Defense is still average

The Jets had zero defensive backs last year. Zero. They were starting guys they signed off the street. You know as well as anyone the Jets sabotaged Rex last year, whether you like him or not.

He has coached poorly this year. I even think he would admit it. He had some terrible game plans and calls. His players are not ready. There is no denying it.

There is also no denying that since the second week of the season teams play different against the Bills. The sack and pressure totals are down half because of Rex and his scheme and half because teams throw immediately against us 80-90% of the plays. The fact he hasn't been able to combat that is a far far bigger problem than no pressure. It's almost impossible to get pressure when the ball is out in two seconds

Actually I know teams are playing the Bills differently and it is in part because of what Rex is presenting them.

People act like BB and the Pats game planned for the wide 9..........they game planned for Rex D! :doh:

And even if you think the problem is two-fold......which one of those things can Rex do something about?

Rex needs to make adjustments to get this DL more involved as playmakers and his LB's less involved.....otherwise it will be more mediocrity.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills are 4-0 in games where they are + or = in turnovers.

The past 5 games the Bills D haven't forced more than a single turnover in any game and have forced 4 total. That puts a lot of pressure on the offense to have to be perfect.

Actually I know teams are playing the Bills differently and it is in part because of what Rex is presenting them.

People act like BB and the Pats game planned for the wide 9..........they game planned for Rex D! :doh:

And even if you think the problem is two-fold......which one of those things can Rex do something about?

Rex needs to make adjustments to get this DL more involved as playmakers and his LB's less involved.....otherwise it will be more mediocrity.

moving Hughes around helped. and actually rushing the QB.

The Bills are 4-0 in games where they are + or = in turnovers.

The past 5 games the Bills D haven't forced more than a single turnover in any game and have forced 4 total. That puts a lot of pressure on the offense to have to be perfect.

Turnovers win and lose games obviously. so you have to compare the game day ratio as compared to totals.

But you are correct. Bills would be a better team creating a possession change via Defense!

i want to check the replay, but other than the poor judgement on the Decker TD, i thought they played a very good, disciplined, and well rounded game.

i think they'll work on their communication on pick plays, but i gotta add that at first glance i question their legality.. throwing a shoulder into a defender (the Marshall TD) isn't running a route, it's running interference.. and Decker looked like he was boxing out defenders on that 4th and goal that almost stole the lead.

bottom line.. the D held 'em when they had to, never lost their composure, got some pressure, and i don't know if they were penalized even once.

this was a decent tune up for NE.. definitely something to build on

The D won us the game last night. I think it might be the first time you can legitimately say that.

It's interesting that the D did so well with so many role players in place of highly paid stars like Kyle, Mario and Aaron Williams.

The thing about Rex D is that aside from the corners it is very cheap to stock with guys that can do the job.

They just need to know their limitations and do what they are asked.

Stars are used to making star plays.

Last nignt, some of the good runs the Jets had were Dareus fault.

He is used to disengaging and making plays in the backfield and a couple times he wasn't patient and took chances and got beat.

No question whatsoever I'd rather see a more aggressive front 7 though because of the talent we have.

As we all know......Fitz is not good.

When he is out there the field gets shorter for the defense and that makes it harder for Fitz team to get things done.

Funny watching the Jets try to show that Fitz can throw deep on the first series and he throws 3 terrible passes.

He threw one on the hands of Marshall that was dropped and he hit his David Nelson throw on the TD to Decker.....the one longer throw he used to hit regularly in Buffalo.......but otherwise stunk and that made for a lot less ground to cover.

Edited by #BADOL

It's interesting that the D did so well with so many role players in place of highly paid stars like Kyle, Mario and Aaron Williams.

The thing about Rex D is that aside from the corners it is very cheap to stock with guys that can do the job.

They just need to know their limitations and do what they are asked.

Stars are used to making star plays.

Last nignt, some of the good runs the Jets had were Dareus fault.

He is used to disengaging and making plays in the backfield and a couple times he wasn't patient and took chances and got beat.

No question whatsoever I'd rather see a more aggressive front 7 though because of the talent we have.

As we all know......Fitz is not good.

When he is out there the field gets shorter for the defense and that makes it harder for Fitz team to get things done.

Funny watching the Jets try to show that Fitz can throw deep on the first series and he throws 3 terrible passes.

He threw one on the hands of Marshall that was dropped and he hit his David Nelson throw......the one longer throw he used to hit regularly in Buffalo.......but otherwise stunk and that made for a lot less ground to cover.

I dunno - I watched Muhammed Wilkerson on the other side (a GREAT and highly underrated player) and saw him making the plays that he made the last few years for Rex. What about his game is different from, say, Mario's? He was a playmaking machine last night, but he was a playmaking machine for Rex too.

Edited by dave mcbride

Very happy with the defense last night. They were making tackles and getting pressure without Kyle and Mario. Now let's get healthy.

I thought the pressure was pretty meager, actually. It's been a running problem all season, and it wasn't better last night. To be fair, Fitz has the lowest sack rate in the league at present.