31 Non-Bills Starting QBs and who the Bills got instead.

You're right about the blind squirrel thing, but if you think about it, the Bills FO over the past 20 years is being vastly outperformed by a large number of blind squirrels.

Like I said, it's easy to be right when you say every QB is going to be great. QB fever hits every spring. 2013 looks like the worst draft year for QBs ever, yet I don't recall anyone saying don't draft one. Instead the debate was should we draft Geno, Nassim or Barkley. Few if anyone was touting EJ, so I guess credit is due there.

Like I said, it's easy to be right when you say every QB is going to be great. QB fever hits every spring. 2013 looks like the worst draft year for QBs ever, yet I don't recall anyone saying don't draft one. Instead the debate was should we draft Geno, Nassim or Barkley. Few if anyone was touting EJ, so I guess credit is due there.

because Nix got catfished. That in a sense IMO made them pull the trigger on someone in '13. Doubtful Fitz was happy and then they asked him to take a pay cut. LOL. Now since he had all his chips in on Fitz in 2012. he missed on some gambles and a future super bowl winner in round 3 pick #75. Instead they MOVED UP to grab T.J. Graham. I vaguely remember him or someone at OBD that Wilson lacked "prototypical size". So in 2013 he grabbed a guy with prototypical size and little else.

A perfect example of the "blind squirrel" school of football scouting. The same fans wanted Geno Smith, Ryan Mallet, Blaine Gabbert, Tim Tebow, etc, etc, etc. Don't break yer arms patting yourselves on the back.

yes but had we taken a qb every year in the later rounds and not traded away picks for quys like losman and watkins, we would have probably landed a derek carr, russel wilson, tom brady, aaron rogers breese or someone whos good, if they didnt work out or our free agent was better we could have traded him for more picks....like how we gave a number 1 for drew bledsoe.

Romo was an Undrafted Free Agent signing. Which means the Bills had the opportunity to draft in 2003 but opted for LB Mario Haggan instead at pick #228.

For one, Mario Haggan wasn't half bad. And the Cowboys passed on Romo too for whoever they took in the 7th round. Guys, every single good player who's ever existed is not an instance of the Bills making a player talent misevaluation.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

yes but had we taken a qb every year in the later rounds and not traded away picks for quys like losman and watkins, we would have probably landed a derek carr, russel wilson, tom brady, aaron rogers breese or someone whos good, if they didnt work out or our free agent was better we could have traded him for more picks....like how we gave a number 1 for drew bledsoe.

Something tells me it is a bit more complicated than just having the QB on your roster.

Teddy Bridgewater AND (not "or") David Carr vs. Sammy Watkins.

The excuses flow like milk, but the equation doesn't change.

The organization has never really been entirely committed to finding a QB.

Technically......they haven't drafted a QB with their originally slotted first pick in any draft since their very first draft pick in 1960.

People will argue that trading back(EJ) or into the first round(JP) or even trading a first rounder for vets like Rob Johnson or Drew Bledsoe isn't that different........but what it reflects is an organizational unwillingness to go all-in on the most important position on the field.

Additionally, Ralph Wilson never valued head coaching and that has created an environment that wasn't very favorable for developing QB's.

Hopefully the Pegula's will do a better job as stewards of the on-field product.

The fact that Buddy Nix was in love with Fitz is 99% of the reason we missed on several potentially good QB's.

We have "Ryan, and Ryan's our guy." Everytime I heard him utter that I wanted to knock him out.

If you look back to that 2010 season Chan Gailey wanted Trent Edwards to start, and then cut him after 2 regular season games after he started him. :blink: Gailey told us all that off season that Brian Brohm- Trent Edwards- Ryan Fitzpatrick were all about equal...which told me Gailey was clueless.

Chan Gailey was just lucky that Fitz was the backup at that time, and once Gailey saw how quickly Fitz could get the ball out, how good he was at scrambling out of trouble. Then Gailey then wanted to build his offense around Fitz. Chan Gailey also told Ralph Wilson he didn't need a superstar QB to win games. another :blink: Just like Gailey wanted Spiller as his "waterbug" RB.

Budy Nix had his warts for sure, but Fitz- CJ Spiller weren't his warts!

A perfect example of the "blind squirrel" school of football scouting. The same fans wanted Geno Smith, Ryan Mallet, Blaine Gabbert, Tim Tebow, etc, etc, etc. Don't break yer arms patting yourselves on the back.

Well if we had selected all of those we stiil would have had Wilson, and been able to trade the other for Draft picks (we probably wouldnt have taken Geno). I think right now most teas would trade 1 second (Smith) a third (Mallet) and two firsts (Gabbert and Tebow) to get Wilson. Especially wilson on a rookie contract. So I am not sure why you think that would have been bad.

Interesting, although at the given point in time, the vast majority of these quarterbacks were unproven and hadn't yet developed their career.

Frankly I wouldn't trust any of the Bills' coaching staffs of the last fifteen years to have developed any of these quarterbacks. Greg Roman with Kaepernick might be the only exception to that, although he's crashing and burning as we speak.

First, thanks to the OP for the research. Yes, most of it is rehashed, but I've never seen all the misses together in one place, so it makes an impression.

Second, the bolded line: my rule of thumb is this -- if you draft a guy who's a bust on your team, but then goes on to have a successful career elsewhere, the problem was with player development (think "Jerry Hughes"). On the other hand, if you draft a guy who's a bust on your team and he never catches on elsewhere, the problem was with the draft/college scouting. And what I see with the Bills QBs is all the latter. JP Losman, Trent Edwards, and some low round picks -- none of them went on to do anything remotely noteworthy after the Bills dumped them. I guess the soon-to-be ex-Bill EJ Manuel will either prove my point for good or I'll have to go back to the drawing board ...

This is one that doesn't seem to get mentioned much but would have been a perfect fit and was at a time when they had crap at the position.

I'd like to think we wouldn't have ruined him, but......

I'm sure Flacco is happy with the way things turned out.

Bills would have destroyed almost any successful QB had we been so blind as to pick correctly anyway. I'm not saying the JPs and EJs of the world would have ever been good...I'm just saying it probably hasn't mattered for most of the playoff-drought era.

I would like to think the roster is finally at a point where it would matter now...but the way we've been hurt and let up scoring on defense it's conceivable that our most talented roster in 15 years isn't even good enough to let a young QB shine lol.

Edited by Rex'sOffense

Don't forget the post after post regarding Skelton,