Very Phishy mayor pays ethics fines in loose change

Saxum

It is no kettle of fish to say this

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/hialeah/article45416034.html

The Miami-Dade Commission on Ethics and Public Trust has sued Hialeah Mayor Carlos Hernandez for trying to pay $4,000 in fines and costs with 28 buckets of pennies and nickels, the commission said Wednesday.

In a statement, the Commission said it rejected Hernandez move, calling it a ploy that was “deemed commercially unreasonable and contemptuous.” The mayor, accompanied by several television crews, disregarded a requirement to pay in check and instead delivered 360,000 coins last month.

Issue is cost of counting change. I know locally they will not allow you to pay fines above a certain amount in coins.

Personally I'd add a change counting machine at office with % paid to owner of machine; this would make the person paying do the work.

Also if you read article it was a political grandstanding by a politician involved in several schemes.

Issue is cost of counting change. I know locally they will not allow you to pay fines above a certain amount in coins.

Personally I'd add a change counting machine at office with % paid to owner of machine; this would make the person paying do the work.

Also if you read article it was a political grandstanding by a politician involved in several schemes.

Yeah, but a requirement to pay by check is bull ****.

He should have paid in two dollar bills. That's always fun. getting arrested for counterfeiting.

I think taking a personal CHECK from someone with such checkered background is bad idea too. He is paying for publicity (yes clowns are in season this political year) and would probably bounce check to get more. I'd require a bank certified check from him.

Of course it was grandstanding. That's the point of paying with loose change

It is reasonable for there to be an accounting charge for paying with loose change just as there are accounting fees for paying by credit card. But those charges and fees have to be posted.

They can't just say we want a check and refuse payment.

The debt was paid in US currency and should be settled