The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

17 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

She's so well known as a cultural icon that not knowing who she is, is essentially an admission that you're likely not very well informed about anything at all unless you're some sort of savant.

She's won an Emmy, ten Grammys, 19 American Music Awards, 21 Billboard Music Awards, and dozens awards exclusive to country music.  She's hosted Saturday Night Live, has had acting roles on network television, had a very public dust up with Kanye West (who you've also probably never heard of) which was covered by ever single news organization on the planet.  She's a spokesmodel for Covergirl, and a very generous philanthropist. 

In short, she's all over every single medium we use to communicate, and knowledge of her is virtually unavoidable if you participate in the world in any meaningful way.  Your story isn't believable.

No, I'm just that out of it I guess.

I couldn't care less about Grammies or AMA or BMAs....

I don't care about SNL, I may have seen her on TV, I'm not all that knowing about Kanye (not a fan of his music)

I'm kind of in the mix of politics and sports and TV and other news but for $1,000,000 right now I could not give you anything she has done.

18 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

And she's got a very nice set of funbags.

Okay, on that note I'll educate me.

13 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

And she's got a very nice set of funbags.

Fake funbags.  But, great legs.

45 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i dropped out of Top 40 stuff around 1986.

So did I...........But, this would be like somebody not knowing who Madonna is in 1986.  My mother didn't know what songs she sang, and was out of top 40 before there was a top 40, but she knew who Madonna was. 

23 hours ago, B-Man said:

:lol:.....Taylor, Stand and be counted so we can criticize and intimidate accordingly!

The Liberal Cult in Action

No sooner do I note yesterday that GQ magazine has consistently disgraced itself with its choice of cover honorees (culminating in naming Colin Kaepernick its “Citizen of the Year”) than Marie Claire decided to say “Hold my beer” and offer up this tweet:

Swift-Tweet.jpeg

Now, I do not follow Taylor Swift at all, and couldn’t pick one of her tunes out of a police lineup. But I know that she is phenomenally successful, and as such the Cult of Liberalism is demanding that she throw in with the rest of the celebrity mob on behalf of liberalism, or “explain” why she didn’t. I think conformity with liberalism is in all of their union contracts. I guess the left thinks if Swift had come out forcefully against Trump (which would give a whole new meaning to Swift-boating), it would have swayed some of those dumb white voters in Wisconsin or something.

Needless to say, this ham-handedness unleashed a torrent of sarcastic abuse directed at Marie Claire and the Cult of the Left: (Multiple examples at the Link)

I HATE this stuff.  Like Michael Jordan in the 90s, and others - being called out for not being political.  And, if they were to come out politically - and were on the other said from Marie Clare, etc. - they would get destroyed for that. 

The part that is more surprising is all these entertainers and companies - brands - taking sides and pissing off half their potential customers. 

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

so happy to declare I have no idea who Taylor Swift is or know anything about her career at all

I call bull ****. 

1 hour ago, bbb said:

Understood.  More the Lena Dunham type:

15115143614_f14a158d3b_o-jpg.170997

Is that really who Lena Dunham is?!?  Got that truck needs to run that thing over. That shebeast is nasty

23 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I call bull ****. 

Is that really who Lena Dunham is?!?  Got that truck needs to run that thing over. That shebeast is nasty

***WARNING DO NOT ACTUALLY DO WHAT I"M ABOUT TO SUGGEST***

If you think that's bad, Google Lena Dunham's mermaid picture

***YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED NOT TO DO WHAT I SUGGESTED***

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

***WARNING DO NOT ACTUALLY DO WHAT I"M ABOUT TO SUGGEST***

If you think that's bad, Google Lena Dunham's mermaid picture

***YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED NOT TO DO WHAT I SUGGESTED***

Oh yeah, I remember that. It was so disgusting to see I can actually taste it... It was literally the taste of sea salt water, the bottom of a shoe, bacon anus, and just a whole lot of disgusting !@#$ing pig. I thought you might have been dumped because she had been talking on Howard Stern about you can't eat anymore now that Trump is president

26 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I call bull ****. 

Ha! I can just imagine you playing some sweet Taylor Swift for her as the two of you climb to the hay loft.

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Ha! I can just imagine you playing some sweet Taylor Swift for her as the two of you climb to the hay loft.

You mean, as I always her to The Barn Loft. Though I could just use the loader with forks... But her fat ass probably just needs a bucket

The Fragile Generation

One day last year, a citizen on a prairie path in the Chicago suburb of Elmhurst came upon a teen boy chopping wood. Not a body. Just some already-fallen branches. Nonetheless, the onlooker called the cops.

Officers interrogated the boy, who said he was trying to build a fort for himself and his friends. A local news site reports the police then "took the tools for safekeeping to be returned to the boy's parents."

Elsewhere in America, preschoolers at the Learning Collaborative in Charlotte, North Carolina, were thrilled to receive a set of gently used playground equipment. But the kids soon found out they would not be allowed to use it, because it was resting on grass, not wood chips. "It's a safety issue," explained a day care spokeswoman. Playing on grass is against local regulations.

And then there was the query that ran in Parents magazine a few years back: "Your child's old enough to stay home briefly, and often does. But is it okay to leave her and her playmate home while you dash to the dry cleaner?" Absolutely not, the magazine averred: "Take the kids with you, or save your errand for another time." After all, "you want to make sure that no one's feelings get too hurt if there's a squabble."

The principle here is simple: This generation of kids must be protected like none other. They can't use tools, they can't play on grass, and they certainly can't be expected to work through a spat with a friend.

And this, it could be argued, is why we have "safe spaces" on college campuses and millennials missing adult milestones today. We told a generation of kids that they can never be too safe—and they believed us.

OUT100: Chelsea Manning (@xychelsea), Newsmaker of the Year #ICYMI http://bit.ly/2zmiTqz 

09620c2babacab33e44396b823bcf4ea.jpg.............Convicted of treason. Get better role models.

I mean... there was a gay cop who saved members of Congress from what could of been the largest political assassination of a century, but that wasn't really "news-y"

Edited by B-Man

On 11/18/2017 at 9:05 AM, BillsFanNC said:

The principle here is simple: This generation of kids must be protected like none other. They can't use tools, they can't play on grass, and they certainly can't be expected to work through a spat with a friend.

And this, it could be argued, is why we have "safe spaces" on college campuses and millennials missing adult milestones today. We told a generation of kids that they can never be too safe—and they believed us.

No, we have "safe spaces" because of things like participation trophies and time out. The behavior quoted above will lead to significantly lamer teens and young adults than we have now.

The Girl Scouts of America have some sage advice for your family when you’re sitting down to eat some sage stuffing with your turkey. Prepare yourself, because this has nothing to do with cookies or merit badges.

Don’t force your kids (particularly the girls in this case) to hug their relatives during the holidays because you’ll be sending a bad message and indoctrinating them into the rape culture or something. And no… I’m not even kidding. (Washington Post)

Have you ever insisted, ‘Uncle just got here — go give him a big hug!’ or ‘Auntie gave you that nice toy, go give her a kiss’ when you were worried your child might not offer affection on her own? If yes, you might want to reconsider the urge to do that in the future.”

That’s the advice the Girl Scouts of America is giving to parents. The organization published a blog post this week arguing that forcing children to hug relatives and family friends during the holidays could muddy the waters when it comes to the notion of consent later in life.

The piece comes as some of the most powerful men in nearly every major industry — from Hollywood to journalism to politics — are being publicly called out for sexual harassment and assault.

Their memo was titled, “Reminder: She Doesn’t Owe Anyone a Hug. Not Even at the Holidays.”

{snip}

You know, the entire sexual assault discussion was long overdue and is producing positive results in many cases. But there was always a danger of this thing going over the cliff in the other direction. Why? Because nothing is worth talking about in 2017 unless we can turn the dial all the way up to eleven. This is one of the early signs of just such a train wreck taking place.

Your children should be encouraged to embrace the love of their immediate family in appropriate ways. Not everyone in the world is waiting to molest them, and advice like this, rather than “setting them up for the rape culture” is actually doing the opposite. You’re going to make them distrustful of everyone in their lives, including their own family. If you have some creepy uncle coming over for dinner who you honestly feel poses a danger, the answer isn’t to prevent him from hugging your kids. It’s to not invite him in the first place and possibly notify the authorities.

Just stop. The disintegration of the nuclear family was the source of many of the social ills we’re battling today. Can we not send out a message encouraging the further decay of the fundamental family unit, please? It’s the holidays. 

More at the link : https://hotair.com/archives/2017/11/22/girl-scouts-politically-correct-awful-advice-holidays/

The upper class is the only structure that can support living "like everybody did" 50 years ago, requires two professional salaries

the middle and lower can't do this and is sadly cutting away the social ties of community, church and family that is essential to support in this world, especially if you aren't hauling in $250,000 a year

22 minutes ago, B-Man said:

The Girl Scouts of America have some sage advice for your family when you’re sitting down to eat some sage stuffing with your turkey. Prepare yourself, because this has nothing to do with cookies or merit badges.

Don’t force your kids (particularly the girls in this case) to hug their relatives during the holidays because you’ll be sending a bad message and indoctrinating them into the rape culture or something. And no… I’m not even kidding. (Washington Post)

Their memo was titled, “Reminder: She Doesn’t Owe Anyone a Hug. Not Even at the Holidays.”

{snip}

You know, the entire sexual assault discussion was long overdue and is producing positive results in many cases. But there was always a danger of this thing going over the cliff in the other direction. Why? Because nothing is worth talking about in 2017 unless we can turn the dial all the way up to eleven. This is one of the early signs of just such a train wreck taking place.

Your children should be encouraged to embrace the love of their immediate family in appropriate ways. Not everyone in the world is waiting to molest them, and advice like this, rather than “setting them up for the rape culture” is actually doing the opposite. You’re going to make them distrustful of everyone in their lives, including their own family. If you have some creepy uncle coming over for dinner who you honestly feel poses a danger, the answer isn’t to prevent him from hugging your kids. It’s to not invite him in the first place and possibly notify the authorities.

Just stop. The disintegration of the nuclear family was the source of many of the social ills we’re battling today. Can we not send out a message encouraging the further decay of the fundamental family unit, please? It’s the holidays. 

More at the link : https://hotair.com/archives/2017/11/22/girl-scouts-politically-correct-awful-advice-holidays/

Once again, the responses are brilliant.  "Compulsory embracing is rape!" 

No it !@#$ing isn't.