Fire Doug Whaley signs

Rockee96

Incorrect. Ej's performance has zero to do with your "insider" prediction. Take the L on this one. #accountability.

Imo.

Ryan, Let me repeat this one more time for you, plans change.

Imo

Edited by Leroi

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always love how Whaley gets blames for the QB position. How was he supposed to magically go out and find another Jim Kelly? The Bills draft to far from the top for anything worth while, and I don't see teams offering up a top tier QB in a trade. Sam Bradford? BLAH

He definitely neglected the QB position. He bought a mansion then Cancelled his home insurance policy.

Some blame must fall on Whaley, his gamble backfired.

You break it, you buy it.

Imo

Edited by Leroi

He definitely neglected the QB position. He bought a mansion then Cancelled his home insurance policy.

Imo

I agree with the "some blame" for QB. But as far as mansion, it seems to me that Ryan's invited the frat boys in to play "slip and slide" on the parquet floors and punch holes in the bedroom drywall. I'm not sure homeowner insurance covers that from invited guests.

We agree the Bills QB neglect far precedes Whaley, correct? It precedes Nix, although Chix and Nailey def. hitched their star to the Fitzpatrick bandwagon and drafted winners like TJ Graham instead of Russ Wilson. Can we pin that one on Whaley?

Watching the video of the trade-up for Watkins...Brandon and Overdorf are just gleeful, all smiles, flying high, after Whaley hangs up the phone. I'm sure Whaley was invested in it and should carry a lot of the responsibility, but looking on the glee displayed by Brandon, that can't have been all Whaley's notion.

I can't say that but Rex was handed some sweet talent with NY. One thing is for sure is that Tannenbaum built a MUCH better team for Rex when he entered year 1 than what Whaley has done for Rex.

Explain and defend, please, because I don't see it.

Yea I do.......Jim Kelly

Oh, in the name of little pink penguins, give it a rest.

Jim Kelly is a huge fan and a deserving HOF QB. But what on earth is there to lead anyone to believe he has interest, let alone aptitude, for the sort of detailed year round talent evaluation and for managing a staff of scouts and pro-personnel guys to bring in as much football talent while staying under the cap?

There's a reason why quality NFL GM's serve an apprenticeship as scouts and pro personnel directors before taking on the GM job - it takes time to develop those skills. Then it takes drive and energy (and yes, ego) to stay on the job once you're in it.

Imo

Ok Leoroi... humor me, just say he neglected it. Who do you think he should have bought in?

Objectively, if you draft a young QB who is known to be a project, it makes no organizational sense to add another QB who is thought to be a project from a weak class in the next draft. The fatal QB flaw really began on Buddy Nix watch as GM, where once we cut Edwards and started Fitzpatrick, IMO we should have been working overtime to scout and draft 1-2 promising QB in 2010-2012. Bridgewater and Carr may be or may not be "all that and a bag of chips" (they haven't proven themselves to me yet) but if we're playing might-have-been, why not pine after Andy Dalton, Russ Wilson, Nick Foles, or even Ryan Tannehill (we could conceivably have moved up for him)? Why start with 2014, which is widely regarded as one of the weaker QB classes?

The point of view I simply don't understand is all the criticism for cutting Fred Jackson and trading Cassell. I think there can be some legitimate criticisms of some of the draft and roster decisions on Whaley's watch, but those two choices? Seriously?

Fredex was the oldest running back in the league last year. He has 11 attempts for 54 yds running for the Seahawks. I find it really difficult to take seriously the football cred anyone who makes a statement like "the move just didn't make sense as a whole".

I thought it was OK to acquire Cassell, but how he looked in training camp was not how I expected. He sees the field better than EJ, but his throws were limp and in case you haven't noticed, during the Dallas game that weekend he threw 3 picks and walked off the field with a 62.3 rating, which is significantly lower than EJ despite EJ's abysmal 2Q play. And we just don't know what was going on where we brought Cassel back and then traded him so quickly, but I don't think everything leaks. For all we know, he made himself PNG in the QB room with how he was pointing out Taylor's mistakes or something.

The point is, neither Jackson or Cassel have done anything so far this season to make cutting them look like a whopping size blooper calling for signs to fire the GM.

I don't know if you missed it but I addressed this earlier. It's not that anyone expected Fred Jackson to carry the team. It's a matter of having a young QB playing behind a mediocre line who could benefit from having the added protection and a check down option out of the backfield, the only other RB on the roster that can do those things had a known injury going into the season, and he cut him anyway. Not to mention it would be nice to have some veteran leadership on a very young unit.

With Cassel it's a two edge sword. Either he gave away our veteran QB who may have won us the game, or else Cassel sucks so hard that one has to question why we came into camp with him and EJ as the primary options at QB before TT showed well in camp. Neither scenario is good.

And it's not like there was any great upside to either move, but those choices very likely cost us a game, a game we couldn't afford to lose. If those were the only Whaley blunders to date it would not be that big a deal, but for those of us who have been scratching our heads as he went "all in" on EJ after a very sketchy rookie season, it's just another blunder that may have cost us yet another season, and for no real return.

I'm waiting for someone to give a real defense of this other than basically saying those guys aren't that great so who cares if they might have helped us get a win even though we got next to no benefit for sending them on their way.

Ok Leoroi... humor me, just say he neglected it. Who do you think he should have bought in?

There are several other scenerios that could have happened.

We could have had a 1st this year, another backfire. With that pick we could have selected a QB.

We wanted McCown, that could have worked out.

He traded Cassel, our insuance policy, backfired, and was left with Bambi.

We were negotiating with Locker, he abruptly retires, he could have been good.

After failing to find EJs replacement, he just complacently rolls with an inferior backup, knowing his potential, backfire.

And several other scenerios...

Whaleys risks backfired big time, which could potentially cost us the season.

He neglected the position.

Imo

There are several other scenerios that could have happened.

We could have had a 1st this year, another backfire. With that pick we could have selected a QB.

We wanted McCown, that could have worked out.

He traded Cassel, our insuance policy, backfired, and was left with Bambi.

We were negotiating with Locker, he abruptly retires, he could have been good.

After failing to find EJs replacement, he just complacently rolls with an inferior backup, knowing his potential, backfire.

And several other scenerios...

Whaleys risks backfired big time, which could potentially cost us the season.

He neglected the position.

Imo

In this post you prove yourself wrong by showing how many ways he tried to address the position, and then show the reasons it wasnt his fault.

Edited by DrDareustein

Ryan, Let me repeat this one more time for you, plans change.

Imo

No reason to repeat anything. Love the snarky tone when called out though. Apologies for repeating facts.

Lol at anyone who thinks Cassel or Locker could have helped. Cassel showed who he is with top OL and a running game. A total bum

You win some you lose some. 2-3 ain't bad.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Ok...Fire Whaley and replace him with who? You will be making another sign in 3-5 years for the new incompetent moron they hire.

I agree. Whaley is somewhat experienced at the GM position at this point. We hope he has learned from some of his previous decisions/gambles that have not turned out well. I think he has earned another chance. Rex is the one I am losing patience with.

Leroi knew about the Bills wanting to sign incognito before any local or national reports were out that he was even visiting the team.

That was actually RalphOP83

Leroi had the Rex and Roman news first, and also called the Darby pick.

Yes, he's also gotten several things wrong.

Things change rapidly behind the scenes. Just because Leroi (or anyone else) ends up proven wrong doesn't mean the info wasn't solid at the time.

I agree. Whaley is somewhat experienced at the GM position at this point. We hope he has learned from some of his previous decisions/gambles that have not turned out well. I think he has earned another chance. Rex is the one I am losing patience with.

i dont get the piling on. seems nearly everyone one here wants to blame someone for being un satisfied.

Do you see the Bills being the train wreck some others do?

His last draft was his best draft.

In this post you prove yourself wrong by showing how many ways he tried to address the position, and then show the reasons it wasnt his fault.

Yeah, I would have to agree. Neglect isn't a word I'd use.

I've said this in another thread, but I am not sure why Whaley was expected to know that Tyrod's injury would have taken place against a team like the Jaguars, that would mask his deep pass deficiencies. On top of that, everyone forgets about the Bengals. I have far more confidence to this day with Manuel against the Bengals than Cassel.

Well, I have gone on record many times that Pegs best move when he took over would've been to throw all of "Ralph's trash" to the curb, wash away the losing stench, and start anew with a clean slate. But that didn't happen, and I'm not campaigning here to dump Whaley. I think he's made some good moves and some bad moves, but overall I think he has indeed improved the talent level on the roster since he took over as GM. I don't think that improvement though has been significant enough to the point that he's guaranteed to get an extension, especially if things keep going south and the internal fighting is/has been actually going on.

this

Pegs should have cleaned house but from his perspective it is wise to see who is good in the org and then make adjustments as need be. He must think very highly of Brandon to put him over both Bills and Sabres and get rid of Black. Maybe TM can be OneBuffalo GM B-)

Ej is "bad". However,Ej is significantly better than Cassel. That is now factual. Especially without a line like that of the Cowboys. That whole portion of the Whaley sucks argument should be done with. Why is it still being used?

A Hypothetical Question required a hypothetical answer.

There are no right and wrong in the hypothetical world, just imagination.

Imo

He signed Taylor and Cassel and drafted EJ. Other than that he completely ignored the QB position.

and those guys are bums, I should have clarified Real QB, hell we'd be better off with Hoyer.

iirc he called the Greg Roman hire when others were touting some other OC, Ronald Darby pick too.

Major fail was when he announced ej would be cut

didn't call Incognito too?

No reason to repeat anything. Love the snarky tone when called out though. Apologies for repeating facts.

That tone you hear is just your self-conscious, my tone is polite and happy.

There is no need to apologize, but accepted.

Imo

Edited by Leroi