Bible or Quran?

Justice

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8/10 but i'm not sure of your point. they are indeed very different.

and for once i agree with dev/null: i could find similar passages from works of such different authors as jd salinger and suzanne collins.

Edited by birdog1960

2/10 and I will tell you it was most likely created so people like me who know and care very little of the bible were going to be surprised with the quotes that seemed they had to be from the bible but were not. What I got from it was the the Qur'an plagiarized the bible. :rolleyes:

So....what is the point of this exercise?

Edited by Chef Jim

2/10 and I will tell you it was most likely created so people like me who know and care very little of the bible where going to be surprised with the quotes that seemed they had to be from the bible but where not. What I got from it was the the Qur'an plagiarized the bible. :rolleyes:

So....what is the point of this exercise?

Lol. They're very similar. More similar than most realize.

9/10. But in fact...I "cheated." I paid attention to the style, not the substance. Koranic verses tend to have a coarser, blunter, and more modern style (when translated, at least. But then, when it's translated, it's no longer the Koran.) Biblical verses...the Bible's history of translation and retranslation is so much longer and richer that the verses tend to have a more lyrical, almost poetic feel to them.

The only one that tripped me up was Proverbs. But Proverbs tends to be more "homespun" than other books of the Bible because...well, because they're proverbs.

You could cherry pick quotes from Lord of the Rings, Shakespeare, or some other large text and plenty of folks wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and Old/New Testament and Koran

I'd like to try that. "The Bible or The Silmarillion?"

5 out 10. Which supports the abrahamic religions have a lot more in common than the antagonists would have us believe

ah yes. ishmael and isaac. the very real differences won't likely be resolved on this forum (surprisingly, this site does a nice job of documenting them): http://westwing.bewarne.com/third/ishmael.html

Edited by birdog1960

Actually, given that you did no better than randomly guessing, it supports the idea that you're a complete moron.

Actually I think it's moronic to game the quiz like you did. Of course any fool would realize they were trying to surprise the test taker and expose biases. I chose to take it ignoring their strategy so as to have a more unbiased result. Edited by JTSP

9/10. But in fact...I "cheated." I paid attention to the style, not the substance. Koranic verses tend to have a coarser, blunter, and more modern style (when translated, at least. But then, when it's translated, it's no longer the Koran.) Biblical verses...the Bible's history of translation and retranslation is so much longer and richer that the verses tend to have a more lyrical, almost poetic feel to them.

The only one that tripped me up was Proverbs. But Proverbs tends to be more "homespun" than other books of the Bible because...well, because they're proverbs.

I'd like to try that. "The Bible or The Silmarillion?"

not as farfetched as uy might believe.. tolkein and cs lewis we're friends, famously http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/news/2003/aug29.html.

Edited by birdog1960

Actually I think it's moronic to game the quiz like you did. Of course any fool would realize they were trying to surprise the test taker and expose biases. I chose to take it ignoring their strategy so as to have a more unbiased result.

Game the quiz? He used all of what he knows to do the best he could. You didn't do too well on the quiz so your excuse was that you did poorly because you played with one hand tied behind your back? I got 10/10, but in all fairness I had taken this quiz previously and got 7/10 then. Before I took the quiz I had read Tom's comments and that may have helped.