Peyton Manning Benched

Protocal69

He's Ryan Mallet because he is very tall and has a very strong arm. He's more mobile than Mallet but that is about it. He's not all that accurate downfield, he's not a great leader or player or QB. I couldn't believe he was drafted as high as he was but scouts love the size and cannon of course. Again, he was the QB of my favorite team. I saw every game. He wasn't good. Tyrod Taylor was a star and most of his team's fans thought he was fantastic.

Well, he could be, if Mallet were smart and not a constant f-up. And calling Osweiler "the next Ryan Mallett" is weirdly akin to calling TT "the next Pat White" or "a right handed Pat White" or something. While I like TT better right now (who wouldn't? he's actually shown the ability to do the job in games that count), if I were Whaley I would have jumped at the chance to grab Osweiler had he been available this past offseason. Again, most of these guys fail. That's just the NFL. And TT may fail yet too. If the Broncos commit to Osweiler next year, that's hardly an insane move like some other team committing to Mallett would be.

EDIT: by the way, I like Pat White. Getting a bit old now, but I'd bring him in to back up TT any time.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, he could be, if Mallet were smart and not a constant f-up. And calling Osweiler "the next Ryan Mallett" is weirdly akin to calling TT "the next Pat White" or "a right handed Pat White" or something. While I like TT better right now (who wouldn't? he's actually shown the ability to do the job in games that count), if I were Whaley I would have jumped at the chance to grab Osweiler had he been available this past offseason. Again, most of these guys fail. That's just the NFL. And TT may fail yet too. If the Broncos commit to Osweiler next year, that's hardly an insane move like some other team committing to Mallett would be.

EDIT: by the way, I like Pat White. Getting a bit old now, but I'd bring him in to back up TT any time.

He retired.

Well, he could be, if Mallet were smart and not a constant f-up. And calling Osweiler "the next Ryan Mallett" is weirdly akin to calling TT "the next Pat White" or something. While I like TT better right now (who wouldn't? he's actually shown the ability to do the job in games that count), if I were Whaley I would have jumped at the chance to grab Osweiler had he been available this past offseason. Again, most of these guys fail. That's just the NFL. And TT may fail yet too. If the Broncos commit to Osweiler next year, that's hardly an insane move like some other team committing to Mallett would be.

I think there is a direct comparison between Mallet and Osweiller. They both play the same kind of game. They both have the same strengths and weaknesses, although Osweiller is more mobile (it's not like he's very mobile or a good runner or scrambler, he's terrible, he's just more agile than Mallet. There is nothing in either of their games outside of some gorgeous long balls that are a tease that makes me think either will have any kind of successful career. Pat White and TT I don't see the connection to outside of size and running ability.

He retired.

Too bad. Committed a lot of time to baseball, had a really nasty concussion, but now that I check I see that he's now had a kid with the former WVU mascot. Which is either incredibly disturbing or very cool. Or a little of both.

I think there is a direct comparison between Mallet and Osweiller. They both play the same kind of game. They both have the same strengths and weaknesses, although Osweiller is more mobile (it's not like he's very mobile or a good runner or scrambler, he's terrible, he's just more agile than Mallet. There is nothing in either of their games outside of some gorgeous long balls that are a tease that makes me think either will have any kind of successful career. Pat White and TT I don't see the connection to outside of size and running ability.

And the fact that they both had excellent college careers, which seems to be your main argument for why TT is such a better "prospect" than Osweiler.

I've seen more of Mallett than B.O., but I'd have to agree. I have less than zero use for any big gomer/lurch with a big arm unless his name is Big Ben.

I've seen more of Mallett than B.O., but I'd have to agree. I have less than zero use for any big gomer/lurch with a big arm unless his name is Big Ben.

Or Joe Flacco, who is probably the guy Osweiler reminds me most of, and I assume Elway agrees with me ... that's no doubt another reason why Kubiak got the Broncos job, having worked well with Flacco in his offense.

Or Joe Flacco, who is probably the guy Osweiler reminds me most of, and I assume Elway agrees with me ... that's no doubt another reason why Kubiak got the Broncos job, having worked well with Flacco in his offense.

Kubiak also wanted TT though, and I would MUCH rather have TT than BO. If TT was a few inches taller, he would be ideal to me.

Too bad. Committed a lot of time to baseball, had a really nasty concussion, but now that I check I see that he's now had a kid with the former WVU mascot. Which is either incredibly disturbing or very cool. Or a little of both.

And the fact that they both had excellent college careers, which seems to be your main argument for why TT is such a better "prospect" than Osweiler.

95% of draft picks, especially QBs, have great college careers. That's what is so surprising about Osweiller. He was just pretty good. I always think of White being a running QB who could throw a little but much more of a runner than Tyrod. Granted I only saw Tyrod play as a senior but he looked like a great passer. Pat White was never a passer to me. I thought he had zero chance of being an NFL QB.

95% of draft picks, especially QBs, have great college careers. That's what is so surprising about Osweiller. He was just pretty good. I always think of White being a running QB who could throw a little but much more of a runner than Tyrod. Granted I only saw Tyrod play as a senior but he looked like a great passer. Pat White was never a passer to me. I thought he had zero chance of being an NFL QB.

But Pat White was the 44th overall pick, Tyrod the 180th. In retrospect, you're obviously right. But that's the benefit of hindsight. But I'll concede this point -- I'm trying to think of "just pretty good" college QBs in recent years who went on to become good NFL starters, and I'm not really coming up with anyone ... EJ Manuel comes to mind as a "just pretty good" college QB ... so is being a great college QB necessary, but not necessarily sufficient? It's a good question.

Osweiler stinks. If they don't play great defense they are an also ran.

If the Bills can get into the playoffs it means they'd likely have to travel to Indy or Den, neither of which appears that daunting atm.

So ironic that he is benched on the same day he breaks the all time passing yards mark

and sad, wish he could have looked as good as he did before he hurt his leg last year, now he is a shell of himself. Hope he can go out on top but doesn't look good.

It's been amusing watching Broncos fans believe he's waiting in the wings though. That fan base is hilarious. Whatever their front office does - from trades to draft picks - they support with unwavering conviction. It's like they're incapable of critical analysis. Hilarious. (I lived there for years)

just like out fan base of kool-aid drinkers

If only Brady could drop off the cliff so quickly....

But soon. :)

He's gona play till he is 50 :cry:

But he just wasn't very good. He only started one season and was an average QB with a lively arm. Threw a ton of bad balls and bad decisions. A lot of his completions were on these swing passes they used to run (which he was pretty good on but they were still the equivalent of 5 yard passes). He wasn't a great leader or play great in big games or a very good runner or anything. He just had a cannon of an arm and was 6'8" or whatever.

Blaine Gabbert 2.0 "Looks the way you want your QB to Look"

this is what I don't get. Brady and Manning are like the same age. How is Tom still on fire, and Manning totally washed up? WHYY????

Injuries. A neck injury directly impacts the shoulder and that's huge for a QB. I'm surprised Manning has been successful this long after his neck surgery.