

@SalSports

Injuries, Rex: "We've got a few guys still healthy." Karlos Williams limited today with shoulder. Nigel limited. Clay see how he progresses

Mario Williams called at 5am and is out with an illness today. Not at facility.

Rex says defense "falls on my lap. No doubt about that."

Rex: "Maybe I set the expectations (too) high. But I always set them high" for the defense.

Rex says he loves that Incognito took ownership and "manned up" to his play Sunday. But it wasn't even close to as bad as Richie said....

Rex on Incognito: He should be the #1 guard going to the Pro Bowl.

Rex on Mario: "He had a foot injury that slowed him down. But he doesn't use it as an excuse....he hasn't checked out."

Rex on Tyrod: "I expected to get a lot out of him. Did I expect him to be the 5th rated QB? Probably not."

.....I feel good (Tyrod) being our QB moving forward....I'm happy he is our QB" - Rex Ryan

Rex was asked about how this presser feeling like a post-season one, no one has asked about the Redskins....

He said he's just answering what's asked and "I'm just getting ripped for being a bad coach or something."

Finally asked about Redskins, Rex (sarcastically): "I didn't realize we had a game this week"

@JonTWCNews

That 20+ minute Rex Ryan press conference was all about his responsibility to under achieving results. He took it all. #Bills

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blog: #Bills HC Rex Ryan says this is the first time he's been considered the weakness ... http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/16/rex-ryan-this-is-the-first-time-ive-been-considered-the-weakness/

Just wondering if the NFL has acknowledged the refs blew the call on the Ertz play, where offensive pass interference was not called, giving McKelvin a chance to dance with Ertz for 41 yards down the sideline to set up the winning field goal. Seems like almost every game the NFL has to apologize to the Bills for blowing a key call late in a game with devastating results for the Bills. I will agree that in most cases the Bills could have overcome the ref's bad call with a good showing on the next play, but that's no excuse for the bad call in the first place.

After throwing the coach and scheme under the bus... the coach still has your back.

That is very true.

I hope that these players realize that Rex always has their backs -- even when they may not have deserved it.

After throwing the coach and scheme under the bus... the coach still has your back.

Coach has to have his back. Coach is the one that came in and changed schemes. We all seem to agree that Mario might not be a good fit for the scheme. Rex knew this coming in. Mario can be utilized a lot better than this and proved it last year. It's not Mario's fault these changes were implemented and the strength of this d was neutered. I would be pissed too. Rex says it's on him, and it's true. Rex threw himself under the bus.