(OT) Mmmmmmmmmmmm......

stevestojan

Darin when do you get the legs fresh. Thought I saw a special that said basically all of the crab is processed and frozen on the boat. Man, I bet fresh King Crab is just awesome. Had King Crab for the Superbowl. Appetizer was spiced shrimp, which one must use Wye River Spicy Black Pepper recipe, Old Bay is for the birds

240182[/snapback]

Our crabs are delivered live. The ones you get have been cleaned, cooked, and frozen. They're good but not as good as the ones we get.

Also, there is a difference in kings. The Reds are the best but also more expensive than the golden. If you're eating them in a restaurant, they're most likely golden.

Now you know why tater comes to his rescue all the time.  :D

240178[/snapback]

you really need to get a life...what is this about the third time today you brought me up in a thread today...sorry not interested in you...happily married...though I am flattered by your obsession with me :devil:

Our crabs are delivered live.  The ones you get have been cleaned, cooked, and frozen.  They're good but not as good as the ones we get.

Also, there is a difference in kings.  The Reds are the best but also more expensive than the golden.  If you're eating them in a restaurant, they're most likely golden.

240191[/snapback]

What is the differance. Being on the east coast, I have only eaten the frozen, obviosly. But they have always been"red" or so I thought. Why do you think I get the golds?

Also, isn't there only a short season for the kings? Or is that only for commercial, and recreational guys can fish all year round for crabs?

Our crabs are delivered live.  The ones you get have been cleaned, cooked, and frozen.  They're good but not as good as the ones we get.

Also, there is a difference in kings.  The Reds are the best but also more expensive than the golden.  If you're eating them in a restaurant, they're most likely golden.

240191[/snapback]

The harvesting has been the subject of a number of Discovery and History Channel offerings. Tough men; one or the other called it the most hazardous occupation out there.

Link to all you need to know about King Crab

http://www.fishermansexpress.com/king-crab.html

May be ordering some form here. Usaually get them at the Costco for about $13/lb, $11/lb on sale

240230[/snapback]

That site sells reindeer sausage. Great treat to have on the dinner table for the kids at Christmas time! :devil:

Ah, so we have gone from lobster to reindeer sausage, all in one thread!!!

240235[/snapback]

And to think, Rudolph used to B word and moan just cause people laughed, called him names, and didn't let him play any games with him.... Well, guess what, Rudy! You're just lucky you're not getting marinated in some beer and onions right now!

What is the differance. Being on the east coast, I have only eaten the frozen, obviosly. But they have always been"red" or so I thought. Why do you think I get the golds?

Also, isn't  there only a short season for the kings? Or is that only for commercial, and recreational guys can fish all year round for crabs?

240219[/snapback]

If the legs you get are uniformly colored (red orange), you're eating golden king crab. If they are REALLY BIG and have a creamy white underside, you're eating red king, unless it has dark tips - which means it's blue king. If you're buying at a low price, you're probably getting golden.

Alot of what is passed off as Alaskan Red King is actually pulled from Russian waters. It's not the consistantly as good as what is pulled from the waters here.

I'm not aware of too many individuals here who go for king crab (deep cold water and very expensive to harvest in very dangerous waters). Alaskans tend to crab for dungeness and snow crabs. We also have pretty good luck with shrimp pots when we're out for halibut.

Reds are taken in the fall.

after working at red lobster throughout high school and part of college, i agree that they don't feel pain... The thrashing is an automatic nervous reaction... Yes, a nervous reaction, not a pain sensing reaction. At RL, to steam a lobster, its inserted into a dry steamer box, where steam is forced under pressure into the box, killing it almost instantly. No pain. The boiling pot method is a little slower. The squeeling noise is not the lobster screaming in pain, but the sound of water INSIDE the shell boiling and forcing itself out as steam. That lobster is dead between the time that its inserted into the water and when the tongs are let go.

Our method of stuffing a lobster involvedflipping it on its back, sticking a knife inbetween its eyes, pressing down till you hit the other shell, and cutting down till the start of the tail, scooping out its guts, putting a scoop of stuffing into the cavity, and baking. That too involved some thrashing around, but rest assured, no pain... I know this because i speak lobster... They have told me that they don't feel pain. I've communicated this to PETA, but they just put bumper stickers all over my SUV and flipped it.

Our method of stuffing a lobster involvedflipping it on its back, sticking a knife inbetween its eyes, pressing down till you hit the other shell, and cutting down till the start of the tail, scooping out its guts, putting a scoop of stuffing into the cavity, and baking.  That too involved some thrashing around, but rest assured, no pain...  I know this because i speak lobster...  They have told me that they don't feel pain.  I've communicated this to PETA, but they just put bumper stickers all over my SUV and flipped it.

240365[/snapback]

LOL...that was fricking hilarious. As a former fishmonger, I can feel your pain. :devil: