Jets Waive OLB Quinton Coples; Claimed by Miami

26CornerBlitz

@nyjets

We have waived OLB Quinton Coples. DETAILS- http://bit.ly/1ObN5Fy

Is Rex drooling yet?

@AdamSchefter

Jets waived former former first-round pick OLB Quinton Coples, whom they once drafted ahead of Chandler Jones.

Rex probably thought this was the player they picked up when they signed Quenton Groves. I have to admit, when I 1st read it back then, that's who I thought it was.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he clears waivers this would be a nice get.

He's been a disappointment but if the price is right, you can't teach 6'6" 275# with long arms.

He drew comparisons to Mario early in his UNC career for a reason. He's got talent.

And as we've seen......posting 6.5 sacks as an OLB in Rex scheme isn't as easy as one might think.

I find it interesting that Rex D Jets used to be so good.......and then he gets freakish front 7 talents like Wilkerson, Richardson and Coples and somehow they got much easier to beat.

But then he's had top 5 defensive talent at his disposal this year and he's delivered a mediocre D.

They had a bad stretch in the Jets game last week with reserves......but late in the game I thought they were playing some of the best D we've seen from them with a number of backups in the lineup.

With Mario getting hurt I think the chances of them picking up Coples......even if Rex didn't really like him that much......increased substantially.

Not saying Mario is going to IR but I think Rex wouldn't mind sending him there. :lol:

Considering Ray Lewis blamed the TD on Mario, it may happen sooner than later. The D definitely missed 99 more than it missed 94 when the two were out.

Doesnt he have a large cap hit?

CBF

Not this season. Miami is only on the hook for the prorated portion of his $1.5M salary for this season. The huge risk concerns his $7.75M option for next season which is guaranteed for injury. If he's injured this season and can't pass a physical by the first day of next season then Miami is on the hook for that. This was an incredibly stupid move by them.