Use Charles Clay more - why aren't they getting him the ball

San-O

Fragile is a harsh term.

They were worried McCoy wasn't going to be ready to start this season, and he has already missed a bunch of games. Watkins apparently played hurt all last year, and has missed games this year. Tyrod is a running QB, not very big, and has missed games this season.

I don't believe all these guys are going to go the rest of the season without missing games. Injuries can't be an excuse. If one of these guys was Peyton Manning/Brady/Montana, or Jerry Rice/DeAndre Hopkins/Paul Warfield type talents, then it might be convincing.

What a 6 pack of names.... One of these things is not like the others.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Matchups. You need those kind of players to create mismatches. Too easy to defend otherwise. If you want to run the ball, you need to dictate to the defense with those kinds of players or you'll be looking at stacked fronts.

Of course tomorrow will count. The offense is not that good. They have talent, but are not yet the offense they could be. Was the first game vs Pats really any surprise ? After a preseason with no decided QB, no starting WRs practicing with said QBs , and McCoys injury? It shouldn't have been, and not in the same universe as the Pats with the same skill position parts and QB for many seasons. Time will tell. They should be good enough to compete with the Pats right now. There is nearly no chance of the Bills winning , but if they have playoff hopes they need a Giants / Jets type night vs NE.

Then we agree. Nothing here is different from what I have ever claimed. But I expect the injuries to continue...so then what? Is that good enough, a team that could win, if the guys just didn't get injured?

I don't see why they need a miracle to beat the Patriots. They should be able to compete with any team in the league, and I expect them to win. Again, it's bizarre to me that people think I'm not a "real fan", when I actually expect them to win going in to every game. I just usually don't expect much when it comes to an overall record.

Instead, the guys that call me a troll all concede games to the Patriots before the season even starts...

Edited by HoF Watkins

Then we agree. Nothing here is different from what I have ever claimed. But I expect the injuries to continue...so then what? Is that good enough, a team that could win, if the guys just didn't get injured?

I don't see why they need a miracle to beat the Patriots. They should be able to compete with any team in the league, and I expect them to win. Again, it's bizarre to me that people think I'm not a "real fan", when I actually expect them to win going in to every game. I just usually don't expect much when it comes to an overall record.

You can always expect there will be injuries on every team. You just can't predict the randomness of who gets injured when and how badly. Those things have tremendous impact on seasons. Is it good enough is a tough question. Good enought to still make the playoffs? Good enough for ownership? Who knows. It's not for us fans to decide. The owners / team management will do as they see fit.

As for being a fan , the only qualifier is that one roots for their team to win. ( except in the rare instance of a "tank") . It has nothing to do with if you expect them to win or lose. I'm a Bills fan, but I don't expect them to beat the Pats tomorrow. I'm a realist. The Pats are better, for lots of reasons. I don't think they need a miracle to beat the Pats. Not exactly. They do need a rare occurrence : the Pats making more mistakes than they do. Because all things being equal, the Pats will win by ten or so.

You can always expect there will be injuries on every team. You just can't predict the randomness of who gets injured when and how badly. Those things have tremendous impact on seasons. Is it good enough is a tough question. Good enought to still make the playoffs? Good enough for ownership? Who knows. It's not for us fans to decide. The owners / team management will do as they see fit.

As for being a fan , the only qualifier is that one roots for their team to win. ( except in the rare instance of a "tank") . It has nothing to do with if you expect them to win or lose. I'm a Bills fan, but I don't expect them to beat the Pats tomorrow. I'm a realist. The Pats are better, for lots of reasons. I don't think they need a miracle to beat the Pats. Not exactly. They do need a rare occurrence : the Pats making more mistakes than they do. Because all things being equal, the Pats will win by ten or so.

You seem a reasonable sort, but there are plenty others here that don't live by that creed. My message is for them.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I don't know, but I wished they would have spent the money on a couple of free agent lineman.

They tried. Bulaga, for example, took less $ to stay in GB. The Bills made the effort, but you can't make guys minds up for them. So they turned to other positions for impact, such as Harvin. It's not like the Bills ignored the OL. Just didn't land their targets.

Charles Clay was a huge signing this off-season, I think everyone would have had to agree when it happened.

Why isn't he getting the ball more? I thought he was supposed to be a huge mismatch for the Bills O, and they don't

seem to be able to get him the ball with any consistency: IMO

He catches the ball when targeted and can run also. What gives?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14145/charles-clay

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14145/charles-clay

And Sammy's agent wants the Bills to throw the ball 15 times to Sammy !!!!!

I have been noticing today that tight ends that stand at least six inches taller than anyone else on the field are getting used by many teams. Clay isn't as tall as some that I saw today, but he is strong, can run routes well, and has good hands. The fact that he isn't being used to move the chains more often is indeed puzzling.

I have been noticing today that tight ends that stand at least six inches taller than anyone else on the field are getting used by many teams. Clay isn't as tall as some that I saw today, but he is strong, can run routes well, and has good hands. The fact that he isn't being used to move the chains more often is indeed puzzling.

He's on pace for 70+ catches. How many do you expect?

We may have the QB already. He's just not there yet. We'll see, but no matter how the TT plays from here on out they need to bring in another option and continually try to improve the position until they are 100% positive they have their guy.

Of course they do!

They should bring them in even if TT turns it upfield as a player.

But we might just have something here.

This offense was bound and determined to spread the ball around. nobody gets a fantasy season. Team game.

But Clay might have a game Monday!

Edited by 3rdand12

i didnt know mcfaden was on our team...what is he a rb or TE? whats his number?

so you DO read all the the words? excellent!

:flirt:

Seems like he was the favorite target earlier in the season, but lately not so much.

Not sure why.

he's been working on his blocking game :w00t:

Seems like he was the favorite target earlier in the season, but lately not so much.

Not sure why.

21 catches in the first month, 18 catches in the last (despite a 1 target game in there where we barely threw and it was all to Sammy).

Outside that game he's been high targeted and productive.

21 catches in the first month, 18 catches in the last (despite a 1 target game in there where we barely threw and it was all to Sammy).

Outside that game he's been high targeted and productive.

I'm probably over emphasizing that 1 target game in my head.

The fact that this is not a "pass first" team also makes it seem like he isn't getting much action.

I'm probably over emphasizing that 1 target game in my head.

The fact that this is not a "pass first" team also makes it seem like he isn't getting much action.

I hear that - easy to do. That's why I wanted to point out the numbers. I'm betting plenty don't realize what a large part of our passing game he's been.

Stats say Clay is getting the targets. I'd like to see a break down of where we throw the ball. Seems like we hit a lot in the flat and sideline. Middle feels underused to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but more quick throws into the seams or middle makes sense when we're being blitzed. Run some quick pick plays to free up both guys and quickly hit the one who comes open. TT still learning to feel the pressure and needs some quick reads to slants and crosses. Seemed early in the year there was some success up the seam to Clay? Can't ground and pound against run blitzes and stacked lines. Shady has been a marvel to watch of late, but the OL has been a glaring weakness against strong front sevens. My two cents...