Easter in WNY...help!?!

707BillsFan

My wife sprung this on me the other day, telling me she wants to visit our daughter during her Easter break (end of March). She goes to college in Rochester and since I'm always looking for a chance to go back "home," I jumped on the idea and said "YES!!"

Now I'm looking at a way to fill up my week and keep everyone happy. Nothing on my agenda except trying to catch the Sabres/Jets game the day before Easter. Other than that, I'm trying to think of something to do. The end of March is still pretty iffy regarding the weather. Last Thanksgiving we spent a few days in Toronto, not sure if I want to go there again. Don't think I can kill a week in/around Buffalo or Rochester....again. We'll probably come to Buffalo for the game and Easter Sunday.

Other than that, I'm looking for something different. I was thinking of the Falls for a couple days, but we've also done that (many times, except some of the family hasn't seen the falls during winter...if they'll still be frozen then). Anywhere off the beaten path that might be cool? Resorts? Finger Lakes? I'm pretty much a blank slate at this time. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Open to going into Canada, east of Rochester, N of Syracuse, South of BLo/Roc...I'm just stumped at this point.

Letchworth is a good choice. Finger lakes and wine. Can't go wrong there. If it warms enough canalside is an option. Numerous local micro breweries are opening up (hamburg, big ditch, resurgence etc..)

Go to ellicottville and hang out there for a day.

What else are you guys into?

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

The George Eastman House - museum of photography.

Catch a show one night at the Strasenburg Planetarium at the museum & science center.

See what's playing at the Eastman Theatre.

Eat at Nick Tahou's downtown.

Get a burger on a hard roll at Schaller's.

Visit the Memorial Art Gallery.

Go to Dinosaur BBQ, eat.

Check out what's playing at the Little theater.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=things+to+do+in+rochester+ny

I moved out 20+ years ago, but I think these things are all still good.

My wife sprung this on me the other day, telling me she wants to visit our daughter during her Easter break (end of March). She goes to college in Rochester and since I'm always looking for a chance to go back "home," I jumped on the idea and said "YES!!"

Now I'm looking at a way to fill up my week and keep everyone happy. Nothing on my agenda except trying to catch the Sabres/Jets game the day before Easter. Other than that, I'm trying to think of something to do. The end of March is still pretty iffy regarding the weather. Last Thanksgiving we spent a few days in Toronto, not sure if I want to go there again. Don't think I can kill a week in/around Buffalo or Rochester....again. We'll probably come to Buffalo for the game and Easter Sunday.

Other than that, I'm looking for something different. I was thinking of the Falls for a couple days, but we've also done that (many times, except some of the family hasn't seen the falls during winter...if they'll still be frozen then). Anywhere off the beaten path that might be cool? Resorts? Finger Lakes? I'm pretty much a blank slate at this time. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Open to going into Canada, east of Rochester, N of Syracuse, South of BLo/Roc...I'm just stumped at this point.

Spend a day in Ellicottville. Tons of shops, restaurants, brewery, and Holiday Valley ski resort.

Thanks for the replies. I definitely want to hit Letchworth before my daughter is done w/ college (she's my ticket back to the area a few times a year, I'm secretly hoping she stays back there). I'm taking my 70'ish parents w/ me this time around, so I'm not sure this would be the right time to go. They're from Buffalo and we'll have to spend a couple days there to visit w/ family and friends, especially on Easter. Ellicottville looks intriguing. Snow is now a novelty for me and the family, so hanging out there could be nice.

You guys had me at beer. I live in wine country, but we have so many micro-breweries here...I'm in beer heaven amongst the vineyards. I've sampled a few during my last few visits to WNY, quite a few good options.

Nanker, thanks for the list. Those slow days I'm hanging out in ROC looking for something to do, it'll come in handy. I've been wanting to get to the Eastman House for a while, also the theater. Love Dinosaur!

Now I'm looking at a way to fill up my week and keep everyone happy.

Is this a board with people that actually live in Buffalo? Are you kidding? Easter? The day after? DYNGUS DAY!!!! And if you do that, DD is best done on the East Side of the city. Tens of thousands of people all ages there. I'm serious, you cannot pass this up. I go every year, you won't be disappointed

If you do Easter mass at the OLV basilica, the flower display at the South Park Botanical Gardens is fantastic

We fly home Dyngus Day...maybe I can arrange to be there. I did think about staying the extra day. My parents grew up on the East Side, I spent some time there growing up as a kid (attended Corpus Christi). Gotta think about that one. It would be a great experience though.

I was seriously thinking about Ellicottville. I was checking out the slopes, tube run, etc...then I realized. I won't have my snow gear w/ me. No way in hell am I adding that to the luggage to fly across country. Do they have rental gear? I'm sure they do.

Thanks for the replies. I definitely want to hit Letchworth before my daughter is done w/ college (she's my ticket back to the area a few times a year, I'm secretly hoping she stays back there). I'm taking my 70'ish parents w/ me this time around, so I'm not sure this would be the right time to go. They're from Buffalo and we'll have to spend a couple days there to visit w/ family and friends, especially on Easter. Ellicottville looks intriguing. Snow is now a novelty for me and the family, so hanging out there could be nice.

You guys had me at beer. I live in wine country, but we have so many micro-breweries here...I'm in beer heaven amongst the vineyards. I've sampled a few during my last few visits to WNY, quite a few good options.

Nanker, thanks for the list. Those slow days I'm hanging out in ROC looking for something to do, it'll come in handy. I've been wanting to get to the Eastman House for a while, also the theater. Love Dinosaur!

Many breweries have popped up around Buffalo recently, could be cool to do a mini-brewery tour.

Big Ditch Brewing Co.

Flying Bison

Community Beer Works

Resurgence

Pearl Street

Hamburg

Woodcock Brewing

42 North Brewing

We fly home Dyngus Day...maybe I can arrange to be there. I did think about staying the extra day. My parents grew up on the East Side, I spent some time there growing up as a kid (attended Corpus Christi). Gotta think about that one. It would be a great experience though.

I was seriously thinking about Ellicottville. I was checking out the slopes, tube run, etc...then I realized. I won't have my snow gear w/ me. No way in hell am I adding that to the luggage to fly across country. Do they have rental gear? I'm sure they do.

Corpus Christi? Ever go bowling in the basement of the church? I was an alter boy at St. Stan's.

Word of caution - Never, Ever count out cold and snow @ Easter time in Western New York.

Corpus Christi? Ever go bowling in the basement of the church? I was an alter boy at St. Stan's.

St. Stanislovs at Norton and Hudson is it?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever