Monday Night Football is a free swing - be aggressive!!

GunnerBill

For me a win last night was vital in keeping our season alive. Had we lost last night we were done but the win all of a sudden gives the year a different complexion.

After Monday night we will play against 6 teams who currently sit at a combined 20-29. We will need at least 4 of those (if we beat Houston, KC and the Jets as three of them then 9-7 with that conference record would almost certainly get us in) but it is very achievable.

So this coming Monday against New England is a free swing. It is the one game on our schedule remaining that everyone has an "L" next to.

I want to see the Bills play like it is a free swing. Be aggressive both sides of the football. On defense I want to see us get after Brady. I am not usually a big fan of sending loads if wild blitzes at Brady but we have nothing to lose on Monday. Blitz him, blitz him and then blitz him again. Hit him, unsettle him, get him on the floor send 5 and 6 guys frequently. On offense we have to realise that the Patriots are going to score points at some stage so we will need to as well. I am not saying abandon Shady altogether, but let's use Sammy a lot take some shots down the field see how their corners stand up against a healthy Sammy Watkins. Depending on how Tyrod's health is call some designed runs for him.... see if New England can contain him.

Be aggressive. If we were to cause the upset then the play-offs would be staring us right in the eyes.... if we lost we still have our fate in our own hands.... do not roll over for New England and play scared. This should be a confident, fired up Buffalo Bills team - get after it.

Let's go Buffalo!

This is exactly what I want to see.. we sat back last game and Tommy just picked us apart. Put all the chips on our secondary (who seem to now be the strength of the defense) and send guys every play. Offensively, I think Shady should be a huge part of the game, but I want to see him in the passing game. This would be a good time to show screens, not necessarily just dump offs.

Lets just hope Rex doesn't try to out do himself against NE like he has for the past 5 years.

Rex made the incredible intellectual blunder of not pressuring Brady AND not pressing the WR and Gronk, or hitting them at the line, which of course backfired badly when we still didn't cover them, and the defense didn't even know who to cover.

I agree with the OP. Pressure him and also gamble a little with the DBs and safeties.

Great post OP.

I was always under the impression that Rex was all about aggressive defense. I didn't expect this passive approach he's taken. We have the guys who can cover. We need to send more guys after the QB and dare teams to beat us deep. I'm wondering if there's some sort of disconnect between Rex and Dennis Thurman.

Rex's most worrisome quote to me all year was when he was asked about this and said something to the effect of "well, if you press guys, then they beat you deep...what are we supposed to do?". Find your balls, Rex!

Edited by QB Bills

I'd like to see them defend the spots Brady throws to rather than chase the receiver. Blitz Brady. He's going to make a quick throw to his outlet. Make sure we get in the way of those throws.

Similar to what we did in the first half against Fitz. We seemed to do a lot of zone blitzing and should've had two early picks (especially Lawson's drop).

Similar to what we did in the first half against Fitz. We seemed to do a lot of zone blitzing and should've had two early picks (especially Lawson's drop).

I think Lewis being done for the year is a big loss for them, especially for the MNF game. He torched us last game, and there's no way Blount or whoever they pick up is going to do the same. Brady loves those touch wheel routes to RBs matched up with LBs.

I agree with this to an extent. Everyone is expecting a loss for the Bills in this game so they can afford to be aggressive and take chances, if they fail, it was expected anyway. That being said, they need to play smart. Keep their heads in the game. No dumb penalties. No mental mistakes and take advantage of every opportunity to put points on the board. The Jets lost last night because their coach did not manage game situation well. He panicked in the name of aggressiveness. If he had taken the 2 FGs instead of going for it on 4th down, the Jests probably win. I don't want Rex to make this same mistake in the name of aggressiveness.

Our offense is not going to run and gun with Brady. Not going to happen. Our best chance is ball control. Run the ball. Use up clock. Keep Marcia on the bench. Take some shots downfield when appropriate but we cannot afford 3 and outs.

For me a win last night was vital in keeping our season alive. Had we lost last night we were done but the win all of a sudden gives the year a different complexion.

After Monday night we will play against 6 teams who currently sit at a combined 20-29. We will need at least 4 of those (if we beat Houston, KC and the Jets as three of them then 9-7 with that conference record would almost certainly get us in) but it is very achievable.

So this coming Monday against New England is a free swing. It is the one game on our schedule remaining that everyone has an "L" next to.

I want to see the Bills play like it is a free swing. Be aggressive both sides of the football. On defense I want to see us get after Brady. I am not usually a big fan of sending loads if wild blitzes at Brady but we have nothing to lose on Monday. Blitz him, blitz him and then blitz him again. Hit him, unsettle him, get him on the floor send 5 and 6 guys frequently. On offense we have to realise that the Patriots are going to score points at some stage so we will need to as well. I am not saying abandon Shady altogether, but let's use Sammy a lot take some shots down the field see how their corners stand up against a healthy Sammy Watkins. Depending on how Tyrod's health is call some designed runs for him.... see if New England can contain him.

Be aggressive. If we were to cause the upset then the play-offs would be staring us right in the eyes.... if we lost we still have our fate in our own hands.... do not roll over for New England and play scared. This should be a confident, fired up Buffalo Bills team - get after it.

Let's go Buffalo!

And an on side kick to start the game!

Rex made the incredible intellectual blunder of not pressuring Brady AND not pressing the WR and Gronk, or hitting them at the line, which of course backfired badly when we still didn't cover them, and the defense didn't even know who to cover.

I agree with the OP. Pressure him and also gamble a little with the DBs and safeties.

I would not be surprised at all if Rex came out with a totally different game plan this time. He has McK, but we still lack A.Wil. I think we'll see him use the Safeties on more blitzes and use McK or Gilmore on Gronk, leaving Graham to play more single-high. More jamming at the line.

In poker, it's called a freeroll. You're playing with house money, or in this case, the Cheats predestined win. Since the Cheats are expected to win, go for it, pull out all the stops. Turn loose that .25B D-line and make them earn their #$%^ing money. Bodily cavity searches on Marcia and don't stop 'til you get to his teeth. Break Amendola in half, please. And Jerry, if you're going to get Roughing the Passer call, make it a good one and knock Marcia out.