The Difference Between Us And The Good Teams?

H2o

We haven't had the greatest coaches this century that's for sure, and its reflected in our play and record. Good teams dont beat themselves. They dont give the other team 90 yards a game in penalties. They don't take stupid penalties like taunting. Think about the stupid crap Stevie would do, the consistent penalties Hughes seems to get every game. Good teams have situational awareness, Good Qbs know when to throw it away and fight another down, dont take sacks that take you out of FG range. Bad QBs force balls they shouldnt, take stupid sacks. They dont run 5 yard routes when its 3rd and 7. Ever watch Edelman and think he's gonna get drilled but he knows when to get down. First down the drive continues. Robert Woods a few weeks ago and Shady last week, probably trying too hard, fighting for a yard or 2 we dont need and boom...fumble. The Leodis play years back against NE on MN, the fumble on the KO. I remember thinking before the kickoff, just dont let them stand you up and strip the ball. What happens....stood up and ball stripped.

Its probably why almost every Bills fan is never really comfortable with a lead. We think how can we screw this up like the Dallas heartbreaking loss years ago. Good teams play smart, bad teams do stupid crap. Good teams find a way to win, bad teams find a way to lose.

Well stated!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's 52-62, but 63-65 if you include the 2001 season when he had the good sense to bench Bledsoe and Brady was a complete unknown who put up average stats. If you include the playoffs, he is 67-66 through 2001.

Way to rewrite history. Bledsoe was injured by Mo Lewis, not benched. Belichick stuck with the hot hand in Brady, as any coach would have. Belichick was rumored to be on the verge of being fired if the team lost another game when the injury occurred , that probably made it even easier of a choice. Brady's stats were mediocre, but BBW needed to save his own Job and Brady was winning. The fact is BB was a resounding mediocrity record wise before Brady. That is indisputable.

I meant BB , not BBW lol. That would have an entirely different connotation not suitable for this board!

Schwartz tenure as HC was marred by undisciplined play and a team that underachieved for it's talent level. Ryan's teams overachieved at first , then things fell apart as the talent level dipped below average. What's the difference? All these Coaches in the NFL are eventually fired and recycled. I don't recall Belichick being available last offseason. The team had already gone the coordinator route and reached to the college ranks. Ryan was the highest profile hire the team has made since Chuck Knox. It was hardly a status quo move. Ryan will get 3 seasons barring a 2-14 disaster type year before that. This story is a long way from over.

If Ryans incompetence, and Roman's cluelessness shine through like I think they will, they may not even finsh this season... The orgnization may, of course, scapegoat Whaley instead, which seems to be the way things are trending... One thing's for sure...if we lose the next two games, there's gonna be major changes.... Rex only gets another season if he pulls this one out.

Discipline and execution. Watching the Pats tonight on something just as simple as a single snap I realized this. Brady went through multiple hard counts trying to draw the defense on one play. I was waiting for someone to move and no one did. Everyone was on the same page.

On defense everyone knows their assignment and plays their role. Pass rushers rush the passer, LB's attack their gaps or get to where they're supposed to be in coverage, the Secondary communicates well, and everyone knows their assignments. Rarely do you see a blown coverage or anyone out of place despite misdirections or play fakes.

This made me think about the other teams who are upper echelon in this league. All have the same attributes, discipline and execution. A lot of it is coaching, but the players still have to execute. Say whatever you want, but we have as much if not more talent then most teams in this league, especially on the defensive side of the ball. There is no excuse for us looking like an FBS team at times as we have this year.

One other difference you failed to mention is we are missing literally half our players on offense, including our right side of the OL, starting QB, most our RBs, top 2 WRs and our 5th WR.

For the love of god, if people can't realize how devastating that is to a team and its ability to win then I don't know what to tell you people. Yes, Ryan and the D have been a disappointment, but the facts are the facts...we have been in every game for the most part, fought back in the second half of games, and had we not been so injury bitten we most likely are sitting with at least 2 more wins, and probably 3 more.

So, to sit here and act like the whole team blows, the staff blows, etc while ignoring the subpar talent being forced to play at several skill positions on offense and missing one of our best DBs still and also AW in our secondary is just crazy to me.

By no means has it been a perfect ride for the staff or the D, but this team is a shell of what it should be thanks to one of the most severe injury situations in the NFL this year. Watkins and Harvin being out on offense is devastating for getting others open whether people want to admit it or not because they prefer to just bash those 2 guys. Karlos Williams was a big loss, especially with McCoy missing time and being at less than 100% the WHOLE season.

Lets get this team healthy again and then we can evaluate just what the problems are.

Way to rewrite history. Bledsoe was injured by Mo Lewis, not benched. Belichick stuck with the hot hand in Brady, as any coach would have. Belichick was rumored to be on the verge of being fired if the team lost another game when the injury occurred , that probably made it even easier of a choice. Brady's stats were mediocre, but BBW needed to save his own Job and Brady was winning. The fact is BB was a resounding mediocrity record wise before Brady. That is indisputable. I meant BB , not BBW lol. That would have an entirely different connotation not suitable for this board!

Bledsoe was indeed benched. He had 3-4 week injury and was not given his job back when he returned. It was quite controversial and received a ton of media attention at the time.

Schwartz tenure as HC was marred by undisciplined play and a team that underachieved for it's talent level. Ryan's teams overachieved at first , then things fell apart as the talent level dipped below average. What's the difference? All these Coaches in the NFL are eventually fired and recycled. I don't recall Belichick being available last offseason. The team had already gone the coordinator route and reached to the college ranks. Ryan was the highest profile hire the team has made since Chuck Knox. It was hardly a status quo move. Ryan will get 3 seasons barring a 2-14 disaster type year before that. This story is a long way from over.

I agree about Schwartz as HC, but our defense was pretty much to be counted on when he was DC

Last year the Seahawks (formerly Seasnakes, renamed in honor of FredEx joining them) were a Superbowl team with a stout D. This year with Quinn as HC in Atlanta, 6-1 isn't looking too shabby.

Specifically a turn-around from 6-10 to a 6-1 start isn't looking too shabby.

So while Belichick wasn't available, and Schwartz as HC arguably wasn't a great idea, other coaches who might be quality, creditable coaches were available.

If Ryans incompetence, and Roman's cluelessness shine through like I think they will, they may not even finsh this season... The orgnization may, of course, scapegoat Whaley instead, which seems to be the way things are trending... One thing's for sure...if we lose the next two games, there's gonna be major changes.... Rex only gets another season if he pulls this one out.

Barring a 4-12 , 5-11 type season, I'd say Ryan returning in 2016 is about 95% likely.

I agree about Schwartz as HC, but our defense was pretty much to be counted on when he was DC

Last year the Seahawks (formerly Seasnakes, renamed in honor of FredEx joining them) were a Superbowl team with a stout D. This year with Quinn as HC in Atlanta, 6-1 isn't looking too shabby.

Specifically a turn-around from 6-10 to a 6-1 start isn't looking too shabby.

So while Belichick wasn't available, and Schwartz as HC arguably wasn't a great idea, other coaches who might be quality, creditable coaches were available.

I don't think you can magically transpose Atlanta's 6-1 start to the Bills as if Quinn is the only factor. Atlanta has a top QB and WR combo in place. They were generally regarded as an underachieving team for the talent level. Was SEA defense good because of Quinn, or because they have stud players all over the place? Yes, other coaches who might be credible quality coaches were available. The Pegulas obviously did not want to go the route of hiring an inexperienced HC. The Bills had tried that and failed several times. They apparently valued an experienced HC.

Clearly our defense has underperformed - when our offense was healthy I liked what I saw not only from the players but Roman as well. The way our defense has played/schemed and the injuries to the offense are so unfortunate because I believe we were ready to come together.

The final determinate is management. No one running the Bills since 1999 has been able to build a playoff team. Whaley has been with the team since 2010. At some point Mr. Pegula need to determine if Whaley is part of the problem, or the solution.

:thumbsup: