Offensive play calling last night

I was thinking all game "they are really setting up play action" but it never seemed to happen

I also thought that they were setting up the play action but they only ran it a few times. I think Tyrod had no time, but we didn't factor that in. Only one screen I can think of and few crossing patterns or quick designed throws.

They just looked flat out disorganized at times, but then solid at others. I'm not sure if it was the crowd noise or a lack of decisiveness, but it seemed like the play clock was always under 10 seconds when they were breaking the huddle. That has to managed better.

I agree it was painful.

I was thinking all game "they are really setting up play action" but it never seemed to happen

CBF

The setup was good. The play action wasn't. Seemed like anytime they ran PA the Jets were already in the backfield and Taylor didn't have time. Only saw them run it twice and I think they dumped it after they realized it wasn't working.

Edited by The Wiz

The setup was good. The play action wasn't. Seemed like anytime they ran PA the Jets were already in the backfield and Taylor didn't have time.

Agreed its too bad.

I admit that I underestimated the Jets D

Man they are good.

With a solid QB, they could be really scary

That sounds familliar eh?

CBF

Agreed its too bad.

I admit that I underestimated the Jets D

Man they are good.

With a solid QB, they could be really scary

That sounds familliar eh?

CBF

Honestly I think Fitz works great for them and has been solid. Really the INT off of Marshall and the fumble on the KO was what lost them the game. Shady was really the only consistent offensive weapon yesterday.

Edited by The Wiz

The playcalling was ok. The execution was not ok.

That said, I hated the formation they used when trying to run out the clock at the end of the game.

They get a 9yd run on first down before the 2 minute warning.

After the two minute warning, I would've loved to see Tyrod under center and a QB sneak on 2nd down (and again on 3rd if needed) to get the first down and ice the game. If not a sneak, at least have Taylor under center and hand off from there. I hated the 2 runs out of the shotgun formation that both got stuffed. Why start 5yds back when you need less than 1 yard and have 2 tries to get it?

The playcalling was ok. The execution was not ok.

That said, I hated the formation they used when trying to run out the clock at the end of the game.

They get a 9yd run on first down before the 2 minute warning.

After the two minute warning, I would've loved to see Tyrod under center and a QB sneak on 2nd down (and again on 3rd if needed) to get the first down and ice the game. If not a sneak, at least have Taylor under center and hand off from there. I hated the 2 runs out of the shotgun formation that both got stuffed. Why start 5yds back when you need less than 1 yard and have 2 tries to get it?

I still like to call it the Spiller Special. Anytime he was in at shotgun it was going to be a delay.

Overall I thought the play calling was pretty good. They stuck with the run and attacked the edges of the Jets' D instead of banging their heads against the wall vs. the middle.

I had two issues though. The above is one. They need to stop with so many designed runs for him. Let him make plays with his feet from the pocket when things break down but purposely putting him in a position to take so much punishment is something they should avoid.

The second thing is they had too many plays where TT didn't have many/any short options. They did this knowing that the Jets blitz more than any team in the league. TT would end up holding the ball waiting for the play to develop then take the sack or try to make a play with his feet. He still needs to put the ball up and give his guys a chance at making the play vs. man coverage but it would be nice if they have him a hot route short where he could dump it off.

I agree and was puzzled that TT (or Roman) didn't take advantage of the Jets blitz. Don't know if the fault was with TT or Roman but it was a glaring area that NE, for example, will exploit. Man, I hate all thoase 3-and-out series.

I agree and was puzzled that TT (or Roman) didn't take advantage of the Jets blitz. Don't know if the fault was with TT or Roman but it was a glaring area that NE, for example, will exploit. Man, I hate all thoase 3-and-out series.

it reminded me of old times

Well maybe not so old...

CBF

The offensive play calling was horrendous. I don't know what they were thinking. Too many designed runs from Tyrod against the best run defense in the league. Also way too many runs from the shotgun. Not enough downfield passing attempts when our receivers were beating their secondary on a regular basis. That was painful to watch.

McCoy got most of his yardage on those plays

I feel like Roman outsmarts himself sometimes

Something will be working......and Roman will go away from it totally in only what I assume is a "dagger" play

If something is working.....run it till they actually show they can stop it

and

I really dont like to see designed run plays for TT.....he is going to get his when nobody is open.....and when he does that everyone is cleared out covering someone except for whoever is spying the qb which Tyrod can easily beat on a 1 on 1.

When smashmouth is working (and it was last night) just beat the hell out of the opponents defense.......

I feel like Roman outsmarts himself sometimes

Something will be working......and Roman will go away from it totally in only what I assume is a "dagger" play

If something is working.....run it till they actually show they can stop it

and

I really dont like to see designed run plays for TT.....he is going to get his when nobody is open.....and when he does that everyone is cleared out covering someone except for whoever is spying the qb which Tyrod can easily beat on a 1 on 1.

When smashmouth is working (and it was last night) just beat the hell out of the opponents defense.......

Normally agree but the misdirection early in the game where McCoy ran right for big gain.......that was saved for late in the game when needed and it was big

You have to beat that blitz with slants, don't remember any.

I get nervous when I see side line to side line plays against good defenses.......

Interesting set of circumstances that appear to govern using Karlos: Whenever the fancy strikes, put Karlos in the game and have him score, then don't use him for the rest of the game.

Because you have to monitor his touches......another concussion probably ends his season

You have to beat that blitz with slants, don't remember any.

If they are going to blitz like that you HAVE to screen them......