The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

by Bethany Mandel

The other day at the playground I had one of the more uncomfortable conversations in recent memory. I was talking with a conservative-leaning mom friend and her liberal 83-year old grandmother (“Bubby”) about the “transgender movement.” Bubby had a simple question for me, and one I get a lot when I express dismay about the movement: “Why do you care what someone else calls you?” My answer, to quote Erick Erickson, “We will be made to care.”

It’s not enough to live and let live; those in the social justice Left want to force you to accept and embrace whatever is on their agenda, which has shifted from gay marriage (which I was a long-time supporter of) to the idea that we can decide to be whatever gender we feel, with no connection to our DNA, biology, anatomy, etc.

Bubby asked me how it differed from gay marriage, in that we just should accept people for whatever they are. But being gay or lesbian isn’t about who or what you are; it’s about who you are sexually attracted to; it’s entirely based on feelings. But gender isn’t a social construct, no matter how much we’re told it is. Our genetics, our bone structure, our brains, our biology determine if we are a man or if we are a woman.

Bubby then asked what exactly it means to be “made to care” and what that looks like. And hence, the uncomfortable conversation. Her granddaughter mentioned “Jessica Yaniv” a transgender activist in Canada targeting immigrant beauticians and charging discrimination when they won’t offer their services. Yaniv asked for genital waxing, and even though Yaniv claims to be a woman, biology says otherwise. Yaniv has a case for discrimination, and it could mean that women in the beauty industry who are only comfortable doing a bikini wax on a woman could be forced to handle the genitalia of biological men alone in treatment rooms.

What could go wrong?

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 1

NO COINCIDENCE THAT WESTERN CIVILIZATION PRODUCED THE SCIENTIFIC REVOLUTION:

Scan a who’s who of Europe’s explosion of scientific inquiry and it becomes clear that two factors united them: Their location and their faith.

So, if Western Civ and Christianity are lost, can science be far behind? Or, to put it another way, can science survive multiculturalism and identity politics, which are antithetical to Christianity’s enduring emphasis on the individual?

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

NO COINCIDENCE THAT WESTERN CIVILIZATION PRODUCED THE SCIENTIFIC REVOLUTION:

Scan a who’s who of Europe’s explosion of scientific inquiry and it becomes clear that two factors united them: Their location and their faith.

So, if Western Civ and Christianity are lost, can science be far behind? Or, to put it another way, can science survive multiculturalism and identity politics, which are antithetical to Christianity’s enduring emphasis on the individual?

"The scientific revolution happened because of Medieval Christianity; let me prove it by listing a bunch of post-Reformation scientists."

That is the stupidest ***** thing I'll read all day, unless I decide to slum it and read one of @Tiberius's posts.

34 minutes ago, B-Man said:

We are free to ask questions

stating an opinion bluntly gets you into hot water

But spectrummy kids tend to scrutinize the person with them and say whatever they have surmised 

29 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

"The scientific revolution happened because of Medieval Christianity; let me prove it by listing a bunch of post-Reformation scientists."

That is the stupidest ***** thing I'll read all day, unless I decide to slum it and read one of @Tiberius's posts.

I will ignore your insults and cheer your move back to rational thought here. We are still under the cloud of pre-modern thought, the idea of knowledge through faith, which so held back western thought for two thousand years. The Christians killed Hypatia! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypatia

As I was driving yesterday I was listening to some right wing religious guy who was basically arguing that you can only find the truth by accepting the Christian god. Understanding through faith or belief, St. Augustine's doctrine. The scientific revolution had to fight against this and some ended up dead because of it. Galileo's house arrest for doing some seriously awesome science is only one example. Did you know he was the first to figure out how to tell the longitude of a position by using the moons of Jupiter? It wasn't very easy to use though and they had to weight for a better clock to do better. 

If I was a Conservative, I'd be pointing out how capitalism pushed the new science forward. The discoveries, the need for better instruments to navigate, better maps, more reliable calendar, better number system, math like geometry which changed the world like nothing else.

28 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/sarah-silverman-fired-movie-blackface-1202165085/

Normally this type of thing would bother me, but there's something nice about these azzholes being held to their own standards.

Some good quotes in here.

“I recently was going to do a movie, a sweet part, then at 11pm the night before they fired me because they saw a picture of me in blackface from that episode,” Silverman said. “I didn’t fight it. They hired someone else who is wonderful but who has never stuck their neck out. It was so disheartening. It just made me real, real sad, because I really kind of devoted my life to making it right.”

So now wearing black face is "sticking our neck out"?  OK.

peaking to Simmons, Silverman said “it’s really scary” that one regretful mistake from someone’s past is enough to derail someone’s career even if said person has worked hard to learn and grow from the error.

Hopefully she remembers this when she is thinking of lambasting someone for past actions 15+ years ago..

7 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Some good quotes in here.

So now wearing black face is "sticking our neck out"?  OK.

Hopefully she remembers this when she is thinking of lambasting someone for past actions 15+ years ago..

It's hilarious. She's legitimately shocked that her relentless dedication to being an anti-Trump lib didn't protect her.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall
  • Like (+1) 1

ADJUST NEWSPEAK DICTIONARIES ACCORDINGLY: IMDb Alters Policy on Publication of Birth Names.

IMDb has revised its birth name policy and will allow industry professionals to remove their birth names in response to feedback from transgender customers and other entertainment industry leaders.

The issue arose in June after a coalition of national LGBTQ groups objected to IMDB’s continued publication of the birth names of transgender performers and people in the entertainment industry without their consent — a practice commonly called “dead-naming.” An IMDb spokesperson revealed the altered policy on Monday.

“IMDb now permits the removal of birth names if the birth name is not broadly publicly known and the person no longer voluntarily uses their birth name,” the spokesperson said.

“To remove a birth name either the person concerned or their professional industry representative simply needs to contact IMDb’s customer support staff to request a birth name removal,” the spokesperson added. “Once the IMDb team determines that an individual’s birth name should be removed — subject to this updated process — we will review and remove every occurrence of their birth name within their biographical page on IMDb.”

You will be made to care. On the other hand, give the IMDB credit for not going full Orwell:

The IMDb spokesperson also said for birth name removal requests pertaining to titles in which a person was credited on-screen as their birth name, their credited name will remain listed in the credits section of applicable IMDb name and title pages in parentheses.

“This is in order to continue providing IMDb’s hundreds of millions of customers worldwide with comprehensive information about film and TV credits, thereby preserving the factual historical record by accurately reflecting what is listed on-screen,” the spokesperson said.

And of course, the inevitable response: “SAG-AFTRA President Gabrielle Carteris said Tuesday that the new policy does not go far enough.”

And the left’s culture war marches onward. As Peggy Noonan asked last month, “What Were Robespierre’s Pronouns?

On 8/12/2019 at 12:02 PM, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/sarah-silverman-fired-movie-blackface-1202165085/

Normally this type of thing would bother me, but there's something nice about these azzholes being held to their own standards.

She's quoted as saying:  "It just made me real, real sad, because I really kind of devoted my life to making it right.”

Again, I'll say it:  some of these celebrities are the softest, most fragile human beings in the world.  She wore blackface in a supposedly edgy skit that maybe 11 people saw.  She has devoted her life to making it right, presumably by NOT donning blackface makeup again, and what--starting an anti-blackface foundation?  Is she going to schools to preach the evils of blackface?  Does she attend and protest blackface conventions?  Has she reached out to crayola to include warnings on crayon boxes? 

She shouldn't have gotten the part because she's a moron.  And, by her standards, she should be happy that she didn't get the part---her messaging and dedication to the cause since 2008 has clearly made a difference.  

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Hedge said:

"I'm sorry that your biology is oppressing you and not allowing you to steal a medal from the women." How's that?

it's about time that somebody had the balls to say, "sorry, you got balls.. no can do".

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hedge said:

"I'm sorry that your biology is oppressing you and not allowing you to steal a medal from the women." How's that?

It's about damn time some sports authority grew a spine and stood up to these "my gender is whatever I feel like at the moment" lunatics.

• Thank you (+1) 1