I Hope We Don't Lose Whaley Because Of Rex

H2o

Whaley has 6 years with the team. His contribution has us at 5-6, 5 1/2 games out first, in third place in the division. He is nothing special at all. There are dozens of NFL staffers that could step in and do the same.

Wow..

You are so wrong I dont even know where to begin...

CBF

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have feared this all year. I understand some of the criticisms of Whaley but I think he is the best thing to happen to this franchise is a long, long time. People who want to judge him by wins and losses miss the point of the GMs job. He is there to provide the tools. I believe he has done that.

The problem for Whaley is that we know that Rex was the man behind TT. That is the one personnel move of Rex's that has really paid off. The other ex Jets on this team either never made the 53 or have disappointed. If Rex wanted to make a power play for GM like control this offseason I fear the Pegulas would listen. They are enamoured with him. Doug isn't their guy.

Keep Doug, can Rex would be my move if I was owner.

I have feared this all year. I understand some of the criticisms of Whaley but I think he is the best thing to happen to this franchise is a long, long time. People who want to judge him by wins and losses miss the point of the GMs job. He is there to provide the tools. I believe he has done that.

The problem for Whaley is that we know that Rex was the man behind TT. That is the one personnel move of Rex's that has really paid off. The other ex Jets on this team either never made the 53 or have disappointed. If Rex wanted to make a power play for GM like control this offseason I fear the Pegulas would listen. They are enamoured with him. Doug isn't their guy.

Keep Doug, can Rex would be my move if I was owner.

I agree to some extent that he should be judged on more than wins and losses just like a QB should be judged on more than TDs and INTs, but W-L record is still the ultimate end. Unless Rex was forced upon Whaley against his will, which does not appear to be the case at all, then the coaches performance is as attributable to the GM as anything.

That said, I'm not calling for him to be fired, just pointing out that his legend outshines his accomplishments. I don't see his contributions as discernibly superior to that of Nix.

He dropped the ball on offense and over paid for many of them.

I would like to see a change, in fact I'd like Pegula to clean house and start from scratch, like the Sabres

Dropped the ball on offense? We have more talent on offense than we have had in many, MANY years. Our OC has dropped the ball scheming for the talent he has. Taylor is an upgrade from EJ. The OL still needs a little work, but their overall performance hasn't been that bad. As far as "overpaying" people goes? We had to overpay to get a couple of guys. Mario was overpaid to get him to come to town in the first place, but Nix was at the helm then. Hughes' contract isn't that bad really, but the defense we are playing doesn't allow him to do what he had done the last two seasons. Dareus was gonna get a huge deal from somewhere so why not keep a guy we drafted 3rd overall who is one of the best DT's in the league? Clay is a guy that we had to pay in such a manner that the Dolphins wouldn't be able to match. He is one of the best young and complete TE's in the league. Again, our OC is failing us there. McCoy is a top 5 RB in this league. We have all seen it when he's healthy and on the field. Money is debatable, but his talent is not. Cleaning house and starting from scratch would be a great way to keep the streak alive for another 3 years or so.

Whaley can't evaluate quarterbacks. He passed on Derek Carr, and he was in the organization when they passed on Russell Wilson. Heck, if Johnny Manziel is able to turn his career around, I think he could be a player in this league.

Stop thinking on that one. He doesn't have what it takes to make it in the NFL on a sustained basis.

This sounds like an employee agreeing with his new employer who just bought the team. This proves nothing about the assertion that Whaley chose Rex.

Sure, that's possible, but given what we know it's highly improbable. The Pegulas know about as much about football as the average TBD poster. Presumably they kept Whaley because they figured he knew what he was doing and wanted his advice. It seems wildly far fetch to think that two rank amateurs, who are smart enough to know what they don't know, would disregard the advice of the person they looked to for guidance and entrusted with the building of their team.

Moreover, I would expect an employee to support his employer publicly, but there are ways to do that without lying. "Rex has had a lot of success in this league, he's coaches great defenses, and we're really excited about what he brings to the table ..." without spewing about finishing each other's sentences and claiming that you personally said he's the one after interviewing him.

Again, anything's possible, but you have to jump through a lot of logical hoops to get to your desired conclusion.

Whaley can't evaluate quarterbacks. He passed on Derek Carr, and he was in the organization when they passed on Russell Wilson. Heck, if Johnny Manziel is able to turn his career around, I think he could be a player in this league.

32 teams passed on Derek Carr, including the one that drafted him.

Also, he's having a nearly identical season to Tyrod. Compare the two:

Carr - 240/378 (63.5%), 2,895 yds (7.66 YPA), 24 TDs, 6 INTs, 2 fumbles, 101.7 passer rating, 58 rush yds, 0 rush TDs, 5-6 record as a starter

Taylor - 165/250 (66.0%), 1,960 yds (7.84 YPA), 14 TDs, 4 INTs, 4 fumbles, 101.8 passer rating, 290 rush yds, 2 rush TDs, 5-4 record as a starter

He also wasn't the GM when the team failed to pick Wilson. We have no idea how Whaley felt about Wilson, actually.

Carr - 240/378 (63.5%), 2,895 yds (7.66 YPA), 24 TDs, 6 INTs, 2 fumbles, 101.7 passer rating, 58 rush yds, 0 rush TDs, 5-6 record as a starter

Taylor - 165/250 (66.0%), 1,960 yds (7.84 YPA), 14 TDs, 4 INTs, 4 fumbles, 101.8 passer rating, 290 rush yds, 2 rush TDs, 5-4 record as a starter

He also wasn't the GM when the team failed to pick Wilson. We have no idea how Whaley felt about Wilson, actually.

The only spot where that is "identical" is quarterback rating, which is a flawed stat.

If by nearly identical you mean twice the touchdowns and 900 more yards, then yes, nearly identical lol

If by nearly identical you mean twice the touchdowns and 900 more yards, then yes, nearly identical lol

No, I mean producing at nearly the same clip with a lower winning percentage. 700 more yards of total offense and 8 more total TDs in 2 more starts.

Yes, they're producing at a nearly identical clip.

If you'd like to refute that, go right ahead; I'm listening.

If quarterback rating were everything, Philip Rivers would be winning the superbowl every year.

Obviously QB rating isn't everything. You can't rely on stats for a total analysis, and you cannot totally disregard stats as telling a story (not the story mind you).

No, I mean producing at nearly the same clip with a lower winning percentage. 700 more yards of total offense and 8 more total TDs in 2 more starts.

Obviously QB rating isn't everything. You can't rely on stats for a total analysis, and you cannot totally disregard stats as telling a story (not the story mind you).

Sorry, Tryhard isn't going to be passing 10 TDs in two games. Probably not over 4

If quarterback rating were everything, Philip Rivers would be winning the superbowl every year.

This is a different debate, but Rivers is a GREAT player. The reason the Chargers are losing right now isn't because of him. Indeed, given their injuries and depleted roster, they'd arguably be in line to go 0-16.

The two teams are fairly even on the points front: The Bills have 266, and the Raiders 264. That said, the Bills have 3 defensive/ST return TDs, and the Raiders have zero--so it's really 264 offensive points for the Raiders and 245 for the Bills--. The Bills are 19th in yards and the Raiders are 11th, but running teams tend to have fewer yards. The Raiders are 27th in rushing attempts and the Bills are 4th; the Bills are 29th in passing attempts and the Raiders are 15th.

Edited by dave mcbride