Teal Pumpkin?

Dante

Is this a national thing? A Cali thing or maybe just my neighborhood thing? When my wife was reading me this thread in the car I thought it was something pulled from The Onion. Not so. It's legit from our Next Door message board site. Which makes it even better. Man I knew my neighborhood was lame but not this bad. Perhaps I'm just in a bad frame of mind because the HOA is making me take my shed down that I just friggen built. Anyway I copied and pasted.

"Halloween and The Teal Pumpkin Project 2d ago
Hillary Kokes from Alamo Creek
Photo from Hillary Kokes
The Teal Pumpkin Project encourages people to paint a pumpkin teal, the color of food allergy awareness, to indicate that their home is safe for trick-or-treaters with food allergies and offering non-food treats such as small toys.
We don't offer candy or food items at our house for Halloween, instead you will find rubber ducks, yo-yo's, glow sticks and things of that nature. Will you join in this year and ‪#‎dumpthejunk‬? Help make Halloween fun for the kids who aren't able to consume vast amounts of candy in record time.
Food allergies, feeding tubes and other health issues don't have to equal no fun at Halloween!
We are spray painting our pumpkin tomorrow, will you join us in painting a pumpkin teal and passing something other than just candy this year? If you enjoy passing out candy, that's okay too. Simply consider adding non-food treats to your giveaway basket as well.
Edited 2d ago • Shared with Alamo Creek + 7 nearby neighborhoods in General
THANK 7 REPLY 5
Keith, Eri, Anna, and 4 others thanked Hillary
Picture of Kevin Norrett
Kevin Norrett from Alamo Creek 2d ago
We will! Our pumpkin is painted teal and we will have both candy and non candy treats!
Thank Flag
Hillary thanked Kevin
Louise Darby has no photo
Louise Darby from Alamo Creek 2d ago
We already have our teal pumpkin outside and a cauldron ready for the 31st filled with non-edible goodies
Thank Flag
Hillary thanked Louise
Linda Francis has no photo
Linda Francis from Blackhawk 1d ago
Candy is such a challenge for families with children who have Type 1 diabetes, too. Great idea!
Thank Flag
Hillary thanked Linda
Picture of Joy Chai
Joy Chai from Alamo Creek 1d ago
We will also offer both non-candy and candy treats! Thank you for the heads up!
Thank Flag
Hillary thanked Joy
Eri Jardine has no photo
Eri Jardine from Alamo Creek 14h ago
What a great idea! We are also prepared with non candy and candy treats. Happy Halloween everyone :-)
Thank Flag
Hillary thanked Eri

I think it's low penetration to this point but yeah, I've heard of it. I'm normally a traditionalist, but I think it's great. Doesn't require much effort and the allergies aren't the kids' fault.

Now that I have my own kids, a big bag of candy no longer seems like such a hot idea anyway.

The teal pumpkin thing is national. Good idea, IMO.

I've heard about curfews but not in my area/association. I'm down with the 8pm cutoff, though.

We bought extra candy this year, with Halloween falling on a Sat. night. But I don't envision going much past 8pm. Especially since it will be Game 4 of the World Series.

Is this a national thing? A Cali thing or maybe just my neighborhood thing? When my wife was reading me this thread in the car I thought it was something pulled from The Onion. Not so. It's legit from our Next Door message board site. Which makes it even better. Man I knew my neighborhood was lame but not this bad. Perhaps I'm just in a bad frame of mind because the HOA is making me take my shed down that I just friggen built. Anyway I copied and pasted.

Photo from Hillary Kokes

The Teal Pumpkin Project encourages people to paint a pumpkin teal, the color of food allergy awareness, to indicate that their home is safe for trick-or-treaters with food allergies and offering non-food treats such as small toys.

We don't offer candy or food items at our house for Halloween, instead you will find rubber ducks, yo-yo's, glow sticks and things of that nature. Will you join in this year and #‎dumpthejunk? Help make Halloween fun for the kids who aren't able to consume vast amounts of candy in record time.

Food allergies, feeding tubes and other health issues don't have to equal no fun at Halloween!

We are spray painting our pumpkin tomorrow, will you join us in painting a pumpkin teal and passing something other than just candy this year? If you enjoy passing out candy, that's okay too. Simply consider adding non-food treats to your giveaway basket as well.

Edited 2d ago • Shared with Alamo Creek + 7 nearby neighborhoods in General

THANK 7 REPLY 5

Keith, Eri, Anna, and 4 others thanked Hillary

Picture of Kevin Norrett

Kevin Norrett from Alamo Creek 2d ago

We will! Our pumpkin is painted teal and we will have both candy and non candy treats!

Thank Flag

Hillary thanked Kevin

Louise Darby has no photo

Louise Darby from Alamo Creek 2d ago

We already have our teal pumpkin outside and a cauldron ready for the 31st filled with non-edible goodies

Thank Flag

Hillary thanked Louise

Linda Francis has no photo

Linda Francis from Blackhawk 1d ago

Candy is such a challenge for families with children who have Type 1 diabetes, too. Great idea!

Thank Flag

Hillary thanked Linda

Picture of Joy Chai

Joy Chai from Alamo Creek 1d ago

We will also offer both non-candy and candy treats! Thank you for the heads up!

Thank Flag

Hillary thanked Joy

Eri Jardine has no photo

Eri Jardine from Alamo Creek 14h ago

What a great idea! We are also prepared with non candy and candy treats. Happy Halloween everyone :-)

Thank Flag

Hillary thanked Eri

Read the thread title & figured it was about Joe Thornton. :P

Photo from Hillary Kokes

!@#$ that. I'm carving that thing, and handing out peanuts.

Man, HOA's need to die.

Not sure HOA's are the problem as much as new owners who don't read the Covenants and Restrictions BEFORE they buy a house in a specific development. Rules and regs are clearly spelled out for all to see, read and follow. On the other hand, HOA Boards that selectively enforce those rules and regs create major problems for all concerned.

Not sure HOA's are the problem as much as new owners who don't read the Covenants and Restrictions BEFORE they buy a house in a specific development. Rules and regs are clearly spelled out for all to see, read and follow. On the other hand, HOA Boards that selectively enforce those rules and regs create major problems for all concerned.

And what's the name of the HOA that you're the president of?

Well they can now deal with a ugly blue tarp over my stuff until I figure it out. What is puzzling to me is that if they are so concerned about aesthetics, why do they allow beautiful mission style tile roofing be replaced with ugly solar panels? These are all over my area. This totally screws with the appearance of the neighborhood .

Edited by Dante

No, HOAs need to die a painful death. It really amazes me that people are so willing to give up their rights to autonomous land ownership. HOAs stem from everyone's fear and reluctance of dealing with their neighbors, or basically any difficult issue that requires them to actually get involved and confront something. So hey, let's put all the decisions on an untouchable group of people, who regularly let the rules get insanely out of control, just so that we don't have to feel uncomfortable.

The biggest problem at this point is that they are almost everywhere and spreading fast. If you want to live in any type of urban area above the level of slum, you're likely going to be dealing with an HOA, or will be soon enough. Hell, it's hard enough to find land in rural areas that don't have covenants in place by some state or land ownership committee.

I've been able to avoid them so far, but I still have one more planned move ahead of me in about 3 years. I really hope I'm able to find the home I'm looking for outside of an HOA. My guess is I'll have to settle for something else in order to actually have some control over my property.

Edited by Acantha

No, HOAs need to die a painful death. It really amazes me that people are so willing to give up their rights to autonomous land ownership. HOAs stem from everyone's fear and reluctance of dealing with their neighbors, or basically any difficult issue that requires them to actually get involved and confront something. So hey, let's put all the decisions on an untouchable group of people, who regularly let the rules get insanely out of control, just so that we don't have to feel uncomfortable.

The biggest problem at this point is that they are almost everywhere and spreading fast. If you want to live in any type of urban area above the level of slum, you're likely going to be dealing with an HOA, or will be soon enough. Hell, it's hard enough to find land in rural areas that don't have covenants in place by some state or land ownership committee.

I've been able to avoid them so far, but I still have one more planned move ahead of me in about 3 years. I really hope I'm able to find the home I'm looking for outside of an HOA. My guess is I'll have to settle for something else in order to actually have some control over my property.

It's even better when you're living in a new construction neighborhood and the builder has full control of the HOA. They had the first annual meeting last week and the builder couldn't even be bothered to show up. So you have this meeting where no decisions can be made whatsoever because the sole voter no showed. Thanks for wasting my time.

It's even better when you're living in a new construction neighborhood and the builder has full control of the HOA. They had the first annual meeting last week and the builder couldn't even be bothered to show up. So you have this meeting where no decisions can be made whatsoever because the sole voter no showed. Thanks for wasting my time.

The only real benefit I get from my HOA is septic and leach field maintenance. They also insure common areas, but other than that, I think it's a rip off. They really don't enforce much; but then again, there aren't many violators. But there is one house that is just a pig sty and I wish they would make them mow the lawn and fix the light pole that's been damaged for about 4 years.

Whoa, a lot of bad experiences expressed above! I guess I'm the fortunate one since I live in a sixty-seven home HOA complex and all appears to go quite well if the owners' positive comments and continued support of the Board and the contractors they hire are indicators of satisfaction.

If your experiences with HOAs are bad, then your comments above are warranted. HOAs are like everything else, some good, some not so much....