EJ Inactive vs. Jets; Will Remain 2nd QB per Rex

26CornerBlitz

the guy that has scored 2 or more TD's in 2 losses this season, and outperformed Andy Dalton when he faced the undefeated Bengals.

Yeah, that guy sucks.

He's the backup and not challenging TT for the #1 spot. get over it

Really, it is time to let go. EJ is bad and cost this team at least 1 win. That's not acceptable. Time to move on and find a better backup QB. As Beerball says backup QBs are a dime a dozen and many of them are better than EJ.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the guy that has scored 2 or more TD's in 2 losses this season, and outperformed Andy Dalton when he faced the undefeated Bengals.

Yeah, that guy sucks.

You must not have watched that game then . Dalton had a much higher qb rating and YPA compared to EJ.

Yeah, that guy sucks.

He has 3 TDs, 3INTs and a fumble returned for a TD. He has 4 TDs and 4 turnovers. That is 2 of each for each start. EJ's QBR is 35.25 and rating is 78.5. If he had enough attempts to qualify those numbers would put him at 31st (of 33 eligible) and tied for 29th (of 30) respectively. That is as bad as anyone in the league.

There is no reason to defend or trash the guy any longer. It is what it is. He can't play in this league, certainly not for this team. It's in everyone's best interest if the page is turned. It's best for the Bills, for EJ and for the fans. He seems like a nice guy and a hard worker but is a non-factor to this organization moving forward. EJ and the Bills are an unhealthy relationship. You may think that you are both in love and scared to be apart but once the plug is pulled you both realize it was for the best.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

He has 3 TDs, 3INTs and a fumble returned for a TD. He has 4 TDs and 4 turnovers. That is 2 of each for each start. EJ's QBR is 35.25 and rating is 78.5. If he had enough attempts to qualify those numbers would put him at 31st (of 33 eligible) and tied for 29th (of 30) respectively. That is as bad as anyone in the league.

There is no reason to defend or trash the guy any longer. It is what it is. He can't play in this league, certainly not for this team. It's in everyone's best interest of the page is turned. It's best for the Bills, for EJ and for the fans. He seems like a nice guy and a hard worker but is a non-factor to this organization moving forward. EJ and the Bills are an unhealthy relationship. You may think that you are both in love and scared to be apart but once the plug is pulled you both realize it was for the best.

Basically

And this is coming from a guy that really wanted EJ to be the guy

There is no reason to defend or trash the guy any longer. It is what it is. He can't play in this league, certainly not for this team. It's in everyone's best interest of the page is turned. It's best for the Bills, for EJ and for the fans. He seems like a nice guy and a hard worker but is a non-factor to this organization moving forward. EJ and the Bills are an unhealthy relationship. You may think that you are both in love and scared to be apart but once the plug is pulled you both realize it was for the best.

My bluntness here isn't meant in a snarky way but 31 and 29 are bad but if you are looking at backups that run that number to somewhere between 64 and 96 players--it's not a good argument that he has no spot in the league. Bad starter- sure.

If comparing him to an average (to even below average) backup I just don't see how you can say he is so far below that he doesn't belong in the discussion.

My bluntness here isn't meant in a snarky way but 31 and 29 are bad but if you are looking at backups that run that number to somewhere between 64 and 96 players--it's not a good argument that he has no spot in the league. Bad starter- sure.

If comparing him to an average (to even below average) backup I just don't see how you can say he is so far below that he doesn't belong in the discussion.

That doesn't factor in other backups that don't have enough to qualify either (i.e. Hasselbeck, Landry Jones, Cassel, etc..). I believe that you need an average of 14 attempts per game to be eligible. If we were to factor in everyone that has played I think that he would be significantly lower.

Im not sure if that makes sense or not but basically if you add in Hasselbeck (for example) EJ goes to 32 of 34 and tied for 30 of 31. EJ isn't 31 of 33 overall he is 31 of 33 eligible (Ej doesn't currently have enough reps to be eligible). I just plugged him in where he would have slotted.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

That doesn't factor in other backups that don't have enough to qualify either (i.e. Hasselbeck, Landry Jones, Cassel, etc..). I believe that you need an average of 14 attempts per game to be eligible. If we were to factor in everyone that has played I think that he would be significantly lower.

Im not sure if that makes sense or not but basically if you add in Hasselbeck (for example) EJ goes to 32 of 34 and tied for 30 of 31. EJ isn't 31 of 33 overall he is 31 of 33 eligible (Ej doesn't currently have enough reps to be eligible). I just plugged him in where he would have slotted.

It does make sense, and I had that in my head while commenting....but if you are comparing him to guys like Landry jones, Ryan mallet, Charlie whitehurst, cassel etc.... Do you think he remains in the bottom 2-3 guys of the full list of qbs in the league (QBR aside, just ability since many have few to no snaps)? Surely not every employed qb slots ahead of him that way, and your argument was out of the league, not out of the top 35, 40, or whatever

Edited by NoSaint

Yeah, that guy sucks.

really...you should stop

And this is coming from a guy that really wanted EJ to be the guy

We all did. Might have hated the pick, but, root for the uni. Nobody ( who is a fan ofthe team) wants to see a player, especially a first round QB fail.

It does make sense, and I had that in my head while commenting....but if you are comparing him to guys like Landry jones, Ryan mallet, Charlie whitehurst, cassel etc.... Do you think he remains in the bottom 2-3 guys of the full list of qbs in the league (QBR aside, just ability since many have few to no snaps)? Surely not every employed qb slots ahead of him that way, and your argument was out of the league, not out of the top 35, 40, or whatever

I don't have the energy (or desire) to plug in everyone but I would imagine that he would be in the bottom tier of backups. I looked up a few that have played some this year: Landry Jones (95.7 rating, 45.14 QBR), Mallett (64.6 rating, 51.5 QBR), Hasselbeck (95 rating, 77.6 QBR), Vick (79.8 rating, 31.78 QBR), Manziel (84.5 rating, 60.59 QBR), Cassel (78.1 rating, 81.2 QBR), and Weeden (92.2 rating, 58.73 QBR).

I guess that I am kind of over worrying about his talent and focused on the production. Lots of guys have talent that they can't harness (Leaf, Russell, Akili Smith, David Carr, Tim Couch, etc..). His game has flaws that make him more of a liability than those other guys. You want your backup to be reliable. I will say this, I would be really, really surprised if he opened next year as someone's #2. I think that someone will make him a reclamation project because of the natural skills but I can't see anyone relying on him to help their team next season.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I don't have the energy (or desire) to plug in everyone but I would imagine that he would be in the bottom tier of backups. I looked up a few that have played some this year: Landry Jones (95.7 rating, 45.14 QBR), Mallett (64.6 rating, 51.5 QBR), Hasselbeck (95 rating, 77.6 QBR), Vick (79.8 rating, 31.78 QBR), Manziel (84.5 rating, 60.59 QBR), Cassel (78.1 rating, 81.2 QBR), and Weeden (92.2 rating, 58.73 QBR).

I guess that I am kind of over worrying about his talent and focused on the production. Lots of guys have talent that they can't harness (Leaf, Russell, Akili Smith, David Carr, Tim Couch, etc..). His game has flaws that make him more of a liability than those other guys. You want your backup to be reliable. I will say this, I would be really, really surprised if he opened next year as someone's #2. I think that someone will make him a reclamation project because of the natural skills but I can't see anyone relying on him to help their team next season.

His traditional qb rating is higher than some of the very guys you listed, just for perspective. If sticking solely to espns QBR (which I'm not arguing is bad) he's higher than Vick on that list.

I'd not really be put off by below average backup as the argument (at that point im not arguing 45th vs 56th for average vs below average) but I don't know if I can get on board with a doesn't belong in the league kind of statement

Edited by NoSaint

But you do realize that EJ doesn't have the ability to play consistently decent football & it's time to move on?

I already said in this thread that they should trade him. On Astro's November needs thread I said the Bills should draft a QB they like (Rex and Whaley) to develop as a back-up to Tryod. If EJ has to step on the field again for whatever cause that may be I will support him, hoping that he somehow can get better.

BTW, all back-up QBs are inconsistent, otherwise they would be starting somewhere.

There is no reason to defend or trash the guy any longer. It is what it is. He can't play in this league, certainly not for this team. It's in everyone's best interest if the page is turned. It's best for the Bills, for EJ and for the fans. He seems like a nice guy and a hard worker but is a non-factor to this organization moving forward. EJ and the Bills are an unhealthy relationship. You may think that you are both in love and scared to be apart but once the plug is pulled you both realize it was for the best.

Agree 100%

This was the point I was trying to make but you put it much better than I did.

EJ being here isn't good for anyone, including EJ.

The team can easily replace what he brings to the table as a backup without having the baggage of a 1st round pick sitting on the bench.

Also, nice guy or not EJ has to be really angry and probably wants out so he can prove himself somewhere else. I doubt he will be any good somewhere else but no athlete thinks that way.

Also, nice guy or not EJ has to be really angry and probably wants out so he can prove himself somewhere else. I doubt he will be any good somewhere else but no athlete thinks that way.

Deep down EJ knows damn well he's played terrible and cannot play any better.

EJ is bad and cost this team at least 1 win.

I keep hearing this and it's not really true.

Yeah, he was horrible in the 2nd quarter and if he didn't have those blunders the Bills likely would have won. But the team did have a lead late in the game and couldn't maintain it. That is not on EJ. The D failed at the end. That loss is on a lot of guys, not just EJ. Hell, on EJ's fumble the OL shares some blame. It's a cliche, but it's a team game and you can't put any loss on a single guy. It just doesn't work that way.

Of course, pointing this out will get someone labeled an "EJ apologist" because that's the depth of thought put into most of these discussions.

The team can easily replace what he brings to the table as a backup without having the baggage of a 1st round pick sitting on the bench.

How is he baggage? The only ones who can't seem to get over it are the fans on this board. EJ is a good kid, doesn't cause distractions and works hard. There is no benefit of cutting him if you're not positive you can improve the position. Perhaps they can, but you don't cut him because he's "baggage."

I saw a stat the other day that stated back up QBs are 5-18 this season. Two of those 5 wins are from Hasselbeck. That means other than him backup QBs are 3-18. It's not so easy finding a backup who can win games for you. If your starting QB goes down you're likely in trouble.