Skins to sign K. Cousins 17mill yr. how much is TT worth

17 Josh Allen

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a great deal, yes. Do you think Cutler would have taken it? Or Wilson? Or Eli Manning?

As I said in a post below, teams will be crippled wrt the salary cap by these contracts and there isn't much that can be done about it. And I agree with metz above. Can the Skins let Cousins walk and perhaps wind up with an EJ or Geno Smith?

I wouldn't be offering that deal to a Wilson or an Eli. I wouldn't care a jot about losing a Cutler or a Cousins. The goal is to win a Championship isn't it? If I can't win a Championship with a guy then I am not committing myself to him long term. I am willing to pay him pretty well to be my starter in the meantime.... and every year he is on my roster post-March his contract becomes guaranteed for that year but if a Cutler or a Cousins doesn't want to agree to that then see you later and off you go down the road. Some other team can pay you millions of dollars for 5 years of flattering to deceive.

Kaep was actually a tougher case than Cutler or Cousins... because he was a guy who you thought might be a Championship QB at the end of his rookie deal you just weren't sure. He took that deal.

What's the deal with TT's contract anyways? I remember it being a little weird based on if he was starter, or something?

He is tied in for next year. If he is the starter the 3rd year becomes voidable - which I am sure was a way of making the Bill renegotiate early with him.

I've been tracking the Skins a little bit, and Cousins is getting a LOT better. The game is finally coming to him, and he seems to now understand NFL defensive scheming. He may turn out to be good.

Someone above says he has a rag arm. That is simply not true, and it's evident if you watch him. He can make the throws.

He's worth $17 to 20 million per year :w00t:

OMG. This is what happens when meh QB's play against the historically WORST defense in league history!?!?!

It's not just the Saints. He has had other good games too. I recommend watching him.

I actually looked at his stats. While decent (2,200 yards, 14 tds, 9 ints) they don't deserve that kind of money. Some team will give it to him though if he hits free agency & that team will regret it for the next five years most likely. I think Tannehill & Dalton are similar situations. Good decent QB's but guys that got paid more than they were worth just from the simple point of how pitiful the QB is around the league these days.

His stats are misleading. Plus, he's made steady and substantial improvement over the course of the season. If he keeps playing the way he has over the last few weeks he'll be highly sought after.

I can't imagine him getting that kind of money, but with redskins nothing would shock me

Agreed.

Cousins is gonna get paid because he picked apart the Saints? I mean he has shown potential but has also had some lousy games.

I don't think it's a coincidence that these numbers are being floated out there right after his recent quality performances, including the Saints game. He's got a smart agent.

What's the deal with TT's contract anyways? I remember it being a little weird based on if he was starter, or something?

Yes. Here is a link:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor/

I've been tracking the Skins a little bit, and Cousins is getting a LOT better. The game is finally coming to him, and he seems to now understand NFL defensive scheming. He may turn out to be good.

Someone above says he has a rag arm. That is simply not true, and it's evident if you watch him. He can make the throws.

It's not just the Saints. He has had other good games too. I recommend watching him.

I listen to Chris Cooley talk about him every weekday in his film breakdown. No need to watch.

Yes, Kirk has improved. If the FO wants to overpay a JAG let them. I'd love to see them throw $25Mil + away on 2 QB's.

In his 3rd year and so far he's 4-5. One might argue the W against the Giants where many say the Giants blew the game late in the 4th. - The Manning don't score game?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Basically if he starts 50% of our games this year or next year then 2017 is voided 5 days after the 2016 Super Bowl. The rest of the confusing stuff is just escalator clauses based on starts, playoff apperances, etc. IMO there will be extension talks this offseason, which would keep him relatively cheap next year and then pay him after that.

I will go back and watch some more Kirk Cousins given the opinions of some on this board which I have to say surprise me in terms of how good they think he is. I have watched 3 Skins games in full this year - the Dolphins game on opening day, the TNF against the Giants and the Jets game and I came away distinctly unimpressed with him in each... but I will try and find time this evening to watch Sunday's game in full - are there any others that the pro-Cousins crowd would particularly recommend?

Basically if he starts 50% of our games this year or next year then 2017 is voided 5 days after the 2016 Super Bowl. The rest of the confusing stuff is just escalator clauses based on starts, playoff apperances, etc. IMO there will be extension talks this offseason, which would keep him relatively cheap next year and then pay him after that.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor/

I will go back and watch some more Kirk Cousins given the opinions of some on this board which I have to say surprise me in terms of how good they think he is. I have watched 3 Skins games in full this year - the Dolphins game on opening day, the TNF against the Giants and the Jets game and I came away distinctly unimpressed with him in each... but I will try and find time this evening to watch Sunday's game in full - are there any others that the pro-Cousins crowd would particularly recommend?

He dug them out of a deep hole in TB. The NE game is worth watching to showcase the distinction between his play and his stats.

One of the reasons people are high on Cousins is not so much that he's been dominating but because he shows steady improvement. He's learning how to read defenses and is making better decisions.

He's basically what we've been told EJ was: a guy with all the physical tools who needs to develop. The main differences are that Cousins does appear to have the tools and does appear to be developing.

I feel this is like The Office episode where Andy wants to leave to become an actor. Everyone encourages him not to, because he's pretty talentless but he does it anyway. I want to tell Dan Snyder this, but I know he wouldn't listen. Don't do it Dan!

I think that this is closer. Someone the other day was saying that they would never sign Tyrod to a Fitz deal (19th highest paid QB). $15M or so is going to be the starting point.

I live in the Md/DC area and have followed the Skins' qb saga. Gruden with conviction didn't believe that RGIII had the capacity to play the position and had enough durability to endure the inevitable physical punishment. As much criticism that Shanahan took for his cold blooded assessment of RGIII the bottom line is that he was right. Gruden saw the same things that Shanahan and his son, the OC, with both staffs coming to the same conclusions regarding this diva qb.

In my opinion Cousins is going to get between $18-20 M per yr. Is he worth that amount? You pay the market rate or you don't. It's understood that there are many other teams desperate for a capable starting qb and willing to invest in your qb.

The Skins have a new GM whose philosophy is to build the roster so that the qb who is taking the snaps will be in a better position to succeed. If you wait for your ideal qb you will be futilely waiting for odds that are not in your favor.

I forgot about Dalton! I wonder what his record would be if he was not playing on perhaps the most talented team in the league. That said, he is probably worth whatever he is paid these days.

Edit: The Bengals did well with Dalton's contract.....

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/andy-dalton/

Funny how time changes perspectives, isn't it? A lot of people thought the Bengals were crazy at the time.

His ceiling is Trent Green, and I doubt he ever gets there consistently.

Trent Green was a good QB.

People keep looking for the next Brady/Manning/Rodgers but there just aren't very many of those guys. Most teams would be improved by having a Trent Green.

He definetly has a rag arm. Sports science said he throws the highest ratio of interceptable passes since Ryan Leaf.

A good few games and everyone forgets the dumpster fires that happened before.

Edited by Ryan L Billz