What's People's Take on Head Lice Nowadays?

ExiledInIllinois

people get head lice across all economic, racial, religious etc lines. My kid got it once in 1st grade or something...does not exactly go to a school where people are worried bout the price of shampoo. Chit happens, get the Rid shampoo and they be gone!

Absolutely. My kids got them at a public 'facility.'

As to the ease of treatment, I'll disagree. It's a lot of work. Repeated combing, shampooing, washing of bedclothes etc. It doesn't take much to miss a few and the whole cycle starts over. It was a six week battle at my house and, suffice it to say, it was an absolutely exhausting nightmare.

Absolutely. My kids got them at a public 'facility.'

As to the ease of treatment, I'll disagree. It's a lot of work. Repeated combing, shampooing, washing of bedclothes etc. It doesn't take much to miss a few and the whole cycle starts over. It was a six week battle at my house and, suffice it to say, it was an absolutely exhausting nightmare.

That's what I am afraid of... The amount of work to do the job "right"... I wish everbody would be as exhaustive. That's why I agree w/the No Nit policy... It makes other's job easier.

My sister a bunch of years ago dealt w/it w/her young daughter (now 24). My nephew could just shave his head... Best part about being a guy.

Anyway, thank God this isn't Russia where they would shave everbody's head and treat w/kerosene... OH MY!

I just get miffed because once again we as a society try and dance around age old problems. What is so bad about a no nit (dead or alive) policy?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Me too. A buddy of mine had to spend like tens of thousands to eradicate them from his house; was like a 2 year ordeal too.

The scarier thing is that they are at all kinds of hotels, even super nice ones. So, how do you avoid the risk?

No idea. Get some DDT on the black market? Or torch the house. I never thought they were in this area for some reason, then I started to hear stories. Yuck.

My daughter picked them up somewhere and we played hell trying to get rid of them. Her long hair complicated matters, but we tried everything - lice shampoo, oil, we even put mayonaise in her hair, and combed it to death with the metal nit picks - and the Damn things kept coming back.

Finally we found professionals who drowned her hair in some oil blend and combed it out with metal picks and that got rid of them. The primary difference between what they did and what we'd been doing was they used a lot more oil. They also seemed to have a more organized method of combing to cover the whole head.

We live in a nice area - Everyone in our park keeps their trailer in good maintenance, and we make her bathe at least once a week, and use soap if we got it, but that doesn't always work.

Intresfingly, during all that time, even lying on the same pillow with her at times, I never got it. And no, I'm not bald.

Edited by Rob's House

That's what I am afraid of... The amount of work to do the job "right"... I wish everbody would be as exhaustive. That's why I agree w/the No Nit policy... It makes other's job easier.

My sister a bunch of years ago dealt w/it w/her young daughter (now 24). My nephew could just shave his head... Best part about being a guy.

Anyway, thank God this isn't Russia where they would shave everbody's head and treat w/kerosene... OH MY!

I just get miffed because once again we as a society try and dance around age old problems. What is so bad about a no nit (dead or alive) policy?

My daughter got it from a girl at school when she was in 1st grade. I am not going to lie to you it was a nightmare. My wife totally freaked out. Threw out all the bedding, jackets the kids wore. We ended up taking the kids to this place in Williamsville that guarantees that they get rid of all lice in one sitting. It is about a 2 hour process. Cost me over $400. That is not including all the bedding I had to replace & blankets & such because my wife acted like a lunatic even though the people at the lice place we took our kids to told her that the eggs/lice can't live on bedding & such for more than a few hours. We actually didn't talk for 2 weeks after because I was so pissed off how the way she acted over it. You would of thought the world was ending.

Edited by Gordio

Once a week Rob??? Yes... I can give little children a pass, but with long hair?

My daughter is in Grade 8. No way should that classroom SHOULD have them... Teens, normal teens usually shower at least once a day! NOW some in her class have younger siblings... One child has Aspergers and is always hugging, rubbing heads w/the younger children in the lower grades... THAT ISN'T GOOD!!! WTF!!! This has my daughter freaked out... Yet, children can't be children anymore because "everybody gets them" mentality out there! Of course I am not advocating cruel child behavior... Just a little normal "group nudging." What do you think would happen at the high school level next year? Out in the real world? Oh wait... Is there a "real world" anymore? :-O

Anyway, it appears our school does NOT have a No Nit Policy... THAT is what has me miffed. What people's take on that? There is a logical reason the problem gets reintroduced... No???

Oh wait... Rob!!! LMFAO! I just picked up on the humor!

Ha... Priceless... Trailer park...

Another question is... African Anericans CAN get them... BUT IS IT TRUE they have a 10 fold LESS risk of picking up head lice vs. say a Caucasian?

My daughter got it from a girl at school when she was in 1st grade. I am not going to lie to you it was a nightmare. My wife totally freaked out. Threw out all the bedding, jackets the kids wore. We ended up taking the kids to this place in Williamsville that guarantees that they get rid of all lice in one sitting. It is about a 2 hour process. Cost me over $400. That is not including all the bedding I had to replace & blankets & such because my wife acted like a lunatic even though the people at the lice place we took our kids to told her that the eggs/lice can't live on bedding & such for more than a few hours. We actually didn't talk for 2 weeks after because I was so pissed off how the way she acted over it. You would of thought the world was ending.

Ha... She just wanted some new home furnishings and shop a little.

You guys got the disposable income. . ;-)

bed bugs scare the crap out of me. Never had them and never want them.

Speaking of bed bugs... Who on the planet would buy a USED mattress!!! LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois