TNF: Miami at New England - 8:25 PM EDT on NFL Network

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm talking starters, but the Bills have the same issue. They lost Jarius Wynn and Ty Powell, two solid depth guys. They are not rotating DL like Schwartz did. However , Marrone caught flak at times for NOT having his best guys on the field. So which is it? I just don't like magic bullet theories. It's a combination of things , including that every season is it's own thing. What you did in the past means squat. Some years, plays come your way and others you get beat. It's more little things than some overall scheme thing. DCs have dropped guys into coverage with successful zone blitz schemes for years. It's not even that many drop backs as a % of snaps. Guys act like our DL drops into coverage 80% of the time or something. Sounds like a lot of excuse making.

My point exactly. We saw a lot more of Wynn, Charles, Bryant last year. (And obviously a lot more of Spikes and less of Lawson playing behind them) The Seahawks and the Bills got a huge advantage from that kind of depth. For the Seahawks it was simply losing guys to free agency. For the Bills, other than Wynn, it was really Rex abandoning Schwartz's rotation, and the results aren't good.

My point exactly. We saw a lot more of Wynn, Charles, Bryant last year. (And obviously a lot more of Spikes and less of Lawson playing behind them) The Seahawks and the Bills got a huge advantage from that kind of depth. For the Seahawks it was simply losing guys to free agency. For the Bills, other than Wynn, it was really Rex abandoning Schwartz's rotation, and the results aren't good.

Yeah. I'd be more likely to subscribe to that theory, fresh legs may have mattered. It seems more plausible a factor then just that the entire scheme is wrong. I can't seem to buy that one. There may have been method to the madness with their insistence on the rotation.

Yeah. I'd be more likely to subscribe to that theory, fresh legs may have mattered. It seems more plausible a factor then just that the entire scheme is wrong. I can't seem to buy that one. There may have been method to the madness with their insistence on the rotation.

If you look at the stats, not to mention the game film, the defense as a UNIT is performing much better than people are giving them credit for, doubly so if you ignore the P*ts and Bungles' games where the game plans were just disasters. The DL is playing well, they are just playing a completely different role in the scheme than many (especially me) expected. Individual numbers are down along the DL, which makes people assume they're not playing "as well" as years past. It's just not the case. They're being ask to do completely different things.

Snap Counts, 2014 % vs. 2015 % through last Sunday:

Hughes 66 % vs. 91.5 %

Mario 65 % vs. 94.3 %

Kyle 72 % vs. 68.4 %

Dareus 78 % vs. 63.2 %

Of course, Dareus missed one full game, so that explains the dropoff. Same with Kyle. But Hughes and Mario are out there just about every single defensive play ...