Tyrod Taylor stats

Greg Roman has been very smart in the cautious way he is using TT. He is bringing him along instead of just cutting him loose by throwing the ball all over the place. By insisting on a running game even when it is not productive he is putting TT in a better situation. As your stats indicate TT is a very efficient qb. Much of that credit is due to the way Roman is handling him.

The more TT plays the more responsibility he will be given with the ball. By calling a relatively conservative game Roman has put Taylor in a good position to succeed.There is little doubt that the OC will steadily add to his game the more he plays.

Considering what qbs we had on the roster when training camp started TT is a godsend. Without him the Bills would be what they have been for a generation: a dull team with little realistic chance to compete for a playoff spot.

Agreed. Although the first play of the game they went right after Revis and Tyrod threw a perfect bomb that should have been a long TD, which is the opposite of conservative. At first I thought it was a little long but after watching it over and over and over I think Sammy misjudged it and would have caught it in stride if he didn't slow and jump.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as an update, Tyrod Taylor, remarkably, is the third rated passer in the league behind Brady and Palmer. He is leading the league in completion percentage, the only player over 70%. He is tied for third in YPA at 8.2. He's thrown 11 TDs and 4 INTS.

Interesting team stat: The only team to score more TDs than the Bills in the AFC is the Pats.

The Bills have a ton of 3 and outs which cuts down on their total scoring drives but their big play ability gets them in the end zone more than most teams.

Kind of reminds me a bit of what Brady and Big Ben were asked to do early in their careers (if I remember correctly). Strong run game, with not too much pressure on the QBs shoulders, easy reads and easy throws. Then as time goes on, hand over more responsibility to them.

You remember correctly.

Interesting team stat: The only team to score more TDs than the Bills in the AFC is the Pats.

The Bills have a ton of 3 and outs which cuts down on their total scoring drives but their big play ability gets them in the end zone more than most teams.

Feast or famine :)

Agreed. Although the first play of the game they went right after Revis and Tyrod threw a perfect bomb that should have been a long TD, which is the opposite of conservative. At first I thought it was a little long but after watching it over and over and over I think Sammy misjudged it and would have caught it in stride if he didn't slow and jump.

Sammy mistimed his jump and should have caught it, but it was not a great throw. He threw it behind the route. If Tyrod throws that literally anywhere on the other side of the field, about 30 yards to work with (there was no safety), Sammy just runs right under it easily.

Sammy mistimed his jump and should have caught it, but it was not a great throw. He threw it behind the route. If Tyrod throws that literally anywhere on the other side of the field, about 30 yards to work with (there was no safety), Sammy just runs right under it easily.

That is true. But if you throw the ball 60 yards down the field and it is going to hit the guy in full stride against the best DB in football it's great throw. ;)

And I wouldn't call it behind the route, it just wasn't in front of the route.

Kind of reminds me a bit of what Brady and Big Ben were asked to do early in their careers (if I remember correctly). Strong run game, with not too much pressure on the QBs shoulders, easy reads and easy throws. Then as time goes on, hand over more responsibility to them.

It's similar to how young QBs should be brought along. The only better comparison is the offense Denver ran with Tim Tebow. Running the QB wasn't an important part of the offenses with Roethlisberger and Brady, but was with Tebow and is with Taylor. Honestly, when I watch Taylor I see a much better version of Tebow.

Looking at his stats and watching him play it easy to see who Taylor is now: A QB who has been very efficient in a role with relatively limited passing and who is asked to run the ball regularly. He's also a guy who runs from the pocket a lot - either to buy time or gain yards. What I haven't seen a lot of is multiple read progressions and that's a concern. I've seen some of it and I've seen him look off on screens, but usually he buys time rolling to the side of field he's watching and goes from there.

Where he needs to develop is properly getting through his progressions across the whole field. Hopefully he develops that skill because sooner or later he'll be called upon to be a bigger part of the offense with his passing. It's a lot to ask for that to happen overnight, but he's going to need to show he can do it before he really gets paid.

Just as an update, Tyrod Taylor, remarkably, is the third rated passer in the league behind Brady and Palmer. He is leading the league in completion percentage, the only player over 70%. He is tied for third in YPA at 8.2. He's thrown 11 TDs and 4 INTS.

These numbers are great. I'm trying to look at the #'s realistically here.

The #'s you cited are comparing 2 guys that have on average 32 to 45 passes per game to TT's average 22 passes per game.

something to think about when you factor in with more passes % tend to change the numbers.

Dumb stats

When TT throws for 30 or more passes in a game he is 0-2. NE* & NYG

When TT throws for 29 or less passes in a game he is 5-0.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

These numbers are great. I'm trying to look at the #'s realistically here.

The #'s you cited are comparing 2 guys that have on average 32 to 45 passes per game to TT's average 22 passes per game.

something to think about when you factor in with more passes % tend to change the numbers.

Dumb stats

When TT throws for 30 or more passes in a game he is 0-2. NE* & NYG

When TT throws for 29 or less passes in a game he is 5-0.

Kind of an arbitrary stat. His very best game by far was when he threw 29.

If his play continues signing Tyrod to an extension should be our top offensive priority.

While Taylor's play has been solid, I don't think the Bills should be in a hurry to give him huge money. I like what he's done so far, but I think it would be a mistake to give him a contract like they gave Fitz.

It's similar to how young QBs should be brought along. The only better comparison is the offense Denver ran with Tim Tebow. Running the QB wasn't an important part of the offenses with Roethlisberger and Brady, but was with Tebow and is with Taylor. Honestly, when I watch Taylor I see a much better version of Tebow.

Looking at his stats and watching him play it easy to see who Taylor is now: A QB who has been very efficient in a role with relatively limited passing and who is asked to run the ball regularly. He's also a guy who runs from the pocket a lot - either to buy time or gain yards. What I haven't seen a lot of is multiple read progressions and that's a concern. I've seen some of it and I've seen him look off on screens, but usually he buys time rolling to the side of field he's watching and goes from there.

Where he needs to develop is properly getting through his progressions across the whole field. Hopefully he develops that skill because sooner or later he'll be called upon to be a bigger part of the offense with his passing. It's a lot to ask for that to happen overnight, but he's going to need to show he can do it before he really gets paid.

I've seen him go through progressions, but he's not quick with it, and I think that has led to some of the sacks he's taken. I hope and assume that's something that'll come with experience and having a better idea of where to expect players on both sides of the ball.

While Taylor's play has been solid, I don't think the Bills should be in a hurry to give him huge money. I like what he's done so far, but I think it would be a mistake to give him a contract like they gave Fitz.

It's been covered on here before but at the time Fitz signed his contract he became like the 25th highest paid QB in the NFL. Are you not comfortable paying Tyrod the 25th biggest QB salary in the league? I think that it would be a bargain.

It's been covered on here before but at the time Fitz signed his contract he became like the 25th highest paid QB in the NFL. Are you not comfortable paying Tyrod the 25th biggest QB salary in the league? I think that it would be a bargain.

I would like to see more sustained success, continued improvement and proof of durability before seeing him get a long term deal for something like $14-15m per.

He is still under contract next year no matter what. 2017 is voidable. I would see how this year plays out and then consider reworking the deal in the offseason.

I would like to see more sustained success, continued improvement and proof of durability before seeing him get a long term deal for something like $14-15m per.

He is still under contract next year no matter what. 2017 is voidable. I would see how this year plays out and then consider reworking the deal in the offseason.

That is fair enough. I certainly wouldn't wait another offseason if he keeps playing at this level. I am not saying that he needs to be extended today but I wouldn't wait through next season if we see the same performance. You may very well end up getting a QB bargain.

That is fair enough. I certainly wouldn't wait another offseason if he keeps playing at this level. I am not saying that he needs to be extended today but I wouldn't wait through next season if we see the same performance. You may very well end up getting a QB bargain.

Also, don't underestimate Taylor knowing he could be throwing to Sammy for essentially his entire career if he stays in Buffalo.

It depends on how you measure these things (total dollars, dollars per year, guaranteed money, etc.) but IIRC, Fitz's contract was the 19th highest in the league and ironically/fittingly he finished 19th in the league in passing. Something like that.

Also, don't underestimate Taylor knowing he could be throwing to Sammy for essentially his entire career if he stays in Buffalo.

And Clay for the next five.

Kind of an arbitrary stat. His very best game by far was when he threw 29.

Oh I agree.

That is what I try to relate. Stats LIE. People use them to make something look good or bad.

He is a loser with 20 passes but dominated with 29 passes and nothing but a winner with 20 - 29 passes.

Oh I agree.

That is what I try to relate. Stats LIE. People use them to make something look good or bad.

He is a loser with 20 passes but dominated with 29 passes and nothing but a winner with 20 - 29 passes.

Yep. Especially without context. Taylor's stats are remarkable if only because virtually everyone outside of Buffalo and half the Bills fandom thought before the season that we had the worst QB situation in the league. The fact that after 9 games our QB is completing 70% of his passes for a lot of YPA and a 106 rating is outrageous.

Add in the fact that virtually everyone also thought that if the Bills only get pretty good quarterbacking this is a dominant team because of its defense, and that didn't happen either, makes this more perplexing.