If the 'Skins cut RGIII this offseason would you want him?

dayman

I don't watch much of Washington and I know he's been pretty bad for them in recent times...but he has talent. You think him and Tyrod would be a good combo? Tyrod and some other mystery QB will both start a good number of games for us next year (based on the way this year went w/ injury).

Would you want a Roman-coached RGIII on deck for when Tyrod can't go? Not really sure who else will be available next year.

Edited by Rex'sOffense

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather draft a new QB.

If there is some sort of great break where a good looking guy drops to us then sure...but that usually isn't the case. I know I don't want a completely green, mediocre rookie in a place to play games for us next year. We're too good to start a rookie IMO (even in spots as a back up). I really don't want to see entire games lost solely b/c the back up is terrible next year.

If there is some sort of great break where a good looking guy drops to us then sure...but that usually isn't the case. I know I don't want a completely green, mediocre rookie in a place to play games for us next year. We're too good to start a rookie IMO (even in spots as a back up). I really don't want to see entire games lost solely b/c the back up is terrible next year.

Yet, you expressed an interested in RGIII.

I smell a conundrum.

Really shows how much the NFL has surpassed the college game, doesn't it? These great, athletic college QBs are failing fairly regularly. RG3 is probably done or on his way to back-up land (c.f, Michael Vick). The verdict is still out on Newton. He will likely make it since he is tall enough and throws pretty hard (if not always well). EJ and Kaepernick are probably done. Wilson still hanging in. I was very suspicious of the love affair with the running QBs for the NFL level. The punishment and schemes force them to be be - gasp - quarterbacks. The formula for a franchise QB hasn't changed. He has to be really smart (fast smart, that is) to read defenses and know his teammates (both receivers and blockers) and to make quick decisions on the run. He has to be tall and solid, have an accurate and strong arm, and a real hatred of losing (yes, I just describe Kelly, Marino and Montana). Brady is a bit of an anomoly. He has most of those things, but is not tall or solidly built. He has benefitted from rules changes that were meant to protect him and he is so accurate and smart that he doesn't need to rely on the long ball a lot. He also has a coach who figured out how to be successful with him.

In the draft, look for these physical and mental attributes, but nothing replaces that hatred of losing and the ability to carry a team to a championship. I think too many talent evaluators still think a QB can be taught to be winner at the most difficult level. That just seems stupid to me.

Edited by flmike