Forrest Gump Debate

Forrest Gump  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Why did Jenny marry forrest?

• A: Jenny was a whore, who was in love with Forrest.
    • B: Jenny was a whore, who took advantage of Forrest.

Settle a debate about Forrest Gump for me and a friend of mine. We've been having it for literally a decade now. Which is true? Or more true?

A: Jenny, after a lifetime of partying, drugs, promiscuity, etc, is finally old enough and wise enough to realize Forrest was the only man in her life who truly loved her and realized she loved him, was ready to finally settle down with him.

B: Jenny, after realizing she was dying, needs to find someone to take care of Forrest Jr. Realizing that Forrest Sr. is a sap, and in love with her, and now a multi millionaire, can take care of Forrest Jr, as well as her and all of her medical bills for the last little bit of time she had, and married him out of desperation, not love.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jenny was damaged. She was incapable of neither love nor rational relationship decisions.

In the begining of the movie, yes, I agree. That's why it took so long for her to come around. But she matured, and learned to cope with the abuse she experienced from her childhood, and learned how to love. From Forrest.

The real Forrest Gump question is whether or not the famous line is:

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get."

or

"Life was like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get."

I always remembered it as "is", but having just seen the film again recently I was surprised to hear (and see the closed captioning) as "was". Add this to the Berenstein / Berenstain Bears paradox and I don't know what's going on. :wacko:

Not doubt it was A. It certainly wasn't taking advantage of him since the kid was his, she died soon after. and he was more than wealthy and happy enough to take them both in.

Edited by Doc

Did jenny for of aids? I can't remember

It was just one of the things that made the movie stupid. She was the first one with AIDS. He invented "schit happens," and the smiley face. Lt. Dan, "stumbled upon," Apple stock.

That stupidity beat out Pulp Fiction and, even more of a crime, Shawshank Redemption.

Still pisses me off.