FILM REV - WEEK 9- JETS- INCOGNITO/ROMAN STRUGGLE

Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did /

How the QB did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. there also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalites..but this should be 95% accurate)

DISCLAIMER ( I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS: 33 snaps ( more than last weeks 21 snaps). As the Bills were very close to losing this one.. I would repeat what I said last week.. Less than 30 pass plays/game is what this team should aim for. More than 30 and most likely it will be a razor close win or a loss.

LINE BREAKDOWNS: 5/33 or 16% ( better than last weeks 5 / 21 snaps or 24% .. ) .. However.. there were quite a few screen passes, quick outs here.

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION: 28 out of 33 snaps

UNFORCED QB ERRORS: - 2/ 33 snaps or 6%.. or in other words Tyrod made good decisions/throws on 94% of pass plays. ( last week was 1 / 21 - or 5%.. so about the same as last week).

Bottom Line:

SACKS WERE NOT ALL ON O LINE: Two of the sacks were not due to poor protection.. but rather a combination of poor play calling and smart play by the Jets Wilkerson. In Q1 Roman called a play where the lineman pulled left.. TT faked left .. and then TT tried to rollout to the right but Wilkerson stayed home and got the sack. Pretty much the same play was called in q3 with the same result.. Wilkerson stays home and chases down Taylor for a sack.

MULLIGAN AWFUL IN PASS PROTECT: Mulligan must be one hell of a run blocker.. because he really cant catch too well and his pass protect his awful. Roman tried to help his QB out several times by keeping a TE in tight for max protect... problem is.. Mulligan was the TE. He was beaten to the outside in Q2 .. resulting in a sack. He was also beaten to the outside in Q4 resulting in a crushing hit on TT.

INCOGNITO ROUGH DAY: Incognito has been generally fantastic in pass protect.. but in the last 2 weeks he's slipped a little. He was beaten several times against the Jets in the first half. In Q1 he correctly identified the right guy to block on a 7 man blitz.. unfortunately that player bowled him over and TT was forced to scramble. Later in Q1 he was pulling to the right and both he and McCoy missed their guys resulting in a sack. He was also called for holding. He settled down later.. but he had a bit of a rough first half.

YOUNG GUYS DO WELL: Henderson and Miller looked solid with no glaring errors that I noticed.

TYROD SHAKY GOOD: TT appeared to make very good decisions on the majority of passing snaps for the 2nd week in a row. There were some moments where I felt he abandoned the pocket too early and I was ready to chalk him up for an unforced error.. but he would prove me wrong by overcoming and making a good completion on the run. There was really only one play where he rushed his progressions and made the super easy throw whereas if he chooses to wait an extra second he could have chosen a better target. Overall.. he executed what was asked of him. Roman clearly called quite a few rollout easy one read plays against the Jets.. some of them worked.. some were sniffed out by the Jets. TT also appeared to do a good job of identifying when the blitz was coming and calling in receivers to block it up.

PLAYS OF NOTE

Q1: 14:29 Long ball to Sammy I watched and re-watched this one and I think TTs throw was where it needed to be but Sammy just jumped the gun a little.

Q1: 13:25 - 7 man blitz Incognito gets bowled over by #96.. TT forced to scramble

Q1:-9:40 7 man blitz everyone picks up a blitzer.. however.. no one open and TT scrambles

Q1: 4:01 SACK - 7 man blitz .. .Incognito pulling .. both he and McCoy miss their blocks

Q1: 1:17 Holding on Incognito

Q1: :45 UNFORCED ERROR - TT rushes out throw to Sammy had Clay open over middle for deeper throw if he moves through progressions

Q2:11:06 SACK - Wilkerson not biting on play fake sacks TT

Q2: 5:55 Sammy drops pass

Q2 4:13- SACK - Mulligan beaten to the outside

Q3 10:23- SACK - Wilkerson sniffs out naked bootleg again.. Shame on Roman for calling that play again.. also WILKERSON IS A FREAK OF NATURE.. no way a man that big should be that fast

Q3: 8:50 Woods slips on good slant throw in red zone.. incomplete

Q4 14:12 - Mulligan beaten again TT takes a nast hit but gets rid of it

Q4 11:31 UNFORCED ERROR - TT short arms out throw to Woods.

SUMMARY - The Jets D line is as advertised. Couple that with the balls out 7 man blitzes Bowles calls and I think any O Line would have difficulty. The good news is that the Bills generally had enough guys in to pick up these blitzes and it wasnt really the blitzing that hurt them as much as it was Roman's game plan. Roman was really trying to move the pocket and had quite a few misdirection pass plays called.. problem was.. the Jets didnt bite at all on any of these ( like the Dolphins did in week 3). These kind of calls led directly to sacks and overly conservative throws. I think if Roman would have changed the gameplan at halftime and played the Jets more straight up in pass protect ..the results would have been better.

O Line Pass block grades

GLENN A-

INCOGNITO C-

WOOD B

MILLER B

HENDERSON B

Edited by Bocephuz

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks as usual. Wondering if you could check one thing, how much time did TT stand in the pocket before delivering the TD pass to KW? Seemed that play took an eternity to develop and still no one near Taylor.

Can't tell you exactly how long .. but protection was very solid on that one.. that was a great play call, great throw, great protection. I should have included that as a positive play of note ...

No mention of the consistent failure to identify the blitz pre-snap, make the appropriate adjustments, and hit the hot-reads?

He didn't mention it because it didn't happen. Headset issues...

Imo

Edited by Leroi

No mention of the consistent failure to identify the blitz pre-snap, make the appropriate adjustments, and hit the hot-reads?

To my eye. .Taylor did a very good job identifying and picking up the blitz pre-snap. There were multiple occasions where he called in receivers/RBs in from the edges to help protect. I don't really recall any plays where the Jets had more guys blitzing than what the Bills had in to protect. Now..on some of those plays there were individual breakdowns ( Incognito.. Mulligan ). As far as hot reads..I do recall Sammy dropping what appeared to be a hot read throw.

Imo

This is a good fact that I didn't point out in my write-up. Taylor had zero turnovers and was dealing with headset issues and a team that routinely blitzes 7 guys .. that is encouraging.

Edited by Bocephuz

Thanks, as usual, Boces.

It's funny how OL are almost always thought of as one thing when we speak of them, meaning they are great, good, average, or crappy. But there are two totally different things going on as far as run blocking and pass blocking. The Bills had decent at best pass blocking but mostly very good run blocking against the Jets.

Line is gelling, definitely helps to have Kromer back. Like seeing improvement from Miller and Henderson.

Yes.. earlier in the year both Miller and Henderson had several games where their performance was far below acceptable. I think the time off helped them both and they have been solid the last 2 weeks in pass protect. I have seen fewer mental errors (ie.. not picking up stunts) the past few weeks so certainly having Kromer back is not a bad thing.

Imo

It did happen.

Identifying the blitz pre-snap, and making the hot read has nothing to do with headsets. The head set is off long before the quarterback is making those reads.

To my eye. .Taylor did a very good job identifying and picking up the blitz pre-snap. There were multiple occasions where he called in receivers/RBs in from the edges to help protect. I don't really recall any plays where the Jets had more guys blitzing than what the Bills had in to protect. Now..on some of those plays there were individual breakdowns ( Incognito.. Mulligan ). As far as hot reads..I do recall Sammy dropping what appeared to be a hot read throw.

I am re-watching now. I'll compile a list.

Thanks, as usual, Boces.

It's funny how OL are almost always thought of as one thing when we speak of them, meaning they are great, good, average, or crappy. But there are two totally different things going on as far as run blocking and pass blocking. The Bills had decent at best pass blocking but mostly very good run blocking against the Jets.

Yeah..I need to remind myself that there are 2 separate facets to being a good O Lineman..not just pass protect. From the naked eye just watching the game in real time.. Miller and Henderson seem to have been run blocking really well all year.. which is probably why they weren't benched after the rough pass protect start they both had in the first several games

Edited by Bocephuz

It did happen.

Identifying the blitz pre-snap, and making the hot read has nothing to do with headsets. The head set is off long before the quarterback is making those reads.

If you can find a couple of examples I am certainly open to taking a second look.. I am by no means perfect.

It did happen.

I would respectfully disagree with the headset point.. every second you are distracted by not being able to hear the play call and get your guys in the right spot is a pre-snap second that you cannot focus on reading the defense / audibling.. etc..

If you can find a couple of examples I am certainly open to taking a second look.. I am by no means perfect.

I would respectfully disagree with the headset point.. every second you are distracted by not being able to hear the play call and get your guys in the right spot is a pre-snap second that you cannot focus on reading the defense / audibling.. etc..

Correct. There were half a dozen plays at least that TT had no time at all to read the defense because the play call was late.

When you compile your list, make note of the fact that on the first play of the game on the bomb Taylor slides a little to his left twice to get better lanes and buy more time in the pocket, something he cannot do.

Tyrod makes a nice play there. I was impressed by him getting to his second read, which is better than usual, and sliding away from pressure.

On that play he held the ball for about 2.5 seconds.

Not to crap all over what he did there, because it was nice; but he needs to be able to do exactly what he did there with consistency. Also, what happens when his second read isn't open? This has been one of the rare times he has been able to get past his first read (once again, a good thing when he can do it). He's going to have to do what he did there with much greater frequency, and he's going to have to "extend the play" for 3 seconds or more to get past his 2nd progression.

About 150 yards rushing against the top Rush D (and over 400 yds rushing combined over the past 2 games). Id say the line and OC did alright there.

Yes..that may be true.. but this analysis solely focuses on pass protect. .I don't evaluate run blocking

Edited by Bocephuz