FILM REV - WEEK 9- JETS- INCOGNITO/ROMAN STRUGGLE

Bocephuz

Tyrod makes a nice play there. I was impressed by him getting to his second read, which is better than usual, and sliding away from pressure.

On that play he held the ball for about 2.5 seconds.

Not to crap all over what he did there, because it was nice; but he needs to be able to do exactly what he did there with consistency. Also, what happens when his second read isn't open? This has been one of the rare times he has been able to get past his first read (once again, a good thing when he can do it). He's going to have to do what he did there with much greater frequency, and he's going to have to "extend the play" for 3 seconds or more to get past his 2nd progression.

I think his height ( or lack thereof) is an impediment to this type of development. A taller QB can buy an extra half second or so because he doesn't need throwing lanes as much as a shorter QB. I think this forces TT to have to move out of the pocket a little earlier than desired.. good thing is that he is very accurate on throwing on the run.. bad news is that the called play doesn't have time to develop as much.

This is really the only thing that worries me about his ceiling. He has plus accuracy, plus arm strength, plus composure/leadership.. plus speed..

Edited by Bocephuz

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can find a couple of examples I am certainly open to taking a second look.. I am by no means perfect.

I would respectfully disagree with the headset point.. every second you are distracted by not being able to hear the play call and get your guys in the right spot is a pre-snap second that you cannot focus on reading the defense / audibling.. etc..

3-10 (7 man rush) at 6:14 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LBdRQ6hwXs

Tyrod makes the correct call to bring Clay into the backfield to block, but does not throw his hot read (Hogan), who you can see starting to come open.

3-10 (7 man rush) at 11:37 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LBdRQ6hwXs

Tyrod identifies the blitz, and shifts his formation to accommodate, but once again does not throw his hot read (Watkins), who you can see starting to come open.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

TT has improved quite a bit quickly throughout the year, but still at times holds the ball too long. With that said, there were so many plays where TT was given all the time in the world to deliver a good throw like KW TD.

As far as run blocking, they've done a nice job of providing some holes for our tandem. Now, can they find a way to do it next week with NE. You know Belicheck is known for taking away your best weapon, so it is obviously KW and LM.

Since they are very different runners, hopefully if they game plan well for one, the other can capitalize on it.

Tyrod makes a nice play there. I was impressed by him getting to his second read, which is better than usual, and sliding away from pressure.

Not to crap all over what he did there, because it was nice; but he needs to be able to do exactly what he did there with consistency. Also, what happens when his second read isn't open? This has been one of the rare times he has been able to get past his first read (once again, a good thing when he can do it). He's going to have to do what he did there with much greater frequency, and he's going to have to "extend the play" for 3 seconds or more to get past his 2nd progression.

Cool. And you're right, he has to do it with consistency. I just think he does it a little more than you give him credit for.

Even on the TD to Karlos it looks like he locks on one guy and waits, but from the all 22 you can see him look to the middle for a different guy clearing out (I think it was Clay) and then looks to Karlos for the score.

Cool. And you're right, he has to do it with consistency. I just think he does it a little more than you give him credit for.

Even on the TD to Karlos it looks like he locks on one guy and waits, but from the all 22 you can see him look to the middle for a different guy clearing out (I think it was Clay) and then looks to Karlos for the score.

Yes, and on the broadcast Simms was 100% wrong -- criticizing Taylor for locking on Karlos and "waiting for him to get open" before throwing, but saying he was lucky because the protection allowed him to wait.

What do headset issues have to do with blitz identification?

If you don't get to the line in time you have no time to look over the D. The Bills were consistently getting up to the LoS with very little time left and almost no time to make any adjustments.

If you don't get to the line in time you have no time to look over the D. The Bills were consistently getting up to the LoS with very little time left and almost no time to make any adjustments.

I've posted two examples up-thread where the blitz was identified, but Tyrod did not throw the hot read, which was coming open.

Exactly, no time for anything.

This headset issue needs to be resolved. ASAP.

Imo

Maybe like football air pressure the league needs to take more of a hands-on approach since there appear to be more headset issues in certain stadiums; I am sure one team will have a "scientific" report citing temperature and air pressure being the cause.

Tyrod makes the correct call to bring Clay into the backfield to block, but does not throw his hot read (Hogan), who you can see starting to come open.

Which Tyrod had no chance of stepping into any kind of throw he sees 52 come completely untouched into the backfield open and starts to scramble.

Tyrod identifies the blitz, and shifts his formation to accommodate, but once again does not throw his hot read (Watkins), who you can see starting to come open.

Are you sure this is the correct time of the game for the play you are describing? All I see at that moment is Rex Ryan's face then the next play is a good pass to McCoy... :)

NOTE: Please understand that I am not trying to argue with you here.....you took the time to post these and I want to see what your seeing.

Edited by John from Hemet

I think his height ( or lack thereof) is an impediment to this type of development. A taller QB can buy an extra half second or so because he doesn't need throwing lanes as much as a shorter QB. I think this forces TT to have to move out of the pocket a little earlier than desired.. good thing is that he is very accurate on throwing on the run.. bad news is that the called play doesn't have time to develop as much.

This is really the only thing that worries me about his ceiling. He has plus accuracy, plus arm strength, plus composure/leadership.. plus speed..

My concern since he started the regular season, is his vision and guys clearing out lanes. something that might take time to develop.

If i have been delinquent on thanking you , please forgive. Your insight is greatly appreciated by us all. And now i find myself looking forward to your notes post game !!

Enlist some one to cover the run blocking Folks!

TT is developing as is the offense top to bottom.

Thanks Bocephuz many times over :)

I think he is starting to trust the line so he will take the time to look off. Its coming. just gotta trust the line, because of course they are trustworthy LOL

Exactly, no time for anything.

This headset issue needs to be resolved. ASAP.

Imo

and Bills should expect it, then plan for it. get those good ole hand signal coming in. and let TT make and or change the call.

lets go!

Edited by 3rdand12

Which Tyrod had no chance of stepping into any kind of throw he sees 52 come completely untouched into the backfield open and starts to scramble.

Are you sure this is the correct time of the game for the play you are describing? All I see at that moment is Rex Ryan's face then the next play is a good pass to McCoy... :)

NOTE: Please understand that I am not trying to argue with you here.....you took the time to post these and I want to see what your seeing.

The second play is 12:37, not 11:37 as origionally posted.

Of course he doesn't have time to make the throw he might want to.

That's the purpose of the hot read.

The quarterback makes a presnap read, determines a blitz, and makes a change to protection and routes associated to accomodate.

He knows, at this point, that he doesn't have time to run as designed unless the line manages to thwart to blitz, which is secondary thought.

If any pressure is felt, the quarterback needs to make the hot read throw, which is usually a quick slant, seam, or out into space vacated by the sheer numbers of the blitz. The throw is usually made within a second or less.

Tyrod has plenty of time at the line to call the proper protections, but fails to thow the hot read as the come open into space.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

He also did it on the TD pass to Karlos - I'd have to look again but I'm pretty sure that wasn't his first or second read on that play.

Yes, that's what I just said (didn't see your post). On the Karlos TD, Taylor calmly stood in the pocket and surveyed the field, patiently going through his reads (against one of the best front sevens in football), until Karlos came open.

My concern since he started the regular season, is his vision and guys clearing out lanes. something that might take time to develop.

If i have been delinquent on thanking you , please forgive. Your insight is greatly appreciated by us all. And now i find myself looking forward to your notes post game !!

Enlist some one to cover the run blocking Folks!

TT is developing as is the offense top to bottom.

Thanks Bocephuz many times over :)

I think he is starting to trust the line so he will take the time to look off. Its coming. just gotta trust the line, because of course they are trustworthy LOL

and Bills should expect it, then plan for it. get those good ole hand signal coming in. and let TT make and or change the call.

lets go!

I'm glad some people find this write-up useful.. thank you. And yes... the call goes out to someone to write a weekly run blocking analysis!!!!

I've posted two examples up-thread where the blitz was identified, but Tyrod did not throw the hot read, which was coming open.

Not saying it happened every time, but it happened frequently. I'm with you in saying Tyrod needs to do a better job getting rid of the ball when there is a blitz. I said it immediately after the game.

Not saying it happened every time, but it happened frequently. I'm with you in saying Tyrod needs to do a better job getting rid of the ball when there is a blitz. I said it immediately after the game.

Or someone picks up said blitz?! because somebody is uncovered most likely. He is getting better with progressions. albeit slowly. But no deer in the headlights thats for sure.

He might be better protecting himself by moving around trying to escape the blitz, Instead of opening up his body for a hit with a throw. tough call.

I'm glad some people find this write-up useful.. thank you. And yes... the call goes out to someone to write a weekly run blocking analysis!!!!

I think most all of us find it useful Brother B !!

Bocephuz, Excellent job as usual.

The most important issue in your analysis is how is TT playing and is he steadily getting better? If by the end of the season it is determined that Taylor can be a capable franchise qb then other positional weaknesses can be more readily addressed. To a great extent getting the qb position settled is even more important than wins and losses.

In my estimation TT has all the requisite attributes to be a good qb other than height. He is mobile, has the arm, is accurate and has a feel for the game. From what everyone in the organization says about him he has a good work ethic and is very mature. He does lack high end pocket presence and an ability to go through his progressions but those problems can be attributed to a lack of playing time in his career. That is why when watching him play the critical point is recognizing whether he is steadily improving or not. I'm certainly biased but I believe he is on the right track.