EJ Inactive vs. Jets; Will Remain 2nd QB per Rex

26CornerBlitz

I gotta say, as nice as it is to no longer be anchored to EJ as the entrenched starter, it would be nice to see him go on to a semi-successful NFL career. I kind of feel sorry for him because he seems like such a good dude and has had to endure a humiliating fall down the depth chart and scathing criticisms from fans and critics.

Then I remember that he's a multi-millionaire in his mid 20s who got to be a starting NFL QB and probably had his pick of the finest trim FSU had to offer, and then I don't feel so bad.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep hearing this and it's not really true.

Yeah, he was horrible in the 2nd quarter and if he didn't have those blunders the Bills likely would have won. But the team did have a lead late in the game and couldn't maintain it. That is not on EJ. The D failed at the end. That loss is on a lot of guys, not just EJ. Hell, on EJ's fumble the OL shares some blame. It's a cliche, but it's a team game and you can't put any loss on a single guy. It just doesn't work that way.

Of course, pointing this out will get someone labeled an "EJ apologist" because that's the depth of thought put into most of these discussions.

How is he baggage? The only ones who can't seem to get over it are the fans on this board. EJ is a good kid, doesn't cause distractions and works hard. There is no benefit of cutting him if you're not positive you can improve the position. Perhaps they can, but you don't cut him because he's "baggage."

I saw a stat the other day that stated back up QBs are 5-18 this season. Two of those 5 wins are from Hasselbeck. That means other than him backup QBs are 3-18. It's not so easy finding a backup who can win games for you. If your starting QB goes down you're likely in trouble.

The defense was the unit who actually took the lead and completed the comeback.

Yep, and then they allowed the game winning TD. Putting up points doesn't absolve you from mistakes, just ask EJ.

I don't see allowing 13 points and scoring 7 in today's NFL as anywhere close to a mistake as the ones EJ made. Edited by FireChan

Yep, and then they allowed the game winning TD. Putting up points doesn't absolve you from mistakes, just ask EJ.

So you blame the defense for giving Jax 13 points and they scored 6 of their own, yet absolve EJ for giving Jax 21 points. WOW! Its gone to a new lower level for sure.

Edited by old school

The explanation Rex gave for this week makes sense to me. Short week a guy who had learned this very gameplan before.... they go back to EJ next week.

However, it changes nothing. The cap hit of cutting him this year is minimal and I think the Bills will want to both:

i) bring in one of the dime a dozen vet backups that people keep referring to.

ii) draft a guy somewhere (whether high or mid round).

So EJ I would guess is not on the roster next year. I think he will be on an NFL roster though.

really...you should stop

Why is that? Am I not allowed to express an opinion against what I think of as undue ridicule of EJ?

I will say it again, he's a backup and no threat to Tyrod.

the constant ridicule for a backup QB is mind boggling

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I gotta say, as nice as it is to no longer be anchored to EJ as the entrenched starter, it would be nice to see him go on to a semi-successful NFL career. I kind of feel sorry for him because he seems like such a good dude and has had to endure a humiliating fall down the depth chart and scathing criticisms from fans and critics.

Then I remember that he's a multi-millionaire in his mid 20s who got to be a starting NFL QB and probably had his pick of the finest trim FSU had to offer, and then I don't feel so bad.

lol. Pretty much. I wish him the best... But think he will be a backup elsewhere after this year. Swing and a miss on a QB in the 1st but you move on. Had some good moments as a Bill but looks like it wasn't meant to be. Edited by YoloinOhio

Backup QBs are a dime a dozen and most of them are better than EJ.

Imo

Puleeeeeeze. Put Ej on the cardinals last year in place of the lindley/qb x/qb x pu pu platter and they would be just fine.

We get it. Trust me we do. Ejs the worst qb ever just because. Watch some other teams sometime.

EJ has been bad but we all see what a difference a healthy McCoy, Karlos and Sammy makes. It was 17-14 at half with Sammy against the Bengals. I'm not saying EJ is good but having those guys healthy is a MAJOR difference c

And this. But no ones gonna wanna hear this.

The love affair with this board and EJ Manuel is so mind boggling.

The guy has zero potential, zero future, and will latch on as a backup for a season or two somewhere else after this year, and then be out of the league for good.

1st round QBs put the blinders on

TSW went thru it 10 years ago with JP Losman too

It's like when you get a date with a really hot girl. Then after the first or second date you notice she's a little cray-cray. But it's okay because she's hot and you want it to work out

Then a few more dates and you realize she's more than just a little cray-cray. And high maintenance. But it's okay because she's really hot and you really want it to work out.

So you blame the defense for giving Jax 13 points and they scored 6 of their own, yet absolve EJ for giving Jax 21 points. WOW! Its gone to a new lower level for sure.

This is the problem people have, they dont read or cant comprehend what they have read. Who absolved anybody of anything? Im nit going to repeat myself, try reading what I wrote again.

I don't see allowing 13 points and scoring 7 in today's NFL as anywhere close to a mistake as the ones EJ made.

And I didnt say their mistakes were on par with EJ's. But they contributed to the loss. I know it doesnt play into the narrative that we must have one person to blame for something, but its the way it works in a team game. Ive said in other threads that EJ shoulders the most blame in that game, but shouldering the most blame and "being responsible for the loss" arent the same things.

This is the problem people have, they dont read or cant comprehend what they have read. Who absolved anybody of anything? Im nit going to repeat myself, try reading what I wrote again.

And I didnt say their mistakes were on par with EJ's. But they contributed to the loss. I know it doesnt play into the narrative that we must have one person to blame for something, but its the way it works in a team game. Ive said in other threads that EJ shoulders the most blame in that game, but shouldering the most blame and "being responsible for the loss" arent the same things.

Not to mention that he was directly responsible for 14 points and threw two bomb tds for 14 points.

Gotta pardon old school. He's a 4 star general in the anti Ej army. He once did a tour with firechan and metz in London.

He also said tyrods a poop sandwich too. So who knows.

Because it is a team game, when someone claims a single unit is responsible for the loss, I always assume that means "most responsible." It's an obvious point that everyone else "could've done more." But that has to be taken within reason. Do I expect our defense to hold a team to a net of 7 points? No. Is it reasonable to expect that in the modern NFL? No.

If you mapped it out, EJ is to blame for greater than 50% of that loss. And when one player is invalidating the effort of the other 48, you have a big freaking problem.

I mean, would anyone rational make a big deal out of Eli "contributing to the loss" because he only threw for 6 TD's against the Saints? Or do you say, "yeah I guess he could've scored more, but maybe the defense could've not allowed Brees to throw 6000 yards and 7TD's."

I know which one I agree with.

Edited by FireChan

I typed this for the Orton thread but it got locked so I will say it here, in response to Josh being the backup last week...

This is all conjecture but it's entirely possible that this is all related to previous reports and rumors about EJ. IIRC, the original report that Cassell was going to be the starter before the preseason games was about Roman. The reports throughout training camp and preseason games before TT was named starter were always "some coaches" preferred Cassel to EJ or preferred him as the starter.

Rex, on the other hand, always has effusive praise for EJ, even though he usually builds his guys up.

What if all of this was as simple as this: Rex is more aggressive. Roman is more conservative. It was always Roman who preferred Cassel simply because he thought we had a ton of talent and wanted efficiency over big play ability. So this week, on a no practice week, Roman simply said to Rex, "The Jets are banged up. Fitz, Ivory, Decker, Marshall and Mangold are all hindered. Our defense is getting better. It may rain. This is going to be a low scoring game. Josh knows this game plan better than Tyrod does (which is something Roman said). If Taylor goes down, I don't want to risk turnovers I just want to control the ball. EJ is still our backup but just this game lets go with Josh..."

And Rex just went with it. It's not dissension with Rex or Whaley. It's just a difference of opinion.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Why is that? Am I not allowed to express an opinion against what I think of as undue ridicule of EJ?

I will say it again, he's a backup and no threat to Tyrod.

the constant ridicule for a backup QB is mind boggling

you can express all the opinions you want, but equating Manuel with Dalton is a silly exercise. I bet I can go back & find a game where Losman or Edwards put up decent numbers compared to the opposing QB. That doesn't make either of them an NFL quarterback. You are unwilling to see the flaws in his game or your logic.

He is not a good QB. He will never be a good QB in Buffalo (even as in backup good). I am extremely doubtful that he will be a serviceable backup elsewhere but that is his only hope this ship has sailed the fat lady sang and the bridge is burned. He's a nice guy but a lousy QB (yes, even for a backup he's lousy).

I typed this for the Orton thread but it got locked so I will say it here, in response to Josh being the backup last week...

This is all conjecture but it's entirely possible that this is all related to previous reports and rumors about EJ. IIRC, the original report that Cassell was going to be the starter before the preseason games was about Roman. The reports throughout training camp and preseason games before TT was named starter were always "some coaches" preferred Cassel to EJ or preferred him as the starter.

Rex, on the other hand, always has effusive praise for EJ, even though he usually builds his guys up.

What if all of this was as simple as this: Rex is more aggressive. Roman is more conservative. It was always Roman who preferred Cassel simply because he thought we had a ton of talent and wanted efficiency over big play ability. So this week, on a no practice week, Roman simply said to Rex, "The Jets are banged up. Fitz, Ivory, Decker, Marshall and Mangold are all hindered. Our defense is getting better. It may rain. This is going to be a low scoring game. Josh knows this game plan better than Tyrod does (which is something Roman said). If Taylor goes down, I don't want to risk turnovers I just want to control the ball. EJ is still our backup but just this game lets go with Josh..."

And Rex just went with it. It's not dissension with Rex or Whaley. It's just a difference of opinion.

Are there coaches who want backups who turn it over and can't control the ball?

makes a lot of sense