Eric Wood is 2nd ranked Center in NFL by PFF

YoloinOhio

@PFF: Top 5 Centers by '15 Season Grade:

Kalil 91.5 CAR

Wood 83.2 BUF

Richburg 82.5 NYG

Pouncey 81.8 MIA

Berger 79.7 MIN

The main reason I hoped Tyrod would step up was because of what Doug Flutie did for Jerry Ostroski.

Things have come together fairly well for the offense.

The D and the ST have been highly disappointing.

I doin't profess to be an O-Line expert, but that surprises me. Both from reading here and watching the entire line seem to struggle. What to believe?

I would've guessed middle of the pack. Might be part pff being hit or miss, and part other lines also having struggles.

I don't think any line lives up to fan expectations but I wouldn't have guessed him top 5.

The main reason I hoped Tyrod would step up was because of what Doug Flutie did for Jerry Ostroski.

Things have come together fairly well for the offense.

The D and the ST have been highly disappointing.

In the Bengal game I thought our OL played well. McCoy had running lanes and took advantage of it. The OL also did a good job protecting EJ on pass plays. Incognito is playing as well as any guard in the league. His presence has helped the linemen playing alongside of him.

What elevates the play of the OL (as you suggest) is the play of the qb. If the qb decisively goes into pass play it helps the OL. If the qb naturely moves in the pocket then that also helps out the OL in pass blocking. EJ certainly is not an accurate passer. But in this game I saw him efficiently move up in the pocket to avoid the pressure and get the pass off. His problem in that game was not the OL but the problems associated with his inaccurarcy.Even when he completes passes his ball placement is horrendous. .

Every year fans seem to pick out a player and label him as a weak link. For the past couple of years Eric Wood has been singaled out as a problem. I wouldn't put Wood in the elite category but I would consider him as an effective center. For the past few years Wood has played alongside some very mediocre linemates. That certainly has diminished his effectiveness.

The bottom line is if you elevate the play of the qb you will elevate the play of the OL.

A bit surprising as every time we try to run up the middle, the running back has to fight to get back to the line of scrimmage.

The counter point is on the QB sneaks in this last game the push was great. It worked every time.

I thought aside from a few plays they held their own. Shady clearly such a better running back than anything we've seen in ages. He finds something when there is nothing and broke some defenders ankles a few time.

The counter point is on the QB sneaks in this last game the push was great. It worked every time.

I thought aside from a few plays they held their own. Shady clearly such a better running back than anything we've seen in ages. He finds something when there is nothing and broke some defenders ankles a few time.

yes - he makes the OL look better

He does have some serious quickness.

If I have a criticism, it's that he has a habit of stutter stepping when it is just not necessary. He leaves yards on the field.

Hope Roman gets him more involved in the passing game. He is a weapon. My guess is they won't until he is 100%.

GO BILLS!!!

In the Bengal game I thought our OL played well. McCoy had running lanes and took advantage of it. The OL also did a good job protecting EJ on pass plays. Incognito is playing as well as any guard in the league. His presence has helped the linemen playing alongside of him.

What elevates the play of the OL (as you suggest) is the play of the qb. If the qb decisively goes into pass play it helps the OL. If the qb naturely moves in the pocket then that also helps out the OL in pass blocking. EJ certainly is not an accurate passer. But in this game I saw him efficiently move up in the pocket to avoid the pressure and get the pass off. His problem in that game was not the OL but the problems associated with his inaccurarcy.Even when he completes passes his ball placement is horrendous. .

Every year fans seem to pick out a player and label him as a weak link. For the past couple of years Eric Wood has been singaled out as a problem. I wouldn't put Wood in the elite category but I would consider him as an effective center. For the past few years Wood has played alongside some very mediocre linemates. That certainly has diminished his effectiveness.

The bottom line is if you elevate the play of the qb you will elevate the play of the OL.

No, Wood is bad.

As I said in the offseason.....the primary reason I wanted Tyrod to end up the starter was because a super-mobile QB masks the deficiencies of an OL....in particular the center.

And here we are. :thumbsup:

The wrong thing for a defense to do with Tyrod is to attack and lose contain..........see the hell he rained on the Titans when their DT's lost contain a week ago.

The Bengals prepared a gameplan for Tyrod and that's what they executed.

It helped EJ a lot having a pocket to work with but unfortunately EJ couldn't place the ball like he did in preseason.

I will say this much.....there is a dearth of high quality centers nowadays....but with nose tackles on the outs and the run game no longer emphasized like it was the center position is not as valued any longer.

No, Wood is bad.

As I said in the offseason.....the primary reason I wanted Tyrod to end up the starter was because a super-mobile QB masks the deficiencies of an OL....in particular the center.

And here we are. :thumbsup:

The wrong thing for a defense to do with Tyrod is to attack and lose contain..........see the hell he rained on the Titans when their DT's lost contain a week ago.

The Bengals prepared a gameplan for Tyrod and that's what they executed.

It helped EJ a lot having a pocket to work with but unfortunately EJ couldn't place the ball like he did in preseason.

I will say this much.....there is a dearth of high quality centers nowadays....but with nose tackles on the outs and the run game no longer emphasized like it was the center position is not as valued any longer.

Respectfully disagree. I'm not suggesting that Wood is an all-star center but I consider him (this year) to be a solid center. As I said in the prior post upgrade the play of the qb and an upgrade on OL performance will follow.

In the Cincinatti game I thought the OL played well. They did a good job in pass blocking and there were lanes for McCoy to follow. Your eyes are more jaundiced than mine.

Respectfully disagree. I'm not suggesting that Wood is an all-star center but I consider him (this year) to be a solid center. As I said in the prior post upgrade the play of the qb and an upgrade on OL performance will follow.

In the Cincinatti game I thought the OL played well. They did a good job in pass blocking and there were lanes for McCoy to follow. Your eyes are more jaundiced than mine.

i think Wood has had good games this year and is generally better than last year. I think the line will continue to improve with Kromer back and if McCoy is out there as good RBs help the line. The line looked the worst IMO vs the Giants and I think that had a lot to do with Urbik being out there instead of Miller. Miller isn't great yet but a lot of line play is affected by synergy and comfort playing together.

Geno Atkins did not seem to be a huge problem on Sunday.

That's a good point. And if I'm going to ding Woods and say that he has to step it up in part because of PFF grading then I should give him props when it shows him doing well. Last season i noticed him because of his poor play and this season I haven't noticed him at all. He did need to step up his play and it appears that he has. His poor performances the last couple years could have been due to poor guard play around him (always having to look to help out) or playing with injuries. Tough players who don't complain about those sorts of things, play through them and have their play suffer are often the targets of frustrated fans. In any event he looks to be playing like I hoped he would and I've got to tip my cap to him.

Edited by BarleyNY

That's a good point. And if I'm going to ding Woods and say that he has to step it up in part because of PFF grading then I should give him props when it shows him doing well. Last season i noticed him because of his poor play and this season I haven't noticed him at all. He did need to step up his play and it appears that he has. His poor performances the last couple years could have been due to poor guard play around him (always having to look to help out) or playing with injuries. Tough players who don't complain about those sorts of things, play through them and have their play suffer are often the targets of frustrated fans. In any event he looks to be playing like I hoped he would and I've got to tip my cap to him.

does Michael Bennett start for the Jags at DT? If so I would expect Wood to not have too much trouble with him (though I loved him

at OSU) compared to some of the other guys he's had to block this year. I do think Jax has decent pass rushers though.