So which is it with the backup QB

bartshan-83

Do we want:

A. A player who can mentor and calm JP during his rough patches but not necessarily step in and win?

OR

B. A player who may not be a good mentor, but if JP sputtered, could lead this team to the playoffs?

Ok so we know there is a lot of talent on this team and we do have the the money to potentially upgrade some weak areas (OG). So are we gonna turn the team over to JP and let him ride with a "teacher" backup QB to help guide him. Or are we gonna try to hedge our bets and get someone as a fallback plan to lead this very good team if JP cannot?

An example of A:

-Fiedler (talentwise, nothing special but he plays the game very intelligently and he could teach JP a thing or two about the mental aspects of playing QB)

An example of B:

-Jeff Garcia maybe? Kurt Warner? (Could probably be starting but may not be willing or capable of being a backup/teacher as opposed to a player)

I think Bledsoe would have been the best "B" choice but that is not an option anymore.

thoughts?

Turn the clock back 10-12 years and give me Frank Reich. IMHO he is the perfect backup QB. No I must start ego. Cerebral, understands the game. Good enough to give you a chance to win a game with a weeks preparation, but probably couldn't carry the whole season. Good work ethic, nice guy and can be constantly in Losman's ear giving him advice.

find someone like that today. I don't know who that is though.

I think the unfortunate possibility of injury mandates that the Bills have a back-up that they believe is capable of leading this team to Ws if it comes to that. I do not think that the injury to JP last year proves or means he is fragile or injury prone at all. I think many posters were made gunshy by RJ who truly was injury prone.

However, JP can and should win the starting job on the field and be it JP, Bledsoe or whomever, the braintrust needs to make judgments about who plays based on real world production and output and not based on pride, ego, mollycoddling development or some other issue.

For me, the #2 should not be expected to be a good enough talent to start, but this is different from being a good enough talent to win in short episodes as a back-up.

This to me was the correct assessment of Bledsoe in 2001. Better than Brady? NO!

Good enough to be the starter? No probably not! Great as a back-up? You're darn right and he played the role perfectly with Brady and others heaping lots of credit on him for helping the 2nd year QB learn the O like a vet and stepping in when Brady got nicked to play QB in the majority of a must win game to a win by NE.

I think its too bad for us that Bledoe did not accept TDs offer and reduce his cap hit to back-up levels in exchange for a fair competition with our QB of the future fir the starter's job.

It leaves us in a not good situation with $4.3 million in dead space from the Bledsoe cut which is less than the $6 million+ cap hit from keeping him, but the $2+ million in savings probably are easily eaten up when we acquire a back-up QB capable of leading this team to Ws if JP gets hurt again or sucks. My first hope is that JP plays as well as I hope and think he can. However, it would be foolish of us not have the best plan B we can designed to win games if necessary and not chosen primarily to be a mentor.

I want a veteran backup that wont have JP looking over his shoulder after every bad throw.  I also think the Bills should invest a 4th round pick into a rookie QB to be groomed to be Losman's future backup.  A guy like David Greene, Stephen LaFors or Jason White.

241775[/snapback]

I'll give that thought a HUGE Amen...Hopefully there is a Kid out there who can be to JP what Reich was to Kelly...I think it's a great idea to have 2 Young QB's who can grow together, and push each other on and off the Field...

I've been Preaching the "Draft another QB in 2005" philosophy for some time now...And you never know...If The Scouting Dept. does it's Job well, Maybe that 4th or 5th Round Pick turns into a Solid NFL QB, and you end up getting a High Draft Pick in 4 Years. :rolleyes:

I think the unfortunate possibility of injury mandates that the Bills have a back-up that they believe is capable of leading this team to Ws if it comes to that.  I do not think that the injury to JP last year proves or means he is fragile or injury prone at all.  I think many posters were made gunshy by RJ who truly was injury prone.

However, JP can and should win the starting job on the field and be it JP, Bledsoe or whomever, the braintrust needs to make judgments about who plays based on real world production and output and not based on pride, ego, mollycoddling development or some other issue.

For me, the #2 should not be expected to be a good enough talent to start, but this is different from being a good enough talent to win in short episodes as a back-up. 

This to me was the correct assessment of Bledsoe in 2001. Better than Brady? NO!

Good enough to be the starter? No probably not! Great as a back-up? You're darn right and he played the role perfectly with Brady and others heaping lots of credit on him for helping the 2nd year QB learn the O like a vet and stepping in when Brady got nicked to play QB in the majority of a must win game to a win by NE.

I think its too bad for us that Bledoe did not accept TDs offer and reduce his cap hit to back-up levels in exchange for a fair competition with our QB of the future fir the starter's job.

It leaves us in a not good situation with $4.3 million in dead space from the Bledsoe cut which is less than the $6 million+ cap hit from keeping him, but the $2+ million in savings probably are easily eaten up when we acquire a back-up QB capable of leading this team to Ws if JP gets hurt again or sucks.  My first hope is that JP plays as well as I hope and think he can.  However, it would be foolish of us not have the best plan B we can designed to win games if necessary and not chosen primarily to be a mentor.

241843[/snapback]

Never in a million Years did I think Drew would take the demotion...To his credit, he's not there mentally yet...Should he be there mentally? No doubt about it... But there are Starting possibilities out there for him, so I don't blame DB for wanting a shot elsewhere...

No doubt the Bills will struggle to find a Back-up QB equal to what Drew would bring on the Field...But it's not an impossibilty either...Especially if the Vet QB comes with some mobility and pocket presence...I do think, in Mularkey and Clements system, that Jeff Garcia is a natural fit...I'm not saying he's the best QB overall, but he may fit what The Bills want to do on Offense better than the other possibilities...Of coarse that's assuming Garcia is 100% healthy at the start of the 2005 Season... :rolleyes: