It's that time. Winter is coming...

boyst

I have consulted the experts; the fruits and the nuts, the wooly worms and the fog.

I have watched the sunsets and looked at the water.

All I can tell you is that it is going to be an up and down Winter across the country. You folks around the Buffalo area and great lakes region; it'll be cold. Ya'll will get some snow but it'll be cold. Late winter you'll get more snow, but it'll be cold. All that is going to set up for a dry Spring and Summer; it'll be hotter then normal. The wooly worms tell me that you will need to have a jacket handy and not to be fooled because there are some Indian Summers coming. This worries them about their food for next year; as the blossoms will suffer.

This year, though, it will not be as bad as last year. Many of you NY'ers will think of it as just an ordinary Winter; I promise you it'll be a touch colder and up and down all year. Keep your umbrella handy this month, keep a spot on your coat hanger available next month because you won't need it every day, and in January I figure you'll just be confused by then because it will be Winter again and all that December moisture will drop some **** on ya.

Down here in the South East, we had some light fog in August and all of the persimmons I have checked the last few weeks had spoons. I think they're lying and the water standing around tells me so. The water tells me its going to be wet and the ironwood tells me it's not going to be too cold. Ya'll see, when the ironwoods sink quickly it hasn't held much moisture and its getting ready for a cold harsh winter. Mr Ags has left. And the squirels, well, they didn't dig their nuts too deep because they are smart and don't want to dig too deep if they don't need to; hence, shallow food. There won't be a lot of snow and it won't be too cold. It's going to be wet, though. And, that is going to be good until it all dries up come February, much like the upper Atlantic and Great Lakes region.

For those worried about drought conditions for the 2016 year, which I am expecting; the midwest and upper midwest are going to flourish.

So, there you have at it. If you have any questions, ask TRBJ. He's an expert at answering questions.

TRBJ -- they keep saying to look for warm and wet in the Northeast this winter.

Should I count on that or should I buy the wife something expensive for Christmas to be safe?

where did he say that?

I wouldn't say warm. I would say up and down, but it'll be colder on average with some pretty rough cold spells but a few days in between of some great warm weather. I wouldn't be surprised if it hits the upper 50's a few days maybe even 60's in December/January.

I have consulted the experts; the fruits and the nuts, the wooly worms and the fog.
All I can tell you is that it is going to be an up and down Winter across the country. You folks around the Buffalo area and great lakes region; it'll be cold. Ya'll will get some snow but it'll be cold. Late winter you'll get more snow, but it'll be cold.

You needed to consult fruits nuts, wooley worms, and fog to tell us that it will be cold and it will snow in Buffalo this winter? :w00t:

Edited by rockpile

You needed to consult fruits nuts, wooley worms, and fog to tell us that it will be cold and it will snow in Buffalo this winter? :w00t:

not cold, but specifically colder and more wet then pure snow. Someone like DCTommy is likely to get more pure snow then just rain and sleet. Up there in PTR land I expect much more snow as the cold air does not push so far down the Southern moisture pushes up. Midwest, they'll get snow, too.

Yes...but he consulted them in North Carolina.

So that's kind-of impressive, really.

actually, i looked at weather models (that chick on univsion mostly), pressure systems and water levels; many things. I look at a few sources, as well, Farmers Almanac, Sears catalog, and a few sites, etc. and check in on what people have reported for their findings on foggy days and wooly worms. Plus, I have found that Appalachia gets the same type of systems developing like WNY. Not sure why, fully.

mostly, though, i looked at what the weather has been in the past few months and what is going on with Drakes new album.

Should I count on that or should I buy the wife something expensive for Christmas to be safe?

A snowblower?

not cold, but specifically colder and more wet then pure snow. Someone like DCTommy is likely to get more pure snow then just rain and sleet. Up there in PTR land I expect much more snow as the cold air does not push so far down the Southern moisture pushes up. Midwest, they'll get snow, too.

actually, i looked at weather models (that chick on univsion mostly), pressure systems and water levels; many things. I look at a few sources, as well, Farmers Almanac, Sears catalog, and a few sites, etc. and check in on what people have reported for their findings on foggy days and wooly worms. Plus, I have found that Appalachia gets the same type of systems developing like WNY. Not sure why, fully.

mostly, though, i looked at what the weather has been in the past few months and what is going on with Drakes new album.

Watch the Univision Babe's nipples, far better predictor than all the forecast crap.

All I can tell you is that it is going to be an up and down Winter across the country. You folks around the Buffalo area and great lakes region; it'll be cold. Ya'll will get some snow but it'll be cold. Late winter you'll get more snow, but it'll be cold. All that is going to set up for a dry Spring and Summer; it'll be hotter then normal. The wooly worms tell me that you will need to have a jacket handy and not to be fooled because there are some Indian Summers coming. This worries them about their food for next year; as the blossoms will suffer.
This year, though, it will not be as bad as last year. Many of you NY'ers will think of it as just an ordinary Winter; I promise you it'll be a touch colder and up and down all year. Keep your umbrella handy this month, keep a spot on your coat hanger available next month because you won't need it every day, and in January I figure you'll just be confused by then because it will be Winter again and all that December moisture will drop some **** on ya.
Down here in the South East, we had some light fog in August and all of the persimmons I have checked the last few weeks had spoons. I think they're lying and the water standing around tells me so. The water tells me its going to be wet and the ironwood tells me it's not going to be too cold. Ya'll see, when the ironwoods sink quickly it hasn't held much moisture and its getting ready for a cold harsh winter. Mr Ags has left. And the squirels, well, they didn't dig their nuts too deep because they are smart and don't want to dig too deep if they don't need to; hence, shallow food. There won't be a lot of snow and it won't be too cold. It's going to be wet, though. And, that is going to be good until it all dries up come February, much like the upper Atlantic and Great Lakes region.
For those worried about drought conditions for the 2016 year, which I am expecting; the midwest and upper midwest are going to flourish.
So, there you have at it. If you have any questions, ask TRBJ. He's an expert at answering questions.

I am no expert about this & certainly hate to argue with the squirrels & earth worms or whatever else you use but I read this is the strongest El Nino pattern that has setup since 1998 which was a year the WNY set records for warmth & had limited snowfall. They even had to cancel the winter snow festival that year in Delaware Park because they had no snow in Feb. Most things I have read said this is going to be a very mild & dry winter for the great lake region. The weather has been great here this fall. I have actually golfed 3 times already in November & I am going out this Wednesday also. Last week when I went it was 74 degrees out. Even the long range forecast on accuweather has temps in the 50s for the rest of November & looks like a mild start all the way thru Christmas. Hopefully it is right, I honestly can't take another year like last year. It was absolutely brutal. I will consider moving if we have another winter like last year. Almost the one year anniversary of the 8 feet of snowvember.

I am no expert about this & certainly hate to argue with the squirrels & earth worms or whatever else you use but I read this is the strongest El Nino pattern that has setup since 1998 which was a year the WNY set records for warmth & had limited snowfall. They even had to cancel the winter snow festival that year in Delaware Park because they had no snow in Feb. Most things I have read said this is going to be a very mild & dry winter for the great lake region. The weather has been great here this fall. I have actually golfed 3 times already in November & I am going out this Wednesday also. Last week when I went it was 74 degrees out. Even the long range forecast on accuweather has temps in the 50s for the rest of November & looks like a mild start all the way thru Christmas. Hopefully it is right, I honestly can't take another year like last year. It was absolutely brutal. I will consider moving if we have another winter like last year. Almost the one year anniversary of the 8 feet of snowvember.

So true! Same here.

These strong El Nino years (this one is stronger than the stongest on record: early 1980's) seem to coincide with high Lake Michigan water levels. The elevations of The Lake were on the high side during the El Nino years in the 1980's and the last high water was in 1997. This year, the water level is back up after that long string of La Nina years in the 2000's.

Just my observation over the last 2-3 decades... We shall see!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• 3 months later...