Spiller the Diller

Storm Front

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He needs to find Chan Gailey.

I thought I remembered the Jets being interested in him. He would have been a lot more productive there imo so I'm glad he chose NO. I can understand why he did, I mean playing in a dome on turf (fast) with Brees you would think he would be more productive in that offense

He looked bad yesterday. Had 1 or 2 nice catches for first downs but besides that his running was a lot of what we've seen in the past. Stutter stepping through the line and getting tackled for 1 yard.

That 4th and 1 run was the epitome of Spiller, and also the Saints season.

they throw it every down .....qbs numbers look good but they are 29-29 over the last 4 years with one winning record in what has been a brutal division with under .500 teams winning it. Yes I know THIS year Carolina is having a great year through 9 games

Edited by CardinalScotts

Big Cat... I get you're reasoning AND YET.... Chan Gailey found a way to make CJ productive. What can't other OCs?

Okay. Sure. 2012.

1700 yds from scrimmage is a very very decent season. But he only got 8 TD's in the process. It was--by far--the best season of his career (although he was on pace to have a good year the following season with Marrone). But what was he really? He was the most valuable offensive weapon on a 6-10 team that finished last in its division and ranked 21st in points and 19th in yards.

The way some Bills fans talk about his performance that season totally ignores the context in which he was being "productive."

And now try this on for size:

Those magical yards per carry number everyone gloms to? 4.2 when the Bills were leading, 4.9 when they were tied and 7.4 ypc when they trailed. That's very telling to me. He picked up yards in big chunks against softer defenses.

In fact, nearly 1100 of his 1700 yards came when the Bills were trailing.

To me, these numbers seriously call into the question how meaningful his vaunted 2012 performance really was.

Spiller is a ridiculously talented player. There is no denying his skill. However, despite that skill he seems to need specific things to go well to make it work. Whether it is worth it to get him going and if he can hold up if he does get going are other questions.

Spiller is a ridiculously talented player. There is no denying his skill. However, despite that skill he seems to need specific things to go well to make it work. Whether it is worth it to get him going and if he can hold up if he does get going are other questions.

No denying his skill?

Ridiculously talented?

Um...I mean, he's really good at out-running guys? What are his other 'skills?'

its tough because Spiller is a very likable kid......and I really do wish him well

but once again....Whaley makes the right choice

You're right John. Spiller was a bad pick. He makes explosive plays, but then follows up with so many negative runs. we have a much better run game with KW and LM over Fredex, and Spiller.

He needs to find Chan Gailey.

wouldn't that be somethin' he and Fitz and green Uni's

I'm just glad he's someone else's conundrum now.

Im gonna puke. change it. aaack aackk.

please i beg of you. burn that avatar. it freaks me out aaack aaack bleeechh

Payton didn't get great production out of Reggie Bush either. We saw with Chan that Spiller's skill set can be used to great effect. He's just limited in other areas and has to be used in a particular way to be consistently productive.

I've warned for months he'd be boom and bust in this offense, and not the week in and week out producer. Everyone talks about SP being magic with these backs but ignores how much better Reggie did after leaving.

He will scheme up some cool stuff for him but not a situation I'd expect him to be a probowler either. Coming off injury, in a disaster season, it is what it is.... He might pick it up some down the stretch, maybe not. I'd guess 1-2 games with big plays.

I've warned for months he'd be boom and bust in this offense, and not the week in and week out producer. Everyone talks about SP being magic with these backs but ignores how much better Reggie did after leaving.

He will scheme up some cool stuff for him but not a situation I'd expect him to be a probowler either. Coming off injury, in a disaster season, it is what it is.... He might pick it up some down the stretch, maybe not. I'd guess 1-2 games with big plays.

The book on Spiller was written in his rookie year when Tasker let it slip on air that the reason he wasn't playing 3/4 of the way thru the season was that he didn't understand the play calls in the huddle.

If you watched him play on the All 22's the last 2 seasons in Buffalo......it's long been clear that he usually does not know where the hole is designed to be.

Fans often mistakenly believe that runners that hit the hole quickly just have a 6th sense....instinct.....about where the hole is going to be and the truth is that they hear the line calls and they are looking at the defense......the best know where the play is designed to take them well before the snap.

CJ.....not so much.

He just gets the ball and goes........he's a very unintelligent player and putting him in a more sophisticated offense like Payton runs wasn't going to be a good fit for him.