TNF: Miami at New England - 8:25 PM EDT on NFL Network

Pettine's scheme and Rex's scheme are not the same. If you watch the games, particularly the all 22s of the first P*ts game and the Bungles, it's clearly scheme.

Those two games, yes. Rex admitted after CIN game that those were errors on scheme. They were actually a departure scheme- wise from a typical Ryan D gameplan. It was more about coverages than pressure on the QB. It backfired both times. Those two stood out for how unusual they were for Rex, they are not the Bills typical scheme. I'm not a fan of playing coverages vs the better QBs. They will find the open guy if given time. You have a better chance of trying to get them off their game and disrupt with pressure. That's usu the hallmark of Ryan D's and I was disappointed with those game plans . I doubt we'll see that approach again.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They kicked butt for two straight years under two different schemes. I think it's all on Ryan & Thurman. dareus hasn't laid down since he got paid. 3 pro bowlers. Something is wrong. This team isn't buying what Ryan is selling.

IMO

Every year is different. What's up w Seattle D ? Same guys, same scheme , same coaches. Different season. The past really means schitt. You still have to perform.

At this point I demand the baby Jesus descends from the clouds and smites tom Brady with a career ending case of leprosy. Too much to ask?

Amen.

Every year is different. What's up w Seattle D ? Same guys, same scheme , same coaches. Different season. The past really means schitt. You still have to perform.

No, it's not the same guys in Seattle. They've lost a ton of depth, and it's really hurt Carroll's ability to rotate his defensive players to keep them fresh. That's my leading theory -- look again at the snap counts for our D linemen last year vs. this year. In some cases it's gone from about 50 percent to 90 percent (Hughes). That's a huge factor in my book. Plus it doesn't help that a good number of that 90 percent is tiring himself out dropping into coverage ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich

My other leading theory: skinny (well, not obese) Rex sucks. Loosen up that gastric band, down some wings, start winning again.

i almost started a Fat Rex > Skinny Rex thread today but showed some restraint

Can't believe these m!@#$s have a defense too. Just not fair

lose the best CB in the league, replace with UDFA... Get better. wtf.

No, it's not the same guys in Seattle. They've lost a ton of depth, and it's really hurt Carroll's ability to rotate his defensive players to keep them fresh. That's my leading theory -- look again at the snap counts for our D linemen last year vs. this year. In some cases it's gone from about 50 percent to 90 percent (Hughes). That's a huge factor in my book. Plus it doesn't help that a good number of that 90 percent is tiring himself out dropping into coverage ...

Well, I'm talking starters, but the Bills have the same issue. They lost Jarius Wynn and Ty Powell, two solid depth guys. They are not rotating DL like Schwartz did. However , Marrone caught flak at times for NOT having his best guys on the field. So which is it? I just don't like magic bullet theories. It's a combination of things , including that every season is it's own thing. What you did in the past means squat. Some years, plays come your way and others you get beat. It's more little things than some overall scheme thing. DCs have dropped guys into coverage with successful zone blitz schemes for years. It's not even that many drop backs as a % of snaps. Guys act like our DL drops into coverage 80% of the time or something. Sounds like a lot of excuse making.