FILM REVIEW- OLINE/UNFORCED QB ERRORS- WEEK 7 JAGS

Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did /

How the QB did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. there also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalites..but this should be 95% accurate)

DISCLAIMER ( I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS 47 snaps ( last week was 44 snaps) way too many pass attempts yet again

LINE BREAKDOWNS 6 /47 snaps OR 13% ( about the same as last week's 6/ 44 snaps -or 14% )

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION 41 /47 snaps

UNFORCED QB ERRORS: - 13/ 47 snaps or 28% ( worse than last week's 10/44 snaps or 23% ...in other words EJ had time to throw but missed his target or made wrong decision on 28% of these opportunities. LET ME RESTATE THAT.. EJ made unforced errors on nearly 1/3 of his attempts where he had time ( not good)

Bottom Line:

O-LINE FAIRLY SOLID Overall the O Line pass blocking was about the same as it was against the Bengals last week.. solid. EJ generally had time to hit the back of his drop and look to his 1st or 2nd read. They were not perfect.. each lineman ( except for Incognito)made at least one obvious mistake.. however.. they were few and in between.

KOUANDJIOU PASSABLE - Kouandjio's performance was about the same as last week against the Bengals. He generally held up well and has looked better than Henderson looked before his injury. He was not without error however. He committed a false start and was also beaten once in Q2 causing EJ to be hit. Overall.. save for these 2 mistakes he was fairly solid. Not dominating.. but solid enough.

URBIK NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT: Urbik was better this week than last week. Upon watching the game in real time he appeared to be struggling in pass protect all day.. but upon further review he did a decent job. He was only obviously beaten once in Q2 .. causing a hit on EJ and a errant throw. He also had a false start.

EJ EJ EJ - EJ's 13 unforced errors were tough to watch. The accuracy issues are clearly still hampering his performance. The bad throws are frequently too high or too low having the effect of limiting YAC or in the case of missing Gragg in the end zone.. giving up points. Granted there were a few drops ( Clay, Hogan)... but double digit unforced errors are just not good enough for a NFL starting QB. Looking back at previous weeks here are Tyrod's unforced error tallies each week... Week 1 - 3 / Week 2 - 8 / Week 3 - 2 / Week 4 - 3 / and Week 5 - 4. EJ has had double digit unforced errors back to back weeks whereas Tyrod's worst game was 8 unforced errors against the Patriots. Clearly Tyrod makes less mistakes and is more accurate. With all that being said.. EJ still made a couple of great throws despite all the bad decisions/ accuracy issues. His deep ball is much improved.. and at times he displays good footwork and timing.

PREVENT D: Upon watching the game in real time.. I was giving EJ much of the credit for the comeback. Upon further review.. the Jags D was playing prevent for most of the 2nd half and Roman did a good job of calling short timing routes to compensate.. so Kudos to EJ for keeping his head up .. but in reality many of his 2nd half throws were short routes to wide open receivers.

PLAYS OF NOTE

Q1: 14: 56 - UNFORCED ERROR - EJ throws bubble screen at Woods' feet

Q1 - 11:41 - Hogan drops slant

Q1- 11:36 - McCoy misses blitz EJ hit

q1- 7:35 - UNFORCED ERROR - Overthrow to Gragg in endzone

q1-3:11- SACK - Coverage sack

q1-2:25- UNFORCED ERROR- failed checkdown to McCoy.. Hogan wide open on hitch on same side of field as McCoy

q2-13:29- FALSE START Kouandjio

q2-13:12- UNFORCED ERROR _ low throw to Woods forcing Woods to dive

q2 -12:30 - UNFORCED ERROR - fumble on CB blitz... unaccounted blitzer should be QB's responsibility

q2-12-:21 - UNFORCED ERROR - INT - EJ stares down WR - LB reads his eyes

q2-10:06 - UNFORCED ERROR - INT - LB follows EJ''s eyes and gets pick.. plenty of time to throw

q25:51 -UNFORCED ERROR - EJ bounces pass to Woods on ground

q2-2:52- TD - beautiful fly route to Woods... hits drops and releases great timing

q2 1:38 - Urbik beaten to outside.. forces bad throw

q2 :46 - CK gets beat to outside... EJ hit and just misses TD throw to Hogan

q4 : 15:00 - UNFORCED ERROR - EJ has time but forces throw into double coverage .. almost picked off in end zone

q4 14:57- UNFORCED ERROR - overthrows fade to Gragg in endzone out of bounds

q4-12:25- False start Urbik

q4-12:09 - Wood misses stunt.. EJ hit

q4-9:53 - UNFORCED ERROR - off target screen pass to McCoy

q4 - FUMBLE - Wood gets blown up and his guy hits EJ causing fumble

q4 - UNFORCED ERROR - SACK - EJ should have thrown it away

q4 - 6:41 - TD - beautiful bomb to Easley

q4- 57 - UNFORCED ERROR - EJ floats last out route to Woods.. more zip on ball may have resulted in completion

SUMMARY The o-line was not the problem in the passing game today. Most of EJ's problems were of his own doing. Taking a second look at the All 22 Coaches Film. Taking a look at the Coaches Film.. it's obvious the Jags linebackers were keying on EJ's eyes and not worrying about much else when it came to pass coverage. If Tyrod is healthy and can get this type of protection from the O Line against the Dolphins.. the Bills should be in good shape ( assuming he has healthy receivers to throw to).

O Line Pass block grades

GLENN A-

INCOGNITO A-

WOOD C-

URBIK C+

KOUANDJIO - C

Thanks for the info. Great job as usual. You probably need a drink or three after watching that.

The "comeback" against a "prevent D" is a good input. I think we all kind of knew that was the case, but it's good to get confirmation.

Thankfully next week is a bye week so I can just kick back relax and objectively watch other teams play.

Silver lining in all this is that the O line has improved by leaps and bounds in pass protect compared to last year

One observation: Eric Wood is digressing, is it time to look for a new center in the draft?

Wood has been up and down this year.. but I would say that on the whole he has performed at a higher level this year than last year... I would not say he has digressed. Last year he was consistently underperforming ( maybe having better guards next to him this year has helped??) He had a few games where he looked very solid, and a few games where he made a few mistakes ( mind you I only grade pass blocking so I don't know about run blocking)

Even so.. I think looking for a new center in the draft next year is not a bad idea. He is certainly not the pro bowl caliber player he was earlier in his career.

Not that I trust PFF a ton, but here's some of their feedback on the OL:

Based on what I've seen so far I am not surprised to see

• Glenn where he is middle of the pack ( he has been solid but not pro bowl/dominant level)
  • Kouandjio in the top 50 .. ahead of Henderson who is not even on the list. To my eye Kouandjio has held up pretty well considering the last few games have been his first real action at RT. To my eye he has been better than Henderson also.

QfzWZyAq_bigger.jpgPro Football Focus ‏@PFF

Top 5 O-Lines in pass blocking efficiency: 1. Cowboys 2. Raiders 3. Bengals 4. Falcons 5. Bills

Top 32 Tackles by '15 Season Grade: Free Trial: http://bit.ly/1Ejm7so

CSWqNdgUsAANxt6.jpg

Not that I trust PFF a ton, but here's some of their feedback on the OL:

Top 5 O-Lines in pass blocking efficiency: 1. Cowboys 2. Raiders 3. Bengals 4. Falcons 5. Bills

Top 32 Tackles by '15 Season Grade: Free Trial: http://bit.ly/1Ejm7so

CSWqNdgUsAANxt6.jpg

Based on what I've seen so far those rankings seem fair...

•Glenn where he is middle of the pack ( he has been solid but not pro bowl/dominant level)

•Kouandjio in the top 50 .. ahead of Henderson who is not even on the list. To my eye Kouandjio has held up pretty well considering the last few games have been his first real action at RT. To my eye he has been better than Henderson also.