IK Enemkpali to be team captain vs. Jets

Wazzu Bill

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TyDunne

As Corbin Bryant adds, Ryan has been doing this with captains all season long. He sees the 2014 sixth-round pick giving Buffalo’s defense a boost. Players have loved having him in this locker room and view him as more than some Ryan-charged novelty for this primetime game.

“He’s a strong player, he’s good against the run, he gets off the ball really fast,” Bryant said. “He gives us a pass rush presence out there. He’s a smart guy. He plays hard. That’s all we could ask for — we like him out there.

“He gave us a lot against Miami. We’ll looking forward to him having a big role Thursday.”

I know how and why he does it. I just think it's ridiculous.

I'm very curious as to why people think it's ridiculous. I'm serious. I don't think it is but I don't think you're wrong, it's just your opinion and that's cool. I'd just like to know if you or anyone can articulate why it is so ridiculous. It clearly has no affect on the game whatsoever. The coin toss is 100% ceremonial by design as is the Rex captain designation. There is nothing a captain can do in a game another player can't.

The players on the team like it. IT IS NO STATEMENT or slap in the face to the other team at all, except perhaps if you want to say "you guys blew it by getting rid of me." A lot of times the players at halftime know the opponents captains because they played with them and enjoy it and rib each other in a friendly way. I really see no downside or ridiculousness whatsoever.

Again, Rex had never thought of making IK the captain. When the reporter asked him about it, because he always does it, Rex realized IK would be the captain for the first time and then said yes, we always do that. IK was asked about it and he didn't know.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

This captain thing is silly and unprofessional. It's not like Rex names a captain or captains based on prior week's performance, but rather geography or some obscure event. In this case he is rewarding a guy with this designation because he broke someone's jaw over six hundred dollars.

I didn't see anything in the article that would lead me to think that. It's classless and if it's "typical Rex" then that doesn't speak well of him. But I guess we stopped caring about class as long as they win.

When he explained that he selects players with local ties to the areas they play in, I thought that was cool. Especially for backups who won't see the field in the game. It has to be a thrill for the guy to be at midfield in a packed stadium that maay include friends and family.

The IK deal is douche though and it gets the criticism it garners and Ryan knows it.

GO BILLS!!!

This captain thing is silly and unprofessional. It's not like Rex names a captain or captains based on prior week's performance, but rather geography or some obscure event. In this case he is rewarding a guy with this designation because he broke someone's jaw over six hundred dollars.

Hot take! Hot take!

When he explained that he selects players with local ties to the areas they play in, I thought that was cool. Especially for backups who won't see the field in the game. It has to be a thrill for the guy to be at midfield in a packed stadium that maay include friends and family.

The IK deal is douche though and it gets the criticism it garners and Ryan knows it.

GO BILLS!!!

But again, he didn't know it. He had never thought of it before the reporter asked him. Then he took a few seconds to think and said, "yeah, he will, we always do."

"Ryan knows it" implies he's considered what would happen and did it anyway.

But again, he didn't know it. He had never thought of it before the reporter asked him. Then he took a few seconds to think and said, "yeah, he will, we always do."

or he had planned it all along (likely IMO). It wasn't hard to figure out ferchrissakes we were talking about it weeks ago.

@buffalobills

Rex on choosing captains: "This was never a thing of disrespect so it's hard for me to understand all of the talk."

CTdjCQIUcAAbV0-.jpg

@PrescottRossi

Rex Ryan on captaincy being special for players but not him going to NYJ: "It's a double standard, I don't know what to tell you."

How exactly is this not disrespectful? IK is named captain strictly because he btoke a guy's jaw. Edited by chris heff

Again with the "I don't trust what Rex says except when I do?"