Personality Traits in a Coach

Head coaching is different from coordinating, that much is obvious. A coordinator just needs to know the X's and O's, which Rex Ryan arguably has down.

But we went from Doug Marrone, who seemed to be too much of a hard-ass, to Rex, who seems to be his players buddy, taking the extreme opposite approach. It seems he's liked, but doesn't have any respect. He's like the 25 year old substitute high school teacher that all the kids love because "he's like one of them" yet can't get any of the kids to do their homework.

So X's and O's aside, what should we be looking for in a coach, and does Rex have it in him to be that guy?

Maybe I'm a bit of a homer here, but I always thought Marv has the perfect personality. He was respected, without fear. Didn't seem like he had to demand respect, it just came natural. The perfect balance of "friend" and "boss."

Woodson was on the Mike and Mike in the Morning show, and shared this insight about the Bills Super Bowl woes (via Sports by Brooks):

“As much as everyone talked about how much experience the Bills had back then, they partied harder than any other team. That’s all we heard about the entire week in L.A., the (Cowboys) first Super Bowl.

“They (Bills players) were out Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Couple guys got into altercations in the clubs, older, veteran guys with the Bills.

“Experience doesn’t mean that much, it’s all about leadership. There’s a reason they (Bills) lost four Super Bowls. They partied harder than any other team.”

I think a coach needs to be himself. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but pretending to be someone else like Greggo and Marrone did never works.

I was happy with the Rex hire and I think he is being himself, but I now have doubts about whether it will ever work.

Rex Ryan doesn't hold anyone accountable. He is a complete and total push over which leads to lack of discipline. I never see him yell at his coaches or players during the game. instead he whines and cries like a baby. You cannot be a complete hard ass and you cannot be a buddy with the players. it's a fine line to walk. Coached mentioned above has mastered it. I personally like Arians or BB approach the best. They gain respect just by sittingin the room.

There is not one personality blueprint that is successful. Look through all of the highly successful coaches and you will see many different personalities. My personal opinion is that the more fiery, confrontational, bombastic coaches have a shortly life span. That kind of crap gets old after a while. Whereas, I think a more cerebral guy like Marv Levy might take longer for players to warm up to him/believe in him but once they do, it can last for longer periods of time.

Head coaching is different from coordinating, that much is obvious. A coordinator just needs to know the X's and O's, which Rex Ryan arguably has down.

But we went from Doug Marrone, who seemed to be too much of a hard-ass, to Rex, who seems to be his players buddy, taking the extreme opposite approach. It seems he's liked, but doesn't have any respect. He's like the 25 year old substitute high school teacher that all the kids love because "he's like one of them" yet can't get any of the kids to do their homework.

So X's and O's aside, what should we be looking for in a coach, and does Rex have it in him to be that guy?

Good question, and good example. Clearly there's something a-mis with this guy.

I think a coach needs to be himself. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but pretending to be someone else like Greggo and Marrone did never works.

I was happy with the Rex hire and I think he is being himself, but I now have doubts about whether it will ever work.

I see what you'e saying. I always felt Marrone was trying to be a knockoff of Belicheat. Trying to play the hardass, silent type that takes no ****, doesn't fool around, and you can thank him later when the results come, which of course, never really did.

I see what you'e saying. I always felt Marrone was trying to be a knockoff of Belicheat. Trying to play the hardass, silent type that takes no ****, doesn't fool around, and you can thank him later when the results come, which of course, never really did.

I think there is the Accountability hardass - but there also needs to be an approach-ability that marrone never had. He didn't take suggestions - didnt listen to anyone. Needed to have his hand in everything and for it to be his way. Thats not a good coaching strategy either.

I think there is the Accountability hardass - but there also needs to be an approach-ability that marrone never had. He didn't take suggestions - didnt listen to anyone. Needed to have his hand in everything and for it to be his way. Thats not a good coaching strategy either.

Exactly. And I think they wanted to correct that problem, and went to the far opposite end of the specturm, and got the guy who lets everyone do there thing.

It shouldn't matter what friggin' socks the guy wears to practice, but there needs to be accountabilty when they !@#$ up on the field during a game.

Exactly. And I think they wanted to correct that problem, and went to the far opposite end of the specturm, and got the guy who lets everyone do there thing.

It shouldn't matter what friggin' socks the guy wears to practice, but there needs to be accountabilty when they !@#$ up on the field during a game.

Players coaches like to let the players hold each other accountable. It's clear nobody is doing it.

There is not one personality blueprint that is successful. Look through all of the highly successful coaches and you will see many different personalities. My personal opinion is that the more fiery, confrontational, bombastic coaches have a shortly life span. That kind of crap gets old after a while. Whereas, I think a more cerebral guy like Marv Levy might take longer for players to warm up to him/believe in him but once they do, it can last for longer periods of time.

Exactly. There are three types of coaches: good, average, and bad. Personality really doesn't have a lot to do with it. The NFL is about X's and O's more than pep talks. There is so much talent in this league that strategy plays a bigger role than psychology imo. That why I laugh whenever people always want Belichick style coaches. Anyone can have that personality, but lack the ability.