The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary Changes Definition Of ‘Assault Rifle’ After Parkland Shooting.

The entry for “assault rifle,” which was updated March 31, 2018, reads as follows:

noun: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire; also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire

After 17 people were shot and killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in February, activists have been using the tragic events to make the sale of so-called “assault weapons” illegal.

An Internet archive search shows the Merriam-Webster entry for “assault rifle” appears to be different now than it was before the shooting.

Blurring definitions is always intended to blur people’s thinking.

6 hours ago, garybusey said:

I agree! See Professor Chaos and his epic diatribe about the definition of "store" for proof.

So... have you come up with an original thought yet? I mean, failing at using other people's weak insults is cute and all, but it's time to graduate from the high chair to the kid's table.

14 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

So... have you come up with an original thought yet? I mean, failing at using other people's weak insults is cute and all, but it's time to graduate from the high chair to the kid's table.

Koko wiser than Solomon and stronger than Thor,

slings arrows at Clintons like a hunter strikes a boar.

Of course he's never a hypocrite,

he's always full of wit,

yet lacks the knowledge to define the word store

1 hour ago, garybusey said:

Koko wiser than Solomon and stronger than Thor,

slings arrows at Clintons like a hunter strikes a boar.

Of course he's never a hypocrite,

he's always full of wit,

yet lacks the knowledge to define the word store

The !@#$ is this?  Is that supposed to be a limerick?

8 hours ago, DC Tom said:

The !@#$ is this?  Is that supposed to be a limerick?

Which former expert at sniping from the balcony

is now an expert on message board poetry?

It's DC Tom,

he dropped the snipe bomb!

Without even mentioning Hillary.

2 hours ago, garybusey said:

Which former expert at sniping from the balcony

is now an expert on message board poetry?

It's DC Tom,

he dropped the snipe bomb!

Without even mentioning Hillary.

We know you're a halfwit and all...but I really have to wonder, have you considered trying the other half?

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Azalin said:

Given how things have been on college campuses lately, this isn't too terribly surprising:

"Christian privilege" 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/03/prestigious-university-hosting-student-training-seminar-on-how-to-combat-christian-privilege-in-america.html

Didn't read the article, did you?  Not just Christian Privilege.  White Christian Privilege.  

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Didn't read the article, did you?  Not just Christian Privilege.  White Christian Privilege.  

Oh, I read it all the way through. I've seen so much pissing and moaning about White Privilege lately that I'm no longer surprised or offended by it.

4 minutes ago, Azalin said:

Oh, I read it all the way through. I've seen so much pissing and moaning about White Privilege lately that I'm no longer surprised or offended by it.

Wonder if I could teach a class at GWU if I pitched them something thoroughly ridiculous like "Middle Toe Longest privilege...White Middle Toe Longest privilege."

3 minutes ago, garybusey said:

It's okay to admit you're privileged!

I freely admit it.  I'm not you.

2 hours ago, garybusey said:

It's okay to admit you're privileged!

Privileged? I'm superior.

You'd know that by now if you weren't so damned inferior.

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Wonder if I could teach a class at GWU if I pitched them something thoroughly ridiculous like "Middle Toe Longest privilege...White Middle Toe Longest privilege."

We laugh about it now, but just give it a few years......

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Azalin said:

Privileged? I'm superior.

You'd know that by now if you weren't so damned inferior.

We laugh about it now, but just give it a few years......

Was just out shopping, headed towards the escalator the same time as an older black couple.  They stopped to let me get on first.

White privilege rocks!

• Haha (+1) 2

On 4/2/2018 at 10:39 AM, B-Man said:

noun: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire; also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire

So does it have automatic capability or not? I'm confused.

8 hours ago, Azalin said:

To me the worst part of this is the children are listening. I have personally heard minority children say they can't make it because they are not "privileged". I think this is going to be a self fulfilling prophecy. Seems we should be telling children the opposite.

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

The scary part is any weapon can be easily altered to be automatic. 

Not now that butt stocks are illegal.

Edited by reddogblitz