Jets Waive OLB Quinton Coples; Claimed by Miami

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couples is a legit hands in the dirt NFL DE. He's too slow (despite his fast 40) in coverage as an OLB. That (and the injury guarantee) is probably why the Jets sat and then cut him. I'm a little surprised in Rex's interest because it was Rex who moved him out of position in 2013 and Rex, like Bowles, was not happy with the results.

Couples is a legit hands in the dirt NFL DE. He's too slow (despite his fast 40) in coverage as an OLB. That (and the injury guarantee) is probably why the Jets sat and then cut him. I'm a little surprised in Rex's interest because it was Rex who moved him out of position in 2013 and Rex, like Bowles, was not happy with the results.

Yeah with Cameron Wake unlikely to be back to 100% next season they really need one of those.

But Coples was pretty productive last year for Rex.

Yeah with Cameron Wake unlikely to be back to 100% next season they really need one of those.

But Coples was pretty productive last year for Rex.

In his rookie year I believe he only started 2 games and wound up with 5.5 sacks and was pretty good vs the run - all with his hands in the dirt. He had 6.5 sacks last year starting something like 15 games, but two came when lined up inside.

He's a lot like Mario (though of course not as good) in terms of his preferences re how he lines up.

He's a pretty good player and for a team looking to play him in a friendly scheme his coming onto the market like he did represents a bargain opportunity for such a team - subject to the injury concern - he's definitely not worth 7.8 M per, especially if he's not playing.