Changes will be needed

Niagara Dude

If there's one formula for success in the NFL it's consistent turnover

yep.

Just like sticking with Rex Ryan, a proven winner. What I like best about him is his defensive genius, him holding his players accountable and him not telling me how good his team is but instead proving it week to week.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I again ask you, what top flight personnel man is coming to OBD with Rex there for the foreseeable future?

Even if this is the case I try anyways. Throw as much money as needed. Wolf can make a decision on him after year one. Keep in mind Wolf is probably making less than 1 million a year and doesn't have control of the final decisions. It would be a sweet promotion for him.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I again ask you, what top flight personnel man is coming to OBD with Rex there for the foreseeable future?

It may be more costly to keep him. You think the Pegula's are going to settle for five years of this?

Or......are you saying give him another year or two to make it more palatable?

Even if this is the case I try anyways. Throw as much money as needed for the promotion. Keep in mind Wolf is probably making less than 1 million a year.

Wouldn't matter about the money if I'm a prospective GM of a team, I want my own guy as HC. I think you get second rate guys under the scenario of Rex staying which is almost a certainty.

It may be more costly to keep him. You think the Pegula's are going to settle for five years of this?

Or......are you saying give him another year or two to make it more palatable?

They're definitely not afraid to change course when they see things not being good enough or going south. What they did with the Sabres shows that, but moving on from Rex after one year simply isn't going to happen. With team personnel on the upswing, I don't see the point of moving on from Whaley with Rex still here.

I don't agree with that.

With what? Rex staying or getting 2nd rate personnel guys who'd be forced to work with Rex as HC?

They're definitely not afraid to change course when they see things not being good enough or going south. What they did with the Sabres shows that, but moving on from Rex after one year simply isn't going to happen. With team personnel on the upswing, I don't see the point of moving on from Whaley with Rex still here.

With what? Rex staying or getting 2nd rate personnel guys who'd be forced to work with Rex as HC?

I don't assume you automatically will only get 2nd rate personnel guys if Rex stays.

That's one why I think Whaley will be given a 2 year extension as too difficult to bring in a new GM to work under Rex unless you're willing to let Rex pick the guy. That has been done before, but really don't think Rex has earned that amount of power. By giving Whaley two years, if after one more year if TP decided Rex isn't working he'd only have to eat one additional year on Whaley or give Rex two years and no cost to can Whaley too at that same point. Then can bring in a new GM and let him hire the HC too.

You keep throwing this name out there, but what top personnel man is coming to OBD with Rex forced on him? None IMO.

I don't assume you automatically will only get 2nd rate personnel guys if Rex stays.

Well, that's where we disagree. The top personnel guys in the NFL can afford to wait for the right situation where they can name their own coach.

That's one why I think Whaley will be given a 2 year extension as too difficult to bring in a new GM to work under Rex unless you're willing to let Rex pick the guy. That has been done before, but really don't think Rex has earned that amount of power. By giving Whaley two years, if after one more year if TP decided Rex isn't working he'd only have to eat one additional year on Whaley or give Rex two years and no cost to can Whaley too at that same point. Then can bring in a new GM and let him hire the HC too.

Seems like a sensible approach to me.

Get a real OLine, real LBs who can tackle and cover, kicker and ST coach, TT has upside but we need a development guy and a decent back up QB. Rex gets one more year to get the D on track and to instill discipline and professionalism. He absolutely p*ssed away what should have been a playoff year.

Stopped reading after the first half sentence.

No way on earth the OL is anywhere near this team's biggest problem

You may not get a 2nd rate guy, but you'd get a guy who likely wouldn't choose Rex s a coach, now he's stuck with him for at least a couple of years.

Actually would not at all be surprised to learn that there's a clause in Rex's contract that states something to the affect, if the Bills bring in a new GM, he gets to approve the choice and/or be involved with the selection as he'd have been smart enough to not want to get into the same situation as he had with the Jet's with a GM that he felt hung him out to fail. So put in a clause that makes him part of any changes, particularly since he knew when he came here DW only had one year left on his contract.

I'm not so sure it isn't near the top. Fix the O-line get a #2 receiver and you've solved most of the problems on offense. It may not be the #1 problem but do think it's close to the top.

Stopped reading after the first half sentence.

Maybe we watched a different teams this year, and today! The right side of our line is awful in both run and pass protection. And btw, I didn't say the OLine was the biggest problem, you did. I just said we need to get a real OLine.

with all due respect, what makes you think Rex is capable of doing this? where/when has he done this before?

Whether he can or not, he's going to get another year. He says it's his last coaching job, he's got to change something up or he's finished. Maybe he can do a gut check, don't know. What I do know is that he's not going anywhere next year.

Many changes will be required, this team lost games that you should have won, here are some ideas. Feel free to add you know

- Fire D cordinator, not enough big plays(sacks/turnovers) with a defense that Rex wanted to compare with the 85 Bears to start the season (Petite may be available for a return after getting fired from Browns. They are still very good friends and this allows Petite an opportunity to fix this mess on defense and get credit for it)

- Fire ST coach who never should have returned after Marrone left, (ST were complete garbage)

- Need to find a kicker who can also kickoff, we are the only team in league that has kickoff kicker

- Find a play making LB who can make tackles ( too many missed tackles this season)

- Draft a QB for development, not sure about TT but he has been good at times in his first year as a starting NFL QB

Keep in mine Rex is not going to get fired after one season.

working backwards:

Unless someone is hidden from everyone else there are no qb worthy of picking this year

The linebackers of Brown and Bradham were a step slow sad when Manny Lawson fills in and makes more plays

The kicker who cares if we carry a kick off guy, not related to our problems and kick off coverage is good

Special teams actually base on facts have been fine

Defense :New scheme and some guys who didn't buy in primarily Mario which really shows he plays for the name on back. Guys like Hughes seem more concerned with sacks than winning. Some who didn't fit like Bradham, Ive never seen injuries hit a team like this before we certainly knew who are back ups were they played more than the starters. Guys like IK, Corbin Bryant - best game today, Duke Williams, Charles, shouldn't be on the roster.

Offense: New scheme bunch of new guys playing together for first time. An actual NFL player in place of Hogan a right tackle who can play 9-10 games out of 16 with a matching guard. I think Miller will be much better year two. We never built any o line depth and then had to play those guys we didnt have. Tight end depth Grays injury was bigger than anticipated, Jerome Felton never got any rythym and wiffed on blocks way to much. Tyrod year 2 as a starter will take major steps forward

Overview: I think the plan was descent quarterbacking with a really good defense would allow a good swing at the playoffs. Well the defense scheme took a long time to come together with some vet's kicking and screaming. Then injuries really didnt allow any chance to being very very good- but they never approached descent. So then you need more from the offense which also had it's share of injuries and a first year starting qb. Chris Brown said it in pre season - it's kinda played out almost exactly as he said. First year coaches rarely make the playoffs you have new schemes on both sides of the ball, new coaches, new players many who have never played together and a first year starting quarterback to put that all together and make the playoffs usually doesn't happen. Pretty spot on-

Maybe we watched a different teams this year, and today! The right side of our line is awful in both run and pass protection. And btw, I didn't say the OLine was the biggest problem, you did. I just said we need to get a real OLine.

This team is in the top 5 in rushing in nearly every category. If they didn't have a "real OL", that would be impossible.

They could use an upgrade at RT. That's a far different statement than them not having a real OL

We do have a real offensive line. Cordy Glenn and Incognito are two of the best in the league at their positions. The entire line had a great game last week against an elite front seven even with the injuries. Everyone knows they need to upgrade at right tackle. They will. But you make it sound like the entire line is in shambles and needs a complete overhaul. They're only a player away from having an excellent line.