I hate to admit it, but Taylor sucks

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes:

When watching TT the most substantive issue is not his individual stats but his overall game. Is he progressing? Is his pocket presence better? Is he going through his progressions more adeptly than before. On all these points I would say yes.

We have a qb who is accurate. We have a qb has good touch when required. We have a qb who throws a beautiful long ball. We have a qb whose ball placement is usually impeccable. We have a qb who is mobile and is becoming more of a threat with his legs and does it judiciously.

There was a non-signifcant play that impressed me very much. Either a back or receiver was not in the right position. He noticed it and directed the player to the right spot and then comfortably got the play off. That told me a lot about his knowledge of the offense and his composure. Small things but important detail things that make for successful plays.

I don't believe that the Bills are going to make the playoffs because we squandered games that should have been won. (Thanks Rex for outsmarting yourself!) In the grand scheme of things if it is determined that TT is capable of being a franchise qb (I believe so) then the franchise is in a better position than it has been for a long time.

1 of those 3 INTs in the first NE game came on a hail mary as the first half expired too, it was meaningless IIRC.

It wasn't exactly a Hail Mary; it came with ~15 seconds left and was a throw back across his body into traffic. A bad decision that negated an opportunity to get points at the end of the half.

Nevertheless, we are talking about a guy that's turned the ball over in only 3 of his 10 starts this year--that's huge.

4th in passer rating

4th in total qbr

TT does not suck.

it sure is hard to please some folks.

Bills' records for consecutive games and attempts w/o an INT.

He sucks -- clearly he's not throwing enough.

When watching TT the most substantive issue is not his individual stats but his overall game. Is he progressing? Is his pocket presence better? Is he going through his progressions more adeptly than before. On all these points I would say yes.

We have a qb who is accurate. We have a qb has good touch when required. We have a qb who throws a beautiful long ball. We have a qb whose ball placement is usually impeccable. We have a qb who is mobile and is becoming more of a threat with his legs and does it judiciously.

There was a non-signifcant play that impressed me very much. Either a back or receiver was not in the right position. He noticed it and directed the player to the right spot and then comfortably got the play off. That told me a lot about his knowledge of the offense and his composure. Small things but important detail things that make for successful plays.

I don't believe that the Bills are going to make the playoffs because we squandered games that should have been won. (Thanks Rex for outsmarting yourself!) In the grand scheme of things if it is determined that TT is capable of being a franchise qb (I believe so) then the franchise is in a better position than it has been for a long time.

Yep, I agree with all of that John.

It is so funny when someone goes on record with their rant and overreaction. We all have done it. This time he was, "another checkdown, scramble guy that cannot read a defense or throw down the field." That is almost the exact opposite of who he is. He is a guy that CAN stretch the field as well as just about any QB in the league. That's like saying Aroldis Chapman would be good if he could throw hard or Steph Curry would be good if he could shoot the 3.

Yep, I agree with all of that John.

It is so funny when someone goes on record with their rant and overreaction. We all have done it. This time he was, "another checkdown, scramble guy that cannot read a defense or throw down the field." That is almost the exact opposite of who he is. He is a guy that CAN stretch the field as well as just about any QB in the league. That's like saying Aroldis Chapman would be good if he could throw hard or Steph Curry would be good if he could shoot the 3.

This is the most frustrating part to me; if we're going to criticize Taylor, do it for the correct reasons.

Folks that claim he's a checkdown QB almost make me believe that they aren't watching him at all. Perfect example: the missed TD opportunity to Woods on 3rd down in the 3rd Q (that proceeded Carp's 50-yard miss). A checkdown, play-it-safe QB that can't read a defense would've surely taken the first down on the ground that Taylor had a shot at.

He didn't do that.

He instead kept his eyes down the field, bought time by climbing to safety, and threw Woods open on a rope. Now, Woods fell and didn't make the play, but that's the literal antithesis of a checkdown guy that can't read a D.

For me, Taylor's biggest deficiencies have been getting the ball out quickly, not seeing the middle of the field, and abandoning the pocket too quickly instead of climbing vertically to safety. The latter 2 are interesting because he showed some improvement in those areas yesterday. It will be intriguing to see how he develops in all 3 areas given a full offseason as a starter.

To me, another major sign of progress was the throw to Woods in the endzone. Yeah it sucked that Woods slipped and didn't catch the ball. But TT had room to run and pick up the first down. But he correctly chose to throw downfield for an almost sure TD. Most run-first QBs would have been on the run (I'm talking about you Kaepernick). TT had his eyes up and spotted the great TD opportunity.

This is the most frustrating part to me; if we're going to criticize Taylor, do it for the correct reasons.

Folks that claim he's a checkdown QB almost make me believe that they aren't watching him at all. Perfect example: the missed TD opportunity to Woods on 3rd down in the 3rd Q (that proceeded Carp's 50-yard miss). A checkdown, play-it-safe QB that can't read a defense would've surely taken the first down on the ground that Taylor had a shot at.

He didn't do that.

He instead kept his eyes down the field, bought time by climbing to safety, and threw Woods open on a rope. Now, Woods fell and didn't make the play, but that's the literal antithesis of a checkdown guy that can't read a D.

For me, Taylor's biggest deficiencies have been getting the ball out quickly, not seeing the middle of the field, and abandoning the pocket too quickly instead of climbing vertically to safety. The latter 2 are interesting because he showed some improvement in those areas yesterday. It will be intriguing to see how he develops in all 3 areas given a full offseason as a starter.

I was happy to see him seem to look down the middle of the field more, within that 10+ to 25 yard range, where it had seemed earlier in the year he didn't make many attempts that way. I think he is progressing, I think the kid can be something special, if not solid, but he needs to keep progessing and really learning from his mistakes.

To me, another major sign of progress was the throw to Woods in the endzone. Yeah it sucked that Woods slipped and didn't catch the ball. But TT had room to run and pick up the first down. But he correctly chose to throw downfield for an almost sure TD. Most run-first QBs would have been on the run (I'm talking about you Kaepernick). TT had his eyes up and spotted the great TD opportunity.

A very good game with a few small items to be corrected / adjusted.

Yes, Tyrod had room to run for the 1st. He didn't and IIRC the drive stalled right?

Also I think he locked onto one player or at least the left side of the field and didn't look off on the sack.

Keep improving Tyrod. We meed 4 more good wins. I'll even take 4 ugly wins.

Just imagine how much better his game will be next year when he enters the off season with a playoff win under his belt and is the unchallenged starter to begin OTAs and TC. He'll be getting all the first team snaps throughout, and he will own the playbook. The game will definitely slow down for him. We're already seeing that taking place right now.

Go Bills!

A very good game with a few small items to be corrected / adjusted.

Yes, Tyrod had room to run for the 1st. He didn't and IIRC the drive stalled right?

Also I think he locked onto one player or at least the left side of the field and didn't look off on the sack.

Keep improving Tyrod. We meed 4 more good wins. I'll even take 4 ugly wins.

That was a third down play, so yeah the drive stalled. But that was the right read by him and can't fault him for the WR falling down.

He didn't do that.

I'll agree with all that. He's made accurate throws into a handful of buckets, both short and deep down the sidelines.

As he grows hopefully he gets more comfortable in the intermediate, the middle of the field, and his timing both in the pocket and delivering the ball. All places that he could grow (or falter). To be a long term success he will need to hone those areas of opportunity into consistent successes.

Will he end up more Russell Wilson or more kaepernick/rg3 with his curve? Don't know yet, especially with limited looks a lot of weeks between injury and the ground game- but it should be a fun one to watch if you like keeping an eye on development and not just arguing whether he deserves to be crowned or in a dumpster

I'll agree with all that. He's made accurate throws into a handful of buckets, both short and deep down the sidelines.

As he grows hopefully he gets more comfortable in the intermediate, the middle of the field, and his timing both in the pocket and delivering the ball. All places that he could grow (or falter). To be a long term success he will need to hone those areas of opportunity into consistent successes.

Will he end up more Russell Wilson or more kaepernick/rg3 with his curve? Don't know yet, especially with limited looks a lot of weeks between injury and the ground game- but it should be a fun one to watch if you like keeping an eye on development and not just arguing whether he deserves to be crowned or in a dumpster

Nailed it.

That's exactly it.

It's fun to watch the development.

The few brave souls who are still critical of Taylor are almost the exact same lot as the people who were still defending EJ til the bitter end. Many of them (with the exception of TYTT) have disappeared from this website since the game yesterday. Anyway, I want everyone to ask themselves a very simple question: do you really think that if EJ Manuel was 6-4 with 17 TD's and 4 INT's, 4th in the NFL in passer rating and 5th in the NFL in Y/A, that these guys would be nitpicking little things in EJ's game to be critical of?

The few brave souls who are still critical of Taylor are almost the exact same lot as the people who were still defending EJ til the bitter end. Many of them (with the exception of TYTT) have disappeared from this website since the game yesterday. Anyway, I want everyone to ask themselves a very simple question: do you really think that if EJ Manuel was 6-4 with 17 TD's and 4 INT's, 4th in the NFL in passer rating and 5th in the NFL in Y/A, that these guys would be nitpicking little things in EJ's game to be critical of?

The EJ haters, and there are many more of them, surely would be.

The EJ haters, and there are many more of them, surely would be.

I disagree completely. I think 95% of the people on this website are simply objective football fans who form honest opinions about what they see on the football field and hold no biases whatsoever. I didn't think EJ Manuel looked a starting NFL QB to me and was labeled a "hater" for it. I am encouraged by what I see from Taylor and have been called a "fanboi" for it. Guess what? I was right in both instances. If people were discouraged by what they saw in JP Losman after 2007, were they called "haters" around here? Honest question. How come no one ever calls out Seantrel Henderson "haters" after he has a poor performance? Am I just a Ronald Darby "fanboi?"

Also something occurred to me yesterday- they showed Manuel on the sidelines and he was genuinely cheering on Taylor and I thought to myself, man I like this guy's attitude. I got so caught up in arguing with the nuts on this website that I maybe started to associate my frustration with them with EJ Manuel himself. I like Manuel a lot, he really seems like a good guy.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

"Crowned or Dumpster" could be a fantastic weekly segment on the board.