Jason Hatcher Rips the Refs

Rob's House

This.

Instead of trotting out a group of 50-60 year old men who only do this part time, make it a full time job and bring in refs who are in their physical and mental prime.

If the refs were working together all offseason on what should be called and when, I think you would at least have more consistency.

I understand human error and dont expect these guys to be perfect robots, but there is plenty of ground to make up until they are even close to that, and they need to be way better than they are currently.

Maybe it's time to realize what century we are in and use modern technology to track the play. The NFL could afford to use a system of strategically located and computer controlled cameras above and to all sides of the field, rather than throwing more non athletes onto the field to get in the way of the play. There are only how many stadiums that would need to be fitted for a such a system? A system could be set up to relay the feed of the whole field from enough angles which would be superior to human bodies on the field. Let the new refs learn to use technology to officiate the game from the sidelines, or even a central remote location. Plus imagine the improvement in TV viewing (and scoreboard video feeds) with all the improved camera views and angles for our viewing pleasure. Or imagine the interactive possibilities if a fan could pay for access to any feed from any camera they desired during the game.The current ref situation is a dinosaur tradition

Edited by simpleman

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched Red Zone channel all day. Refs are horrible in every game......they call defensive holding when none occurs....and let go so many helmet to helmet hits on defenseless receivers.....officiating in NFL needs an overhaul of some sort...I'm not sure how to fix it but it needs to happen.

It's easy: accountability. I think the ref's are zoned out half the time. Ever hear of a ref getting a fine for blowing a big call? Nope, but if you complain about the ref blowing a huge call YOU get a fine. Utterly ridiculous. Refs being "graded" for the Playoffs as a system of accountability is a joke. That still leaves you with poor officials in regular season games. Fine them, and then fire them. Their union won't like it, but let them go on strike again, the replacements were better anyway.

Hire full time refs who only officiate NFL games and that's their job. Let them work on their craft year round instead of doing it part time. I don't think there is any doubt that someone who devotes all of their work time to improving will be better than guys who do it in addition to whatever their profession is.

There is zero evidence that this would lead to any improvement whatsoever. Expand replay to include PI and hold refs accountable for lousy calls.

Hire full time refs who only officiate NFL games and that's their job. Let them work on their craft year round instead of doing it part time. I don't think there is any doubt that someone who devotes all of their work time to improving will be better than guys who do it in addition to whatever their profession is.

That would be a good start. Honestly, what is the logic behind part time refs?

It's easy: accountability. I think the ref's are zoned out half the time. Ever hear of a ref getting a fine for blowing a big call? Nope, but if you complain about the ref blowing a huge call YOU get a fine. Utterly ridiculous. Refs being "graded" for the Playoffs as a system of accountability is a joke. That still leaves you with poor officials in regular season games. Fine them, and then fire them. Their union won't like it, but let them go on strike again, the replacements were better anyway.

+1

Accountability is a huge issue for me as well. I think there's credence to the whole, better cameras, better TV's mean we scrutinize each call a bit more than in the past, but there doesn't appear to be any incentive for the refs to get any better. The more experience these guys have it appears the more desensitized they are to f*cking everything up.

The biggest problem, IMO, are the discretionary calls. They're so quick to throw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct which can really swing a game. Some of the ticky tack holding calls and PI calls just shouldn't be made. I understand they're only human, but they should err on the side of keeping the flags in their pockets unless it's a clear rule violation.

Who ever felt robbed because an unsportsmanlike conduct or ticky tack holding call DIDN'T get called?

Hey, come on...was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??

These "full time ref" posts always are good for a goof.

Refs can do a lot in the offseason to prepare for the coming season. It's not all about actual games. There are loads of classroom and training exercises that would keep these guys immersed in the profession instead of it being something they do on the side.

I guess you're someone who thinks that the more you prepare and train to do something doesn't make you better. :lol:

Edited by MDH

what would they do from February to July?

Anything having to do with football, the NFL, what to call and when to call it, review tape, work with reps from the teams to get on the same page...

The NFL brings in BILLIONS of dollars each year, it can afford to pay their refs (arguably the largest influence on games outside of the actual teams) six figure salaries to be not so horrible.

My question to you and any other person opposed to full time refs is: Why not?

:doh:

are you saying teachers don't take the summer off....the ones I know do

Anything having to do with football, the NFL, what to call and when to call it, review tape, work with reps from the teams to get on the same page...

The NFL brings in BILLIONS of dollars each year, it can afford to pay their refs (arguably the largest influence on games outside of the actual teams) six figure salaries to be not so horrible.

I don't have any objection to full time refs.......I just want better ones

Refs can do a lot in the offseason to prepare for the coming season. It's not all about actual games. There are loads of classroom and training exercises that would keep these guys immersed in the profession instead of it being something they do on the side.

I guess you're someone who thinks that the more you prepare and train to do something doesn't make you better. :lol:

Is that what MLB umps and NBA refs do in the off season--go to classrooms? No.

As for training, each NFL official has at least 10 years of NCAA experience. They are scouted by the league and the best are invited to a development program to be further weeded out.

In the NBA and MLB, it's not a year round job. In the offseason, these guys do other things for money: run camps, drive cabs, etc.

This argument for full time refs makes no sense.

So just paying people more makes them better? You must be the Redskins/Jets shadow GM...

Are you trying to say NBA refs are good? They're horrible as well.

I don't watch baseball, so I don't have an opinion MLB refs.

are you saying teachers don't take the summer off....the ones I know do

I'm saying good teachers don't take the entire summer off.

If nothing else, maybe we'd get more consistent officiating.

Is that what MLB umps and NBA refs do in the off season--go to classrooms? No.

As for training, each NFL official has at least 10 years of NCAA experience. They are scouted by the league and the best are invited to a development program to be further weeded out.

In the NBA and MLB, it's not a year round job. In the offseason, these guys do other things for money: run camps, drive cabs, etc.

This argument for full time refs makes no sense.

It makes total sense. You can't stay as sharp doing something part time compared to being immersed in it daily. Football players don't sit around during the offseason because there are no games. They take steps to improve themselves. It's a year round job even though there are only games 16 weeks a year. The refs should have that same type of dedication to their craft. Just like the players, the calls they make decide games.

If they had full time officials there would be no need to do things in the offseason for money. They'd have a regimented training program that kept them sharp. You wouldn't have mistakes made like in the Seahawks/Lions game with the batted ball.

Would it be perfect? Obviously not, but it would definitely be an improvement. You have a multi-billion dollar industry with players who makes tens of millions of dollars a year and the NFL can't pay the money to make the officiating as good as possible?

It makes total sense. You can't stay as sharp doing something part time compared to being immersed in it daily. Football players don't sit around during the offseason because there are no games. They take steps to improve themselves. It's a year round job even though there are only games 16 weeks a year. The refs should have that same type of dedication to their craft. Just like the players, the calls they make decide games.

If they had full time officials there would be no need to do things in the offseason for money. They'd have a regimented training program that kept them sharp. You wouldn't have mistakes made like in the Seahawks/Lions game with the batted ball.

Would it be perfect? Obviously not, but it would definitely be an improvement. You have a multi-billion dollar industry with players who makes tens of millions of dollars a year and the NFL can't pay the money to make the officiating as good as possible?

Again, in the NFL, NBA, MLB, none of what you say the NFL refs lack is happening. NBA refs work 2 or 3 games a week. There is no office of classroom to go to on their off days. In the offseason for all of these sports, there is no job to go to. They do other things. It's little different than the NFL except that in those other leagues, they are tied up for 80-160+ games a season and really can't have another in season job.

Every year, during training camp and the preseason, NFL players prove that many of them do not do a lot to stay in shape in the offseason, given the annual preseason rate of injuries.