FILM REV - WEEK 9- JETS- INCOGNITO/ROMAN STRUGGLE

Bocephuz

In my estimation TT has all the requisite attributes to be a good qb other than height.

Has any professional athlete gone thru bone lengthening? I think it is not practical for starting QB since recovery time is so long but if someone was injured in training camp and would be not playing for a year maybe it would work especially if you were not trying to grow so much.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/york-man-grows-inches-surgery/story?id=15776730

Surgeons break the leg bone in two and implant a state-of-the-art telescopic rod into the middle of the broken bones which then pulls the bone apart very slowly, about one millimeter a day.

New bone grows around it and tissues like the muscle, the nerves, the arteries, and the skin, regenerate as well.

At about $85,000, the procedure is expensive and the process lengthy. It takes at least three months to complete it and it requires demanding and excruciating physical therapy.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bocephuz, Excellent job as usual.

The most important issue in your analysis is how is TT playing and is he steadily getting better? If by the end of the season it is determined that Taylor can be a capable franchise qb then other positional weaknesses can be more readily addressed. To a great extent getting the qb position settled is even more important than wins and losses.

In my estimation TT has all the requisite attributes to be a good qb other than height. He is mobile, has the arm, is accurate and has a feel for the game. From what everyone in the organization says about him he has a good work ethic and is very mature. He does lack high end pocket presence and an ability to go through his progressions but those problems can be attributed to a lack of playing time in his career. That is why when watching him play the critical point is recognizing whether he is steadily improving or not. I'm certainly biased but I believe he is on the right track.

Based on all of the games I have watched so far.. TT appears to be a "capable" starting caliber NFL QB. He has consistently displayed 2 of the most important traits a QB needs to display.. accuracy and good decision making. His accuracy has not fluctuated at all through preseason or regular season. He has consistently put the ball in positions where his receivers can make a football move after the catch. In his last 2 games ( against talented defenses) by my count he has only committed 3 unforced errors. In the games where he has had INTs they have typically been when the team is behind and he is trying to push things. In other words.. I can't really recall an interception he has thrown early in a game that was just a "boneheaded" decision ( I may have missed one or two .. but I really can't think of any).

The caveat to all of this is that his "ceiling" ( not to use a bad pun here) is limited due to his height.WGR is usually just a bunch of noise.. but someone on that station made the comparison to Doug Flutie.. and I think it's actually quite appropriate. Flutie at his best was a playoff caliber QB who could occasionally take the team on his back.. but most of time he just did a decent job of getting the ball to his playmakers and using his feet to make plays at appropriate times. He was never going to be able to sit back in the pocket and go through all of his progressions like talker QBs of his era ( Jim Kelly,Marino..etcc..) but he was very good at compensating for his weakness and finding passing lines on the run.

With all that being said.. I would be very happy if the Bills sign TT to an extension and I think he will give the team a chance to be competitive for years to come. I would also add that we should still actively pursue a more traditional high round QB whose measurables would not give him limitations. EJ had a chance to be that guy.. but after watching and evaluating him for the past few years I am confident in saying that EJ is better suited to be a backup QB in the NFL.

Edited by Bocephuz

Based on all of the games I have watched so far.. TT appears to be a "capable" starting caliber NFL QB. He has consistently displayed 2 of the most important traits a QB needs to display.. accuracy and good decision making. His accuracy has not fluctuated at all through preseason or regular season. He has consistently put the ball in positions where his receivers can make a football move after the catch. In his last 2 games ( against talented defenses) by my count he has only committed 3 unforced errors. In the games where he has had INTs they have typically been when the team is behind and he is trying to push things. In other words.. I can't really recall an interception he has thrown early in a game that was just a "boneheaded" decision ( I may have missed one or two .. but I really can't think of any).

The caveat to all of this is that his "ceiling" ( not to use a bad pun here) is limited due to his height.WGR is usually just a bunch of noise.. but someone on that station made the comparison to Doug Flutie.. and I think it's actually quite appropriate. Flutie at his best was a playoff caliber QB who could occasionally take the team on his back.. but most of time he just did a decent job of getting the ball to his playmakers and using his feet to make plays at appropriate times. He was never going to be able to sit back in the pocket and go through all of his progressions like talker QBs of his era ( Jim Kelly,Marino..etcc..) but he was very good at compensating for his weakness and finding passing lines on the run.

With all that being said.. I would be very happy if the Bills sign TT to an extension and I think he will give the team a chance to be competitive for years to come. I would also add that we should still actively pursue a more traditional high round QB whose measurables would not give him limitations. EJ had a chance to be that guy.. but after watching and evaluating him for the past few years I am confident in saying that EJ is better suited to be a backup QB in the NFL.

Your response is well thought out and stated. However, I respectfully and strenuously disagree with your TT comparison to Flutie. TT has a much stronger arm and a better feel for the passing game than Flutie. Flutie was more of an improviser than TT. TT has a much wider passing range than Flutie.

In my opinion TT is still learning to make the reads in the pocket. Is he going to be exceptional at that task? No. Right now what TT does very well, if not exceptionally well, is that he keeps his eyes down the field and finds the open receiver while he is extending the play.

I'm not suggesting that TT is going to be a prolific passer or even an elite qb. I am comfortable in saying that he is capable of being a good starter in this league who has limitations (adroitness in the pocket) but can be effective because he can compensate with his mobility and pass on the move.

Has any professional athlete gone thru bone lengthening? I think it is not practical for starting QB since recovery time is so long but if someone was injured in training camp and would be not playing for a year maybe it would work especially if you were not trying to grow so much.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/york-man-grows-inches-surgery/story?id=15776730

That's hardcore

Your response is well thought out and stated. However, I respectfully and strenuously disagree with your TT comparison to Flutie. TT has a much stronger arm and a better feel for the passing game than Flutie. Flutie was more of an improviser than TT. TT has a much wider passing range than Flutie.

In my opinion TT is still learning to make the reads in the pocket. Is he going to be exceptional at that task? No. Right now what TT does very well, if not exceptionally well, is that he keeps his eyes down the field and finds the open receiver while he is extending the play.

I'm not suggesting that TT is going to be a prolific passer or even an elite qb. I am comfortable in saying that he is capable of being a good starter in this league who has limitations (adroitness in the pocket) but can be effective because he can compensate with his mobility and pass on the move.

Your points are well taken. The Flutie comparison is not exact.. Clearly TT has a better arm and can make more throws.

I am also optimistic about TT improving his ability to go through his progressions and I don't think his development as a QB will be limited by his mental makeup. And to your point.. he really does a good job of keeping his eyes downfield. However.. like Flutie.. I think TT's lack of height will make it difficult for him to reach that "Top 5" level. Think about guys like Brady and Rivers and how they buy an extra second or so by doing a little side step in the pocket to avoid the rush and they always have throwing lanes because they are 6'4" - 6'5". TT will never have that advantage ( unless he does bone lengthening or wears lifts).

All that being said..I do think you and I are on the same page at the end of the day. TT is most likely a good starter with limitations.

Edited by Bocephuz

That's hardcore

Your points are well taken. The Flutie comparison is not exact.. Clearly TT has a better arm and can make more throws.

I am also optimistic about TT improving his ability to go through his progressions and I don't think his development as a QB will be limited by his mental makeup. And to your point.. he really does a good job of keeping his eyes downfield. However.. like Flutie.. I think TT's lack of height will make it difficult for him to reach that "Top 5" level. Think about guys like Brady and Rivers and how they buy an extra second or so by doing a little side step in the pocket to avoid the rush and they always have throwing lanes because they are 6'4" - 6'5". TT will never have that advantage ( unless he does bone lengthening or wears lifts).

All that being said..I do think you and I are on the same page at the end of the day. TT is most likely a good starter with limitations.

Flutie could not throw the 15-yard out, into the wind, to both sidelines, with regularity. He could do it from time to time but needed to hurl his entire body into the pass.

Taylor has the arm strength to make that throw.

That's hardcore

Your last sentence is how I see it. Drew Brees is about the same height as TT. But Brees is phenomenal in making the snap shot read in the pocket and then accurately throwing the ball. TT will never have that talent and comfort level in the pocket. Few qbs have that incredible vision and processing action.

My primary concern with TT is his durability. Without a doubt for a qb he is a terrific runner. But the more he exposes himself with his runs the more he increases his chances of getting hurt. My preference is for him to move to extend the play and then get rid of the ball. NYC Bill constantly encourages him to run. Over this issue I constantly get annoyed with his encouragement for him to take off. :thumbdown:

Your last sentence is how I see it. Drew Brees is about the same height as TT. But Brees is phenomenal in making the snap shot read in the pocket and then accurately throwing the ball. TT will never have that talent and comfort level in the pocket. Few qbs have that incredible vision and processing action.

My primary concern with TT is his durability. Without a doubt for a qb he is a terrific runner. But the more he exposes himself with his runs the more he increases his chances of getting hurt. My preference is for him to move to extend the play and then get rid of the ball. NYC Bill constantly encourages him to run. Over this issue I constantly get annoyed with his encouragement for him to take off. :thumbdown:

Right.. best case scenario is Drew Brees.. but he seems to be an anomaly .. so the likelihood of that outcome is low.

I do think his playing style and size makes his injury risk high.. another reason why even as he appears to be the "answer" for the next few years.. we should still look to draft his replacement..as early as 2016.

Edited by Bocephuz