Forrest Gump Debate

Forrest Gump  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Why did Jenny marry forrest?

• A: Jenny was a whore, who was in love with Forrest.
    • B: Jenny was a whore, who took advantage of Forrest.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Settle a debate about Forrest Gump for me and a friend of mine. We've been having it for literally a decade now. Which is true? Or more true?

A: Jenny, after a lifetime of partying, drugs, promiscuity, etc, is finally old enough and wise enough to realize Forrest was the only man in her life who truly loved her and realized she loved him, was ready to finally settle down with him.

B: Jenny, after realizing she was dying, needs to find someone to take care of Forrest Jr. Realizing that Forrest Sr. is a sap, and in love with her, and now a multi millionaire, can take care of Forrest Jr, as well as her and all of her medical bills for the last little bit of time she had, and married him out of desperation, not love.

The answer is always the same...you don't stand a chance with women, please stop looking for answers.

It was just one of the things that made the movie stupid. She was the first one with AIDS. He invented "schit happens," and the smiley face. Lt. Dan, "stumbled upon," Apple stock.

That stupidity beat out Pulp Fiction and, even more of a crime, Shawshank Redemption.

Still pisses me off.

Somehow your review justifies how much I like the movie.

Did jenny for of aids? I can't remember

It was implied, but they never called it HIV/AIDS by name. She had "some sort of virus. They don't know exactly what it is yet." With all the whoring, and needle sharing she did, and it being impiled to be taking place sometime in the late 80s, early 90s, it's just assumed.

Settle a debate about Forrest Gump for me and a friend of mine. We've been having it for literally a decade now. Which is true? Or more true?

A: Jenny, after a lifetime of partying, drugs, promiscuity, etc, is finally old enough and wise enough to realize Forrest was the only man in her life who truly loved her and realized she loved him, was ready to finally settle down with him.

B: Jenny, after realizing she was dying, needs to find someone to take care of Forrest Jr. Realizing that Forrest Sr. is a sap, and in love with her, and now a multi millionaire, can take care of Forrest Jr, as well as her and all of her medical bills for the last little bit of time she had, and married him out of desperation, not love.

IMO...

It's a false dichotomy. A and B can both be true, or neither could be true.

"Love" is not an emotion; attraction and infatuation are the emotions. A person cannot help or choose who they're attracted to or with whom they're infatuated.

Love, on the other hand, is a choice; one you have to make over and over and over if a relationship is going to work.

Was Jenny attracted to Forrest? Infatuated with him? Probably not. I'm sure she was fond of him in some way and always had been.

She made a conscious decision to re-connect with him, marry him, and live out her days with him. Is that not what Forrest always wanted? She chose to bring Forrest Jr into Forrest Sr.'s life; to build a family in her final days.

Is that not love?

Like I said, it's a false dichotomy...

Oh, and for the record, yes, it's an overrated movie, but one that I enjoy.

It was just one of the things that made the movie stupid. She was the first one with AIDS. He invented "schit happens," and the smiley face. Lt. Dan, "stumbled upon," Apple stock.

That stupidity beat out Pulp Fiction and, even more of a crime, Shawshank Redemption.

Still pisses me off.

Umm, the goofy coincidences were kinda the whole point of the movie.

Gump is a great film, as are the two you mentioned. I don't see why everyone feels the need to "rank" films. The Oscars? A popularity contest.

Still pisses me off.

What is your problem with Shawshank Redemption? That movie was a classic.

I would like to say it was A but let's face it Gump wasn't the smartest guy around & he wasn't good enough for her in the whole movie & then when she had no other options she went back to him so I would have to go with B.

Still pisses me off.

Why don't you love me, Gug-ny?

As for the poll question, I'll let Forest answer that one: I think, maybe, it's both.

Edited by KD in CT

You missed his point. He's pissed that Gump beat out Pulp Fiction and Shawshank for best picture. My point is "who cares, they're all great."

Umm, the goofy coincidences were kinda the whole point of the movie.

Gump is a great film, as are the two you mentioned. I don't see why everyone feels the need to "rank" films. The Oscars? A popularity contest.

This.

I would like to say it was A but let's face it Gump wasn't the smartest guy around & he wasn't good enough for her in the whole movie & then when she had no other options she went back to him so I would have to go with B.

He's not saying anything is wrong with it, he's saying it's a shame that Forrest Gump won Best Picture over it.

You missed his point. He's pissed that Gump beat out Pulp Fiction and Shawshank for best picture. My point is "who cares, they're all great."

Oh gotcha. In a way I am kind of like Gump, an ignorant stupid f*ck.