The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

THE POLITICAL SUICIDE OF THE LIBERALS:

“Earlier this year, I noticed something in China that really surprised me. I realized I felt more comfortable discussing controversial ideas in Beijing than in San Francisco. .

That showed me just how bad things have become, and how much things have changed since I first got started here in 2005.

It seems easier to accidentally speak heresies in San Francisco every year. Debating a controversial idea, even if you 95% agree with the consensus side, seems ill-advised.”

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

THE POLITICAL SUICIDE OF THE LIBERALS:

“Earlier this year, I noticed something in China that really surprised me. I realized I felt more comfortable discussing controversial ideas in Beijing than in San Francisco. .

That showed me just how bad things have become, and how much things have changed since I first got started here in 2005.

It seems easier to accidentally speak heresies in San Francisco every year. Debating a controversial idea, even if you 95% agree with the consensus side, seems ill-advised.”

" Political correctness often comes from a good place—I think we should all be willing to make accommodations to treat others well.  But too often it ends up being used as a club for something orthogonal to protecting actual victims.  The best ideas are barely possible to express at all, and if you’re constantly thinking about how everything you say might be misinterpreted, you won’t let the best ideas get past the fragment stage. "

That just makes too much sense.

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, B-Man said:

In her defense, no one in this country should be required to demonstrate their papers are in order.

58 minutes ago, B-Man said:

“The clothing, makeup, posing and editing used in the southern lady images work together to achieve a hyperfeminine gender performance that differs significantly from the images of women in the other selfies,”

You know who else does this?  Drag queens.  

So the transgendered perpetuate cisgender roles.  THAT'S how retarded this whole topic is.

14 minutes ago, Azalin said:

I was surprised to read that the ACLU was okay with that practice.

I'm not certain the ACLU's okay with it, as much as they recognize the fact that it's within CBP's legal authority to do so.  They certainly seem to fight it enough otherwise.

Same sort of point I keep hammering about immigration law: you're never going to reform the law if you refuse to recognize that people who violate the law are in fact engaged in illegal activity.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Same sort of point I keep hammering about immigration law: you're never going to reform the law if you refuse to recognize that people who violate the law are in fact engaged in illegal activity.

Too many people are either unable or unwilling to look at the issue as one of legality, instead opting for the emotional, ideologically driven accusations of racism. That approach in addressing issues has become far worse across the board during my life time. It's all about emotion rather than intellect.

4 minutes ago, Azalin said:

Too many people are either unable or unwilling to look at the issue as one of legality, instead opting for the emotional, ideologically driven accusations of racism. That approach in addressing issues has become far worse across the board during my life time. It's all about emotion rather than intellect.

Or, worse, they're unwilling to look at the issue as one of legislation.  

I've had far too many conversations with people about this issue and others (DACA, the Paris Accords, Title IX) where I actually hear that these issues are so urgent that we can't wait for legislative fixes, but we need to elect strong leaders who will act to change the law to what's right.

Not realizing that that is pretty much the exact rationalization used to justify the rise of fascism in the '20s and '30s.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Or, worse, they're unwilling to look at the issue as one of legislation.  

I've had far too many conversations with people about this issue and others (DACA, the Paris Accords, Title IX) where I actually hear that these issues are so urgent that we can't wait for legislative fixes, but we need to elect strong leaders who will act to change the law to what's right.

Not realizing that that is pretty much the exact rationalization used to justify the rise of fascism in the '20s and '30s.

No surprise, since we've seen over and over and over that too many people simply do not know what fascism actually is. They don't see any parallel between then and now. It's too easy to emote rather than to think, and history is largely ignored because too many think it's just too damned boring. Try to explain to them, and you're called racist, or that you're blinded by your white privilege, or even worse, called a Trump supporter, literally the worst thing in their minds that they could ever call you.

It doesn't inspire much in the way of optimism, does it?

48 minutes ago, Azalin said:

No surprise, since we've seen over and over and over that too many people simply do not know what fascism actually is. They don't see any parallel between then and now. It's too easy to emote rather than to think, and history is largely ignored because too many think it's just too damned boring. Try to explain to them, and you're called racist, or that you're blinded by your white privilege, or even worse, called a Trump supporter, literally the worst thing in their minds that they could ever call you.

Hence their calls to criminalize/pathologize things that run counter to their belief system.  If they can manage that, they don't have to worry about "electoral consequences" of vesting the executive with unlimited power, because the people being trod upon will always be those they oppose ideologically.

Hence the abject horror they feel when faced with the Trump Presidency:  they spent eight years working to vest the Office with fiat powers with the expectation of a Clinton coronation granting them another eight years of the same, and changing demographics and an acceptance of normalcy making it a permanent state of affairs.

When President Trump won they found themselves faced with the unthinkable:  someone who didn't necessarily agree with them vested with all the powers they intended to hand to Hillary Clinton.

The rub is that they don't believe the vesting of powers is a wrong.  They are supporters of a benevolent leftist monarchy with no interest in limited government. They are pro-dictatorship as long as the dictatorship views them favorably, which is why they view President Trump as dangerous.

We're well past the point for a simple "lack of optimism".  We're at a point in our history where there is significant disagreement not simply about the proper role of government in our lives and the policies there of, but about self-determination and republican principals of governance themselves, and whether or not we should live under a functional monarchy.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

1 hour ago, Azalin said:

History is misunderstood, because most people don't read anything longer than a Facebook post.

Hell, people think I'm a Nazi because I have Mein Kampf on my bookshelf.  No...I read Mein Kampf to learn about fascism, not because I believe in fascism.  That I read it is how I know those people are fascists.

9 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

History is misunderstood, because most people don't read anything longer than a Facebook post.

Hell, people think I'm a Nazi because I have Mein Kampf on my bookshelf.  No...I read Mein Kampf to learn about fascism, not because I believe in fascism.  That I read it is how I know those people are fascists.

Have you tried explaining the difference to them in 140 characters or less?

2 hours ago, Azalin said:

I just ordered this book with some money I got at xmas:

https://www.amazon.com/Strange-Death-Europe-Immigration-Identity/dp/1472942248

I think we suffer the same syndrome here, only with Central Americans.

SOCIAL JUSTICE MEDIA: Twitter Suspends Mohammad Cartoonist Bosch Fawstin.

“Yet those who threatened to KILL Fawstin are not banned.”

Bosch would have been treated better if he had threatened to cut somebody’s head off instead of drawing a cartoon

because wrongthink by the wrong people is worse than violence or threats of violence from the right people.

Profs blame 'masculine' ideals for lack of women in STEM

Further, the professors contend that the time-consuming nature of STEM coursework also inhibits female success, since a tough course load reinforces “the masculine ideal of working an unlimited number of hours based on the unencumbered male body.”

:lol:  Women are physically incapable of learning science and math.  This is what feminism has come to.