PASS PROTECT FILM REV- WEEK 8 MIA-MILLER STRUGGLES

Bocephuz

Now think about the Dolphins being 31st against the run. Greg Roman had almost the perfect game plan against the Phins, and lets hope the offense can keep this up.

The NY Jets have the #4 overall defense, and are currently #1 against the run.

Good point.

I'm very interested to see how Mr. Roman and his offense perform against a more stout defense.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you are only focusing on pass protection - and I agree Miller was up and down all day on that - and I should caveat this with "I've not yet watched the all 22" but I have watched the game back and Miller had his best day as a professional in my estimation. I thought in the run game he was very good indeed, was moving defenders about and created a couple of really nice holes.

Based on the results of the running game I would not be surprised if Miller looked great in run blocking. I suppose coaches have to take the whole picture into account when looking at which linemen to start. It's entirely possible that some of these linemen who have graded out poorly in pass protect ( Miller, Henderson) have done very well in run blocking and that is a major factor in why they are in the lineup over others who may be better at pass protect.

Based on the results of the running game I would not be surprised if Miller looked great in run blocking. I suppose coaches have to take the whole picture into account when looking at which linemen to start. It's entirely possible that some of these linemen who have graded out poorly in pass protect ( Miller, Henderson) have done very well in run blocking and that is a major factor in why they are in the lineup over others who may be better at pass protect.

Of course. My take so far this year (I think I have watched the all22 of 6 of our 8 games) is that Miller was been iffy and inconsistent in the pass game but has done pretty well for a rookie in the run game. Henderson is just all round inconsistent. He can make the most brilliant block one play and flat out whiff on the next. Which leads me to believe it isn't talent or even technique that is his issue - it is concerntration and application.

True .. The run game was much better against Miami which theoretically should have helped Tyrod. However.. I would point out several things. Number 1 - I think the O line pass protection was actually slightly worse in the Miami game..in other words EJ and Tyrod had relatively equal pass protect play from their o line in back to back weeks and Tyrod only had 1 unforced error. Nimber 2- The Bills never really had a chance to run the ball against Jags as EJ had 3 or 4 unforced errors in a row in Q2 putting the tesm fown by multiple scores and the Bills were forced to abandon the run. 13 of EJ's mistakes were not attributable to the o line

More to the point was those skill players returning from injuries along with two O linemen. EJ didn't have Sammy, Karlos, Henderson or Miller. EJ stunk it up no question. I just think Watkins alone would have made a huge difference for him. Just take away what Sammy did in the Miami game and what are you left with... 181 yards passing minus the 168 yards for Watkins!! McCoy had 2 rec for 7 yards. Woods had one for 0 yards. Clay had one for 6 yards. See where I'm going here?

When the run game is working so well that you only need to throw the ball 12 times in a game you know the opposing defense is reeling from trying to stop the run. Then the added threat of Tyrod running it had to add to their frustration.

Different teams, different situations, different players is all I was saying, and no real need to bring up how bad EJ was under totally different circumstances.

I don't think EJ is road kill.. someone else posted the "So EJ sucks" comment... not me. The point I was trying to make is that Tyrod has been the more polished/effective QB over EJ and I was backing my point up by comparing the amount of unforced errors each qb has committed with similar O-Line play ( I realize the O Lines had some different personnel when comparing games .. my point is that the O Line protected EJ fairly well in Jacksonville.. and that most of the issues he had in that game were not attributable to O line play). I do think that EJ has improved in several areas... his deep ball is much improved .. also .. his pocket presence has improved in the sense that he is stepping up in the pocket more rather than bailing out like he used to. However.. he still has major accuracy issues ( he has trouble leading receivers and allowing them to run after the catch) and his general demeanor on the field still seems a bit skittish and awkward.. whereas Tyrod appears to be very calm and collected.

Oh no... i DEFINITELY was not attacking you. This is great work. You are right Tyrod is definitely ahead right now. I just hate when people want to say he is terrible and this and that. They both are figuring it out. I honestly see him getting another shot. I not to be a backup here. I site Fitz I site Alex Smith I site other qbs as well who were an afterthought until they found the right system. Hey any player can find it. It seems as though the ability to develop timing comes with practice... with the players you are familiar with. EJ Clay and Woods have a connection. As Tyrod seems to like Watkins and im not sure anyone else. I will say though. He throws a nice swing pass. And I like to see the deep ball throws. Wish he wouldn't be so quick to run though

More to the point was those skill players returning from injuries along with two O linemen. EJ didn't have Sammy, Karlos, Henderson or Miller. EJ stunk it up no question. I just think Watkins alone would have made a huge difference for him. Just take away what Sammy did in the Miami game and what are you left with... 181 yards passing minus the 168 yards for Watkins!! McCoy had 2 rec for 7 yards. Woods had one for 0 yards. Clay had one for 6 yards. See where I'm going here?

When the run game is working so well that you only need to throw the ball 12 times in a game you know the opposing defense is reeling from trying to stop the run. Then the added threat of Tyrod running it had to add to their frustration.

Different teams, different situations, different players is all I was saying, and no real need to bring up how bad EJ was under totally different circumstances.

Yes circumstances were different..but not totally different as you say. For example .. Both Easley and Woods got open deep and caught long bombs against the Jags so it is hard to argue that having Harvin and Watkins out took away EJ's downfield options in that game (quite frankly EJ's looked great throwing deep in preseason and regular games so credit to him)

Regarding the o line...based on my observations there was not much of a drop off ( arguably an inmprovement in Kujo's case) in having Urbik and Kujo in for that game.

Regarding the run game... I will concede that having Karlos out in Jags game was a significant disadvantage for EJ. However.. My mainpoint was that EJ singlehandly sabotaged any chance of a dominant running game when he committed 3 unforced errors early in q2 that put the Bills down Multiple scores forcing them to throw the rest of the game. I would argue that the biggest reason EJ didn't have a run game to build off of was his own doing. Chicken before the egg in essence.

At the end of the day I was not trying to throw EJ under the bus... But to not highlight the fact that in consecutive weeks one qb had 13 unforced errors and the other one only had 1 the next week would have been odd. That is an astounding difference. Again the keyword here is "unforced" errors.

Edited by Bocephuz

Oh no... i DEFINITELY was not attacking you. This is great work. You are right Tyrod is definitely ahead right now. I just hate when people want to say he is terrible and this and that. They both are figuring it out. I honestly see him getting another shot. I not to be a backup here. I site Fitz I site Alex Smith I site other qbs as well who were an afterthought until they found the right system. Hey any player can find it. It seems as though the ability to develop timing comes with practice... with the players you are familiar with. EJ Clay and Woods have a connection. As Tyrod seems to like Watkins and im not sure anyone else. I will say though. He throws a nice swing pass. And I like to see the deep ball throws. Wish he wouldn't be so quick to run though

I hear you.. This forum would be well served if people were more objective. Things are rarely black or white...lot of nuance involved when evaluating guys