Why not stick with Shane Matthews as backup?

muddy waters

I see all kinds of names being tossed about as a possible veteran backup, and I question if any are a better alternative than Shane Matthews. At 35 this year, he still has a season or two in him and he has the veteran experience that could help support Losman or fill in if he has to. I realize he may not have much left to take us through a season as a starter, but some of thother alternatives out there are ridiculous.

I see all kinds of names  being tossed about as a possible veteran backup, and I question if any are a better alternative  than Shane Matthews.  At 35 this year, he still has a season or two in him and he has the veteran experience that could help support Losman or fill in if he has to.  I realize he may not have much left to take us through a season as a starter, but some of thother alternatives out there are ridiculous.

241333[/snapback]

Matthews was strongly hinting at retirement in December. So much so that Mularkey put him in the San Fran game so Matthews could try and get a final TD pass. He's been in the league for about 11 years, so I don't see him coming back...unless the Bills can convince him based on today's news.

I see all kinds of names  being tossed about as a possible veteran backup, and I question if any are a better alternative  than Shane Matthews.  At 35 this year, he still has a season or two in him and he has the veteran experience that could help support Losman or fill in if he has to.  I realize he may not have much left to take us through a season as a starter, but some of thother alternatives out there are ridiculous.

241333[/snapback]

The word in the press is that he has decided to return to the couch he was rescued from when the Bills were forced to find a QB by the injuries to JP and Travis Brown. Given his level of past play and the fact he was on no roster during last pre-season, I don't think we can seriously even consider him as our 3rd string QB untile we here some statement from him he wants the job.

241333[/snapback]

That comment is incorrect. Having Shane backup Losman would be a bad idea.